Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I completely agree with this as well.

I would like to see Disney open their rates up to disabled veterans as well. It is a shame that many people have suffered injuries as a result of their military service (and thus are no longer in the military), but are not offered the same priviledges as those currently serving.
It should include medically retired personnel as well. I really don't know how they determine who is medically retired and who is medically separated though.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
It should include medically retired personnel as well. I really don't know how they determine who is medically retired and who is medically separated though.
Medically retired would have a retirement ID card and be treated like a regular retiree (per my understanding.) The DD214 would have any other info on it.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Medically retired would have a retirement ID card and be treated like a regular retiree (per my understanding.) The DD214 would have any other info on it.

Jill in CO
Sorry, what I meant was I don't know how the military determines to medically retire someone or just medically separate them. I just have a regular honorable discharge. I don't think I even know anyone who was medically separated. I do have a friend who gets disability, but she was not discharged for her disability. (It's not combat related either)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Sorry, what I meant was I don't know how the military determines to medically retire someone or just medically separate them. I just have a regular honorable discharge. I don't think I even know anyone who was medically separated. I do have a friend who gets disability, but she was not discharged for her disability. (It's not combat related either)
Gotcha.

Here is a good article.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor...separation.htm

I am honorably discharged but have a disability rating due to my military service. Process is the same no matter how the disability occurred.

Jill in CO
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

Don't some 100% Vets have an ID card that effectively says retired?

That was my understanding of things. So if true, wouldn't they be eligible?

I have a friend 100% but he hasn't gotten his card yet. No reason for him to have it here so he hasn't made the drive yet...
Betsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy82 View Post

I have a friend 100% but he hasn't gotten his card yet. No reason for him to have it here so he hasn't made the drive yet...
Yes, this is what JediJill and I were talking about. According to the link she posted most service members who are 30% or more disabled should be considered retired. So yes, 100% should be. I don't know where you are or how far it is for him but showing a military ID card can give many discounts. We get discounts all over the place. Just yesterday DH got 15% off at a kitchen supply store!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My friends father is 100% disabled and he did qualify for the discounts. I do think you have to be 100% disable for this to be true.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
stacieps
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just remember that military retirement and VA disability are not the same thing - I can't tell from your post whether the vet is 100% with VA or military. You get military retirement with a 30% disability, but the criteria is different than your ratings from the VA (military puts you on medical leave for very specific conditions and only those are rated, where the VA rates all of your conditions that arose during your time of service).

My DH was wounded in Iraq. Initially put on Temporary Disabled Retirement from Army at 30% (so he was given a "retirement" ID but it had an expiration date, it was treated as any other military retired ID - we were able to use this for discounts on DCL and at WDW). After 5 years (the longest you can be on temporary) he was awarded Permanent Disabled Retirement at 60%. The Army issued him a "retired" ID (now with no expiration date) - is the same as any other retirement ID, you don't know it was because of a medical discharge. A VA disabled ID is not the same as a military retirement ID.

His rating from the VA is 80% but also unemployable so he receives 100%. This has not changed since his initial discharge when the Army only rated him at 30% - so the ratings can be quite different VA vs. Military
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
MISSREBECCA76
"Hello, My Name is Rebecca, and I have a Disney Problem!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott View Post
Now let's hope they change the policy back to not penalizing for changing a regular reservation rate to military rate, after the 75 day mark, like they do for Florida residents. Military should get the same benifit
AMEN!!!! I wish they could just transfer your reservation to the new rate. I would even be willing to take the difference not in a cash refund but a stateroom credit.

As it stands you have to cancel your trip, pay the cancellation fees, loose all your reservations/bookings etc. and if you are like me wait the three days for the money to be refunded so you can afford to rebook, and all you can do is hope they still have the rate available. It stinks!!!!

1999 SOG First ever WDW Trip (with my HOT college bf, who is now my HOT husband!)2001 SOG Honeymoon trip 2009 CRB First trip with the kiddos in tow, grandparents too! 2011 OKW Santa was good to us, so kids, grandparents and even a great grandparent made the trip! 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins 2012 Disney Dream- our first of many DCL experiences!2012 Beach Club
MISSREBECCA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
chateau
DIS Veteran

That is EXCELLENT news for our military families.... GREAT job DCL!!!! GREAT job!! X a billion
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjewett View Post
This is great! My husband is returning from Afghanistan this week and we are taking the kids on the fantasy to celebrate next month. Next time he deploys I may consider just taking the kids!
Don't forget to book on board!! Good for you guys!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
akheila
Earning My Ears

I wish they would include canadians....or at least Canadians serving with the US forces. Shades of Green does, but that is the only perk that is offered from Disney, for us little Canadians.
akheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know for sure what documentation is required at check-in for a reservist? The policy I read said military ID and active duty orders from the previous year. Does this mean a reservist needed to be deployed to qualify for the discount? Or, proof that the reservist is still active?

The military rates are really tempting...but the last thing I would want is to not have the correct documentation at check in.
Saratoga Springs Resort July 2006
Saratoga Springs Resort February 2007
Boardwalk Villas September 2007
Old Key West Resort September 2009
Hilton Head Island Resort June 2010
Saratoga Springs Resort September 2010

Beach Club Villas July 2011
Disney Dream November 2011
Disney Swan April 2012
Art of Animation January 2014
Vero Beach Resort July 2014
1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #29
tracyz
Mouseketeer

This is such great news! Thank you DCL!!! I was very vocal about this last time my husband was deployed...I really wanted to take our daughters on a cruise as a little diversion, but without the military rate it wasn't an option. I was really disappointed and thought it wasn't right...that was a key time when the military discount should be applied, in my never-to-be-humble opinion! So glad to hear they've come around!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

I am so happy. My husband is retired Navy but never wants to cruise and I could never get the military rate because he had to be with us, so now I can take advantage of these offers.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: