Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
jgh
Peter Pan!

Help us choose a resort!

I know it's a bit far in advance, but we're hoping to do a Disneymoon in April 2014! Just trying to start planning in advanced...I think I'm more excited about planning the Disneymoon rather than the wedding.

I've been to Disney probably 20 or so times and we've only ever stayed in All Star Resorts or Pop Century. My future DH has only been three times (twice with me and once many many years ago with his family). Twice he's stayed just off-property (4 miles from our on-property hotel when he went with us) and once he was at Pop with us when we got two rooms there. I have no idea where they stayed off-property when they went years ago.

Anyway, we're looking to stay somewhere a little nicer than the Value resorts, though there's nothing wrong with those at all! We will continue staying at the Value's after our Disneymoon but we wanted to stay somewhere a little more special! We honestly have no idea where to stay! There are SO many options and I just haven't seen the inside of any of them except All Star and Pop! We don't want to go overboard with the money (no super expensive rooms), but we also want something special! Does anyone have any suggestions? We'd both definitely rather have Disney or fairytaleish-themed/inspired rooms rather than just decorated ones...if that makes sense.

ETA: Oh! And even though I'm a Disney-nut I'm not that great with abbreviations. :P Full names please!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

Since you want Disney decorated and don't want to spend over the top, I would suggest the Royal Rooms at Port Orleans Riverside.
You can see great pictures at www.portorleans.org
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
effervescent
Mouseketeer

Our favorite rooms, although not fairy tale, were the pirate rooms at Caribbean Beach. We didn't care for Port Orleans Riverside last year so we haven't tried the Royal Rooms although they are on our someday list.

Dec '04 - Pop * Jan '06 - offsite * Oct '06 - Pop * Sept '08 - ASMu * Nov '08 - offsite * Oct '09 - Pop * Oct '10 - CBR * Dec '10 - CSR * Jan '11 - Pop *
Sept '11 - POR * Feb '12 - Pop * Oct '12 - POFQ/CBR
effervescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
jgh
Peter Pan!

Both the Royal Room and the Pirate Rooms sound awesome.

I actually have a co-worker going down in a few months that is staying in the Royal Rooms! That's definitely one we will look into! Thanks for the suggestions!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

I would definitely do the Port Orleans Royal Rooms. You should feel like a princess 24/7.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Stbissell
Mouseketeer

My fiancée and I are renting points and staying at the Boardwalk for our honeymoon. We picked Boardwalk for the proximity to Epcot and DHS and the nightlife in the Boardwalk area. After working it out it actually would be cheaper than staying at a moderate. We got a Boardwalk view tho and it's about the same. 11 months from your honeymoon I'd start looking on here or ***********. We rented $11 per point. In the the meantime I'd research the DVC resorts to see if one works for you guys. If not I'd say Riverside is mist suitable for a Honeymoon.
Stbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

We rented points as well for our honeymoon. Got a savannah view room (value studio with a request for ostrich trail) at AKL for $10 a point. Worked out to just over $100/night for our 10 night stay

AKL is romantic and lovely. I LOVE wilderness lodge as you can watch the water pageant from the hot tub, and you're just a boat ride away from MK. Both have a more secluded feel.

Our last trip we stayed at Saratoga and really liked it. Much bigger than we have been used to lately, but a great pool and decor. Nice quick walk to downtown Disney.

This next trip we are staying at BCV, and really looking forward to walking to Epcot and DHS

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stbissell View Post
11 months from your honeymoon I'd start looking on here or ***********.
I'd say that about a year out, start looking for people renting and set up a prospective agreement- things like the value studios at AKL sell out at the 11 month mark.

And I think what stbissell was trying to say is finding some people who are owners of the mouse.... in no particular order would probably be helpful

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
OLIVIA'S DADDY
Mouseketeer

Anywhere on the monorail, animal kingdom is amaazing as well if you dont mind the bus to and from the parks...honestly the grand floridian seems like the "disneymoon" worthy, very elegant and classy with all the disney touches.
OLIVIA'S DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. Even though they are deluxes they are the 2 less expensive ones.

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
mgb70
Earning My Ears

Congrats!
mgb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Stbissell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
I'd say that about a year out, start looking for people renting and set up a prospective agreement- things like the value studios at AKL sell out at the 11 month mark.

And I think what stbissell was trying to say is finding some people who are owners of the mouse.... in no particular order would probably be helpful
Yes exactly. If you cannot figure that out and you need some help send me a private message if you want to try to rent points. GL
Stbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
wonderlandaddict
DIS Veteran

I love Wilderness Lodge! We celebrated our 20th anniversary there in Feb and spent alot of time just enjoying the resort. We also love Beach Club because of the boardwalk and how close it is to Epcot and Studios. Wilderness Lodge is 1st choice and more affordable!

I've been booed!!
wonderlandaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. Even though they are deluxes they are the 2 less expensive ones.
I agree. Great choices that will help you feel just a little bit away from it all, when you want to, well, get away from it all!

I'd also toss the Polynesian into the mix.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I love POR, it's our fav moderate. The grounds are beautiful, perfect for strolling around. They also have Horse and Carriage rides too. Doesn't more romantic then that And there's a boat to DTD too!

The Royal Rooms are in Oak Manor and Parterre Place. I would suggest making a request for the Oak Manor building, better location then Parterre Pl.

Love the mansion section, so pretty along the river.

Some people prefer French Quarter, it's smaller then POR, so a bit more intimate feeling.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: