Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Military rate policy change.....

Just got a post stating that the DCL policy re military rates have changed. The rates are now available to military OR spouse, so that if military member is deployed, spouse can cruise! In the past, the military person HAD to be on the ship. No longer. Up to 3 staterooms can be booked, qualifying military person OR spouse must be on the cruise.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Just got a post stating that the DCL policy re military rates have changed. The rates are now available to military OR spouse, so that if military member is deployed, spouse can cruise! In the past, the military person HAD to be on the ship. No longer. Up to 3 staterooms can be booked, qualifying military person OR spouse must be on the cruise.
YES!!!!

The chances of me cruising without DH are small, but they are there. Thank you for sharing this happy news!
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
sinnika
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
What if they are retired? DH is retired military but has a private practice so can't cruise as readily as I can!
sinnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I'm not military, but am grateful to all of those who served(have served). I am happy to see that Disney realizes that families still need vacations even if a loved one is deployed.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
I'm not military, but am grateful to all of those who served(have served). I am happy to see that Disney realizes that families still need vacations even if a loved one is deployed.
I 2nd that!
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
I agree!

To all the military personnel & their families, I thank you for your service.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I completely agree with this as well.

I would like to see Disney open their rates up to disabled veterans as well. It is a shame that many people have suffered injuries as a result of their military service (and thus are no longer in the military), but are not offered the same priviledges as those currently serving.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnika View Post
What if they are retired? DH is retired military but has a private practice so can't cruise as readily as I can!
From DisneyCruise.com:
Quote:
Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse), including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of 3 staterooms per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. Military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members (or spouse) of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sp...ilitary-rates/
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
bkjewett
Earning My Ears

This is great! My husband is returning from Afghanistan this week and we are taking the kids on the fantasy to celebrate next month. Next time he deploys I may consider just taking the kids!
bkjewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post

I would like to see Disney open their rates up to disabled veterans as well. It is a shame that many people have suffered injuries as a result of their military service (and thus are no longer in the military), but are not offered the same priviledges as those currently serving.
100% agree. I don't understand why they don't also extend it to those who were honorably discharged and hold a DD214 (ala CCL, NCL, RCCL etc.). Even if it wasn't the same discount as active military receives, anything would be appreciated.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to see that they have extended military pricing to spouses too! Seriously people, the families are as much in the service as their deployed spouses. True the military member is putting his life in danger but these famlies spend long periods of time separated and raising their families comletely by themselves and deal with the stress of having a loved one deployed. Life is far from a bowl of cherries for them and they deserve a get away when they can. Kudos to DCL.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Now let's hope they change the policy back to not penalizing for changing a regular reservation rate to military rate, after the 75 day mark, like they do for Florida residents. Military should get the same benifit
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing kcashner!!

You know, I didn't realize this had changed, for the better until just recently!

I had vaguely heard of the military rates but never really thought about until I saw the great rates and wanted to take my Mom. I'm a military brat myself but of course I don't qualify. My step father is retired military (as is my Dad) and I assumed he would have to travel with my my mom and I since he was the retired military member but then I read on the disney site it clearly said *or spouses*. My mom has a military ID card so I called and confirmed I could book it, pay for it and get the awesome military rate and treat my Mom to a great time!! I booked us about 9 days ago for the 12/8 Fantasy sailing and we are so excited - we haven't done a trip with just the two of us in over 20 years!

I now understand why the CM's and Costco said they recently changed some things. I was told we didn't need to fax in her Id card and that was required in the past. I made it very clear my step dad would not be traveling with us and its no problem. She just needs to show her ID card when we check in.

I hope others are able to take advantage of this great opportunity!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post

Jill in CO
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
I'm glad to see that they have extended military pricing to spouses too! Seriously people, the families are as much in the service as their deployed spouses. True the military member is putting his life in danger but these famlies spend long periods of time separated and raising their families comletely by themselves and deal with the stress of having a loved one deployed. Life is far from a bowl of cherries for them and they deserve a get away when they can. Kudos to DCL.

Or HER life.

Lots of women proudly serving or have served as well.

Jill in CO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: