Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Koz
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans Riverside Bus Service

Some of you are starting to cause me to second-guess just how good the bus service is at POR. In the past, we've stayed at Pop (Great Service), CBR (Lousy) and WL (amazing boats/bus service).

I'm hearing more and more that buses to the parks have been terrible as of late. Not only arriving full but at long intervals, sometimes over 30 mins. We're a rope drop family, and for a 9AM rope drop we won't leave any later than say, 7:45-8AM to get there in time. With 3 kids under 7, I don't want to wait 30 minutes for anything, including a bus.

That being said, we landed a great deal for POR, $3,100 for 8 nights (River View/Royal) with a combo of 30% off and free dining. Starting to question whether we're better off heading back to WL (Courtyard/bunk), even though the cost will be another $1,400, simply because of the convenience attached to the boat ride and VERY frequent bus service.

What do you guys think? Leaving that early do you see us as having alot of problems? I hate walking away from a great deal!
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

You can expect the following:

1. During busy times, buses will be busy. During slow times, buses will be more efficient.
2. Bus wait time and bus service is often based solely on a perception, not based on reality.
3. It is best not to choose one resort over another, solely based on bus service.
4. Bus service can be good or bad at any resort.
5. At POR, many people don't utilize the slightly off-times and the bus loop to their advantage.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

I agree with the previous poster. Bus service can be a hit or miss at ANY of the resorts and it depends on the time you go. We had great bus service when we stayed at POR. Have fun!

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Add me to the chorus of voices saying (essentially) the bus service at POR is no worse than any other resort. Seriously. Your experience may be great. It may be poor. There's just no way of knowing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
blue65829
Mouseketeer

Having stayed at both POR and WL I think POR has better bus service. We waited at least 30 minutes on at least a couple of mornings at the WL for buses to Epcot and HS. Of course everyone has different experiences. I'm sure there are people who stayed at WL during the same time frame as us who had much better bus pixie dust!
October 2011 - AKL
September 2012 - finally going to Universal - having mouse withdrawls
August 2013 - WL CL & I get to be at MK on my B-day!
blue65829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
jamimb
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all the values and all the moderates and the one time we stayed at POR the bus service was terrible! Worst we have ever experienced at any resort. We were almost late for a BBB reservation even though we were at the bus stop over an hr before or ressie time. We were running down Main street to make it on time. On our last day we waited almost 40 minutes for a bus to Epcot and finally just hopped in our car so we wouldnt miss rope drop. That being said we thought POR was a fabulous resort and we are styaing there again this July but if bus service is more important to you than money saved by staying at POR I would definetly change resorts. It can't be a coincidence that so many people complain about the bus service at POR!!!
jamimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Koz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue65829 View Post
Having stayed at both POR and WL I think POR has better bus service. We waited at least 30 minutes on at least a couple of mornings at the WL for buses to Epcot and HS. Of course everyone has different experiences. I'm sure there are people who stayed at WL during the same time frame as us who had much better bus pixie dust!
Ok, and I'm the opposite, where it seems as though every bus was waiting for us @ WL.

Given the fact that we're an "early" family, the buses certainly aren't that crowded, (we NEVER go to EMH), I'm thinking that if we keep our 60-75 minute schedule prior to RD, even if there's a bit of a wait, it's not going to be terrible. I haven't heard anything bad specific to returning from the parks, outside of the obvious like following fireworks etc.

Last edited by Koz; 10-23-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
jsw1114
Mouseketeer

We just came back from POR in sept and I thought the buses were really good the longest we waited was maybe 20 min they did get packed at times but one night the line from MK was so long we jumped on the French quarter bus and walked over to POR
jsw1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Any resort can have that wait when you are going to one park, and you see 5 busses to another park stop. I've had that on occas at every resort, mod. or deluxe. I'd say 90% of the time, the busses are great, but you can run into glitches at any resort and I wouldn't say one is any better then another. Sometimes you just have bad luck, and that's what you hear about. When people are unhappy they complain, but you don't hear about the 90% of the rest, who had great service.
POR is a great resort so I wouldn't worry. And you can take a lot of cabs for that $1400
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
nigel-bigel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
5. At POR, many people don't utilize the slightly off-times and the bus loop to their advantage.
Would you please elaborate on this?

Nicole
Nov 01 Yacht Club
Feb 02 Boardwalk Inn
Oct 02 Dolphin
Apr 04 Disneyland
Oct 04 PO - French Quarter
Nov 06 Coronado Springs
Jan 11 Boardwalk Villas
Jan 13 PO - Riverside
nigel-bigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
ReluctantDisaholic
Mouseketeer

When we were there this past March we didn't find the bus at POR any worse than anywhere else we took a bus - considering how busy it was, we never had much of a wait to any park in the morning. A couple of later nights leaving MK or Epcot there were really (realllllly) long waits heading back to the resort, but it seemed to be other lines as well and not just the POR one.

We loved it so much we're staying there again on our next trip.
March 2013 - POR
March 2014 - POR/POFQ
August 2015 - Beach Club??

ReluctantDisaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Prose
DIS Veteran

We have been here at POR all week and have absolutely no complaints with the buses (well, except that they tend to be the temperature of a meat locker). In fact, the longest wait we have had for a bus so far was at AKL after dinner.

Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

People say that Pop has got some of the best bus service. Why? Because there is one bus stop for each park..period. And when you get on that bus, you go directly to the park..no stopping at other resorts. Yes, there may be more people at that particular bus stop due to the size of the resort, but buses tend to come fairly frequently.
Head over to BW and you'll wait for a bus to a park, and then make at least two addtl stops, possibly four addt stops, before heading to that park.
At POR, you have four stops within the resort...so even though you don't go to other resorts (other than possibly POFQ, which has only the one stop), you will make addtl stops within the resort. And depending on which stop you are at, you may make one addtl stop or three.
I have stayed at POR multiple times....I have never had a bus issue, not once. I have stayed at WL, and the same can be said.

Every resort is going to have a bus issue....it can happen at any time, anywhere. Do not choose a resort based on bus reports you see here. Everyone has a different idea of what 'excessive wait' time is. Choose a resort based on it's theming, or proximity to a park, or it's pool. But do NOT choose it based on it's buses.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel-bigel View Post
Would you please elaborate on this?

Nicole
Most of the people in the morning go to the food court first and then head out to the South Depot at the main building. There are three other stops.

In addition, you can adjust your time by 15 minutes later and the bulk of the crowd has left and you are in the half the crowd you could be earlier.

Also, utilizing the perimeter stops on the way back is a wonderful way of easing the burden, especially when they do the loop where the south depot is last.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
jsw1114
Mouseketeer

Oh another piece of advice go to the food court early like 7:15 ish. Anything later is pure chaos in there. We would go get coffee go back to the room and then walk to the west depot
jsw1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: