Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
WDWlover717
Becoming a WDW pro, one trip at a time!

All Star Music or Pop Century?

Hello, DIS Friends!

DH and I are booking trip tonight for December 19-24. We are wanting to stay value. Art of Animation is a little pricey, so we are looking at ASMu and POP. The only resort we have not stayed at is ASMu. I know this resort is older and I was wanting to know if it has been refurbed in the last several years? Out of these two resorts, which would you pick and why?
March 2008-Pop Century Resort-DH's FIRST TRIP TO DISNEY
September 2010-All Star Sports Resort-ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
July 2011-Pop Century Resort-MY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
May 2012-All Star Movies Resort-"JUST BECAUSE" TRIP

December 2012-Port Orleans Riverside-NEW HOME/NEW JOB CELEBRATION
May 2013-Pop Century-New Addition Celebration
WDWlover717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
soblessed
Earning My Ears

I stayed at POP the year it opened we loved it. Stayed in the 80's building (Pac-man) it was very clean and the buses were efficient. The food court was typical nothing exceptional.

Stayed at Music in 2010 and it was also clean and lots of fun. We loved the movies/activities at the pool and the CM's were all very friendly. Music was recently renovated.

Since you wanted to stay at AoA I would pick POP because you can walk over to AoA and take pictures. And you would have another dining option. POP has movies and activities by the pool as well.

I was having this same dilemma (sports or movies).

You can't go wrong with either choice. Enjoy your trip
soblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I would pick POP b/c of AOA being close to visit and also you can ask for a lakeview room at no additional cost.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POP once and to us it felt "too big" compared to the All Stars.

That said I do agree with the PP it would be fun for you to stay at POP and walk over to AoA to see it and to visit their food court.
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
msmith07101
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both, though Music was many years ago. We are staying at Pop in a few weeks. 2 reasons...I really liked it when I stayed 2 years ago...good food court, busses were good...was a good experience. And my sisters family is staying in a suite at AoA, so we choose Pop so we could be close to each other. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
'94 Port Orleans French Qtr/'95 Caribbean Beach Resort/'97 Coronado Springs/'01 All Star Music/'02 Sandals Royal Caribbean Jamaica/'05 CBR/'07 Disneyland & California Adventure- offsite/'08 Beaches Boscobel Jamaica/May 23,09 Disney Magic
December 2009 WDW CBR & Universal RPR
June 2010 Venice & Rome Italy
December 2010 Pop Century...to see my son & his HS marching band perform at WDW & US Macy's Parade!!
November 2012 Pop Century
November 2013- NYC- Macys Parade HS Band Trip

msmith07101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at either but would pick AS Music. I just like the theme more, really. Plus, it's fun to try new resorts.

My one concern that time of year would be buses, since I think Pop has its own bus and the All-Stars share. I don't think they share during such a busy time, though?
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
jsw1114
Mouseketeer

We stayed at pop in 2008 and loved every min, we were in the 50s buildings not too far from main building then went to movies in 2011 we were less than impressed we were all the way at the back towards a parking lot the buses were horrible because they run all three all stars we did enjoy the food court but the walk to the main building felt like forever. We went back this past sept and my husband made me choose a moderate because we just felt like at movies we were the bottom of the barrel so to speak. We stayed at POR and it was really nice it was also the first time we stayed in a preferred room we were close to everything. I just don't know if it was worth the money, we only sleep there, I want to go back to POP next year
jsw1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWlover717 View Post
Hello, DIS Friends!

DH and I are booking trip tonight for December 19-24. We are wanting to stay value. Art of Animation is a little pricey, so we are looking at ASMu and POP. The only resort we have not stayed at is ASMu. I know this resort is older and I was wanting to know if it has been refurbed in the last several years? Out of these two resorts, which would you pick and why?
I have stayed at both and I prefer POP. I like the pools better, I like the food court better, I like the layout of the food court and gift shop better, and I like the theme better.

However, if you are looking for a smaller and more quiet resort experience you should go for ASMu.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

I have stayed at Music twice and will soon be making my fourth stay at Pop. I prefer Pop because of the dedicated bus service and proximity to all parks (as compared to Music which is a bit more remote). I also like Pop's food court, the lake, and how it is compact. I look forward to making that stroll over to AoA to check things out there too.
Music is a decent place to stay too. I think it has had a refurb since I stayed there last 6-7 years ago.
Zippa D Doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

We vastly prefer Asmu. The beds at Pop are rock hard.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post

My one concern that time of year would be buses, since I think Pop has its own bus and the All-Stars share. I don't think they share during such a busy time, though?
I've stayed at the All Star resorts 4 times now. Each resort has its own bus way more often than they share. And when they share it adds maybe 5 minutes to the trip, as the resorts are all connected by their parking lots.

I've booked the Pop twice, but always changed my reservation. I like the smaller size of the All Stars compared to the Pop. And I like that the food court and gift shop are not connected as they are at the Pop. Seems like a weird design, to have to cut thru one to get to the other.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at POP 9 times and ASMusic many times. I much prefer ASMusic. The reasons I like it better are it's smaller and easier to maneuver, the decor, the sections are fun to go to and take random pictures, the pools are not overly crowded, and the buses rarely share and even when they do, they are not nearly as crowded as the buses at POP. DS22 loves to try all the resorts and I do too, but sometimes I just have to get me some ASMusic in so I book that.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
ang
"My life, my love, my children"

I stand at both, we prefer Pop. When stayed at Music we has a lot of school kids there at the time. We went to music in Dec. the first week. But we did enjoy it there.
off site 1994 Port Orleans Resort 1995Caribbean Resort 1996 All Start Movie Resort 1999: All Star Movies Resort 2000 All Star Music Resort 2003 Pop Century 2004 Pop Century aug/2007 Pop Century June/2009 Royal Pacific Hotel 2011/Pop Century 2014

ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
JessM
We all have a dream

I would chose the Pop Century. It has a better layout and a dedicated bus. I have never been there that close to Christmas but I would assume the dedicated bus alone would make all the difference! We also enjoyed the food court and the layout more. Having everything (gift-shop, food court, bus stop, check-in) in one central location is great. After you load on a bus to go to a park there is not stopping to pick other guests up at different areas.

I have stayed at Pop pretty much every year since they opened and I love it! This is coming from someone who was used to Deluxe Resorts! We have stayed at the Contemporary, Poly, Beach Club, and Yacht club but love the valve and convenience of Pop.

Have a great trip!
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
We stayed at POP once and to us it felt "too big" compared to the All Stars.

That said I do agree with the PP it would be fun for you to stay at POP and walk over to AoA to see it and to visit their food court.
Ditto!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: