Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
emer95
DIS Veteran

Another "which resort" question.... just really want your opinions please!

Hi everyone,
We are going to Disney August 22-27th. We are booked right now in a LM room at AoA without a discount. Just for the heck of it I asked out TA to price out Port Orleans. With the AAA discount, it would only be $300 more to stay there.

What would you do?

Here's some details about us. We have two daughters, who will be 13 and 14 when we go. On our previous trips we have stayed off-site, at Pop twice, and at Coronado Springs.

I'd love some expert opinions. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
partypa
Mouseketeer

AoA is cute as can be but I think your Girls would much prefer Port Orleans and so would you. I would pick Riverside over French Quarter, if there is a choice. The Moderates are a very nice step up from the Value Resorts, nothing wrong with the Value Resorts but the Amenities are just so lovely at the Moderates. We Love Riverside, have stayed many, many times. All the Pools, the Hot Tub, the Boat to Downtown Disney, the beautiful grounds and the best Food Court, Yum
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

I've stayed value twice, and mod once so far. We stayed at PoFQ. I highly recommend going moderate over value. I loved the garden like atmosphere and walking along the water.....it's very tranquil in comparison to the values. IMO.

HappyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

With two teens, I would think that the larger bed at the mod resort would be better. I remember trying to share with my sister on vacation, and there were some rough nights when it was a double instead of a queen at the hotel. Plus, the rooms in the mod resorts are slightly larger than the value rooms, and when you're all in there together, every bit of space counts.

However, it also depends on the level of "in your face" theming you want. AoA is very bright and vivid Disney themeing. POFQ and POR are more subtle themes. In your mind, compare Pop to CSR, since you've stayed at those two resorts. Comparing PO to AoA LM rooms would be a similar comparison.

If it were me, I would go with the mod, if paying the extra doesn't put any extra strain on your budget.
fla4fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
married2mm
DIS Veteran

AoA looks great-por is lovely- we stayed there in august.

i think making your final decision depends on a couple of key factors-

how long you will spend at the resort?
do you want full disney theming-all the time?
would you use ts restaurant at por?

personally, i feel a hotel room is simply a place to sleep.
we have stayed at values and mods and not really preferred one over the other.

we do prefer villas though-with extra bathroms, bedrooms, kitchen and general living space
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

POR is our fav moderate resort. The theming is just beautiful, and it has more to offer with a boat to DTD, evening entertainment, marina, fishing hole, beautiful landscaping, and Queen beds. Larger rooms.

To us a room isn't just a place to shower and sleep, we aren't commando parks opening till closing. We like to take a mid day break back at our resort, or spend an evening enjoying our resort amenities. So resort choice is important to us.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Personally I like the moderates over the values so I would choose POR.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

POR is one of my favorite resorts!I would choose POR. AoA looks better suited to those under the age of 9, imho.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
DisneyWishes14
Mouseketeer

I would pick POR over AoA. You may also want to look into Magical Vacations Travel. They always hold an agency exclusive discount that week and it looks like you could book BC or YC through them for around the same price as the AAA discount at POR. We stayed at YC with their discount in August last year and it was fantastic!
DisneyWishes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

For just $300 more, I would go with the moderate resort. Port Orleans looks beautiful, serene, and seems like it has a lot of Disney vibe in its own way. I like the option of the boat to Downtown Disney too. I think it would appeal more to most teens than AOA, although I'm sure a lot of teens like the big, colorful theming as much as younger kids
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

I have to agree with PPs. I would go with PO. The food court is amazing, the theming is phenomenal, and, if you notice my screen name, in general I am for all things with a Cajun tone!
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
rudetreehill
Mouseketeer

Throwing my support behind Port Orleans Riverside. It's my favorite moderate resort. Gorgeous grounds, fantastic pool, good pool bar. I've stayed there many times. My fave resort is Wilderness Lodge, but when I can't afford that, I'm usually at POR or the cabins at Fort Wilderness

Tralfie/Richard
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

I would chose the moderate over a value. We recently came back from a trip where we stayed at Pop then Saratoga Springs and then AoA. AoA is definitely in your face with the Disney theming which is great for younger kids, but I think maybe a bit much for your daughters. As others have said, a moderate has more room and nicer amenities. I actually liked staying at the POP but I wouldn't stay at AoA again. Of the moderates, I really enjoyed Port Orleans French quarter. I liked walking around the resort when we were taking a break from the parks.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: