Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Universal's BIG Announcement!

I saw on Universal's Facebook page a BIG announcement is coming on 11/1. It may finally be time to let Harry out of the bag. The expansion rumors have been around for a while and we may finally get the details.

When I was at UO a few weeks ago Amityville was gone and you could see the foundation of some structures going up behind the walls from afar. The chances of this being a Harry Potter expansion announcement is almost certain. What is unclear is if anything else will be added to the announcment like a new Transformers attraction. They may just announce Transformers and wait on the Potter expansion.

That's it from me.....Discuss.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP
I saw on Universal's Facebook page a BIG announcement is coming on 11/1. It may finally be time to let Harry out of the bag. The expansion rumors have been around for a while and we may finally get the details.

When I was at UO a few weeks ago Amityville was gone and you could see the foundation of some structures going up behind the walls from afar. The chances of this being a Harry Potter expansion announcement is almost certain. What is unclear is if anything else will be added to the announcment like a new Transformers attraction. They may just announce Transformers and wait on the Potter expansion.

That's it from me.....Discuss.
It's Transformers. There was a "Transformers countdown" that has since switched back to an unnamed countdown. Almost like someone in the media dept made a little slip up.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Yes, if you examined the web page source code yesterday the word Transformers was used in the file naming source...makes sense if you are coding the announcement for the Transformers, but not if you are trying to keep things under wraps on a countdown clock.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
ADP

Transformers would be a good addition. I hope they annuonce the Potter expansion and some details with it.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
dalt01
DIS Veteran

they are soooooo good with that kind of ride..........transformers will be a real winner.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Is it the same Transformers ride they already have in CA?
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)

That would be cool!!!!
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

yeah saw the different articles awhile back; cool addition

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2011/0...ays-spielberg/

http://micechat.com/8356-transformers-ride-orlando/
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
ADP

Tonight is the big night for Universal's major announcement. 7:30PM is the time.

I doubt whatever they announce will compare to what Disney pulled off this week. It's made this announcement seem like an already distant memory.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Tonight is the big night for Universal's major announcement. 7:30PM is the time.

I doubt whatever they announce will compare to what Disney pulled off this week. It's made this announcement seem like an already distant memory.
I was kinda surprised Disney didn't wait and make their big announcement today. First, it got a little buried in all the Sandy news/coverage and if they made it today like at noon, it would overshadowed Universal for sure.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
I don't think it will be anything really special unless they've kept something completely secret...which I doubt. I definitely think it's going to be HP2 and Transformers.

As far as the Disney announcement goes...I could really care less but if any new attractions come out of this purchase and it keeps tourists coming to Orlando, that's fine with me. Competition will definitely step up between Disney and Universal but I wonder if a day could be coming when Disney gets too big for it's own good. Time will tell I guess.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I didn't even know Universal was going to be making an announcement.. excited to hear though!

However, not sure how it will compete with the internet explosion about Disney and LucasFilms-- people are still going nuts!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I think that when Disney purchased Lucasfilm and ILM, it could be taken as a statement of Game on.

Because if Disney uses Star Wars Correctly in the theme parks, then they could be a behemoth that could stand toe to toe with Harry Potter expansion and Transformers.

In other words Star Wars themed Attractions and/or Star Wars theme parks not just merchandise.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
ADP

The last 5 years has seen an explosion of growth in the Orlando theme parks. It's been back and forth with announcements and grand openings. Kind of odd to say that since we've been in a recession. All of the parks are seeming to ignore recessionary trends. Hard to believe, but who am I to question it. Please theme parks - Keep spending - Keep investing - and please keep me coming back......
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

I could be very wrong, but I don't see any major changes to the Parks with this Lucas Films acquisition. I hear people talking 5th gate, new land, etc. I think this was a strictly financial decision and I think they feel they can make money off of it without building and maintaining theme park/attractions. Just my take.
GAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: