Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #31
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I am very happy that DCL has extended this offer to military spouses. They also make both considerable sacrifices and contributions to the military way of life! Thanks to DCL for acknowledging this.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
anc876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys
Does anyone know for sure what documentation is required at check-in for a reservist? The policy I read said military ID and active duty orders from the previous year. Does this mean a reservist needed to be deployed to qualify for the discount? Or, proof that the reservist is still active?

The military rates are really tempting...but the last thing I would want is to not have the correct documentation at check in.
My husband is National Guard but AGR (on active duty orders). All he had to show was his CAC card. Since the policy states that orders must be presented, I'd bring them with you just in case.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott
Now let's hope they change the policy back to not penalizing for changing a regular reservation rate to military rate, after the 75 day mark, like they do for Florida residents. Military should get the same benifit
First, thanks to everyone who has served, no matter for how long!

I will (second, third, fourth...) this. We just changed over to military rate for our Dec 9 cruise on 3 cabins but lost about $1000 in deposits. Meanwhile, my Fla resident inlaws simply had the new rate applied to their reservation without having to cancel and rebook and didn't lose anything in cancellation fees. Still between our 4 cabins we have about $2500 in savings and we're all in balconies, whereas we had all Oceanviews. So not a big complaint, but a complaint nonetheless.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #34
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz
I am very happy that DCL has extended this offer to military spouses. They also make both considerable sacrifices and contributions to the military way of life! Thanks to DCL for acknowledging this.
Amen!!!

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #35
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
100% agree. I don't understand why they don't also extend it to those who were honorably discharged and hold a DD214 (ala CCL, NCL, RCCL etc.). Even if it wasn't the same discount as active military receives, anything would be appreciated.
I agree my dad called a few years ago to see if his honorable discharge would allow him to stay at Shades of Green and they told him no he would have had to retire from the military. I guess they have to make a cut off somewhere.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
I agree my dad called a few years ago to see if his honorable discharge would allow him to stay at Shades of Green and they told him no he would have had to retire from the military. I guess they have to make a cut off somewhere.
I believe Shades of Green is for people in the military. If you resign or are discharged, you are no longer in the military. If you retire, you are still in the military (just a different duty status).

Private companies (such as DCL) can have whatever policies they want. Shades of Green is operated by the government (DOD) and by law can provide their facility to members of the uniformed services and certain other categories specified by law (for example discharged veterans with 100 percent disability).

I think the law should be changed, because this country does not begin to thank those who served. Maybe Congress will consider changing the law someday.

Last edited by over50visits; 10-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #37
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
My father served his country, faught in Vietnam, and was honorably discharged, yet is not eligible for Disney discounts.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #38
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmom View Post
My father served his country, faught in Vietnam, and was honorably discharged, yet is not eligible for Disney discounts.
Yes, unfortunately that is right. Your father served his country when asked to, however he served only for a year, two maybe four. While, some may have join with the intentions of doing their time and walking away but staying in for 20. Your father served for a short time while someone who is retired served for 20. There is also honorable discharge, general discharge, dishonorable discharge and medically retirement all which affect your life afterwards. Someone with a dishonorable discharge is what I call "non citizen" citizen. They lose alot of their rights, usually because they have been convicted of a crime. General discharge, future employers now look at you wondering what you did. Honorable discharge, is a good thing and not to be taken lightly. We know people who have had to fight for their general discharge to change into a honorable if they behaved for some many years. We have known people who have committed suicide over the dishonorable.

The discount that Disney offers is a privilege and something that we have taken advantage of, however we don't expect it nor assume we rate it because DH is in the military.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #39
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
Yes, unfortunately that is right. Your father served his country when asked to, however he served only for a year, two maybe four. While, some may have join with the intentions of doing their time and walking away but staying in for 20. Your father served for a short time while someone who is retired served for 20. There is also honorable discharge, general discharge, dishonorable discharge and medically retirement all which affect your life afterwards. Someone with a dishonorable discharge is what I call "non citizen" citizen. They lose alot of their rights, usually because they have been convicted of a crime. General discharge, future employers now look at you wondering what you did. Honorable discharge, is a good thing and not to be taken lightly. We know people who have had to fight for their general discharge to change into a honorable if they behaved for some many years. We have known people who have committed suicide over the dishonorable.

The discount that Disney offers is a privilege and something that we have taken advantage of, however we don't expect it nor assume we rate it because DH is in the military.
I just want to note that no one asked him to serve, he volunteered. Though he probably would have been drafted had he not.

I do understand... my grandfather and great grandfather retired from the navy. I just know that what my dad did was honorable and he gets little to no recognition.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #40
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmom

I just want to note that no one asked him to serve, he volunteered. Though he probably would have been drafted had he not.

I do understand... my grandfather and great grandfather retired from the navy. I just know that what my dad did was honorable and he gets little to no recognition.
I served for 4 years and was honorably discharged last year. I know things are different then when your dad served but I don't get much. I did get 6 months worth of Tri-care and a few years base privilege. The GI Bill is the only real benifit to me now. My DH is still active duty and that is how we still get discounts. And while discounts are nice that is not why we joined or why he is staying in. Many people honor veterans but it is not always in the form of dollars off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: