Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3travellers
Your math is correct. Wow! Does it ever get expensive once those kiddos become Disney adults! We are only 2 adults and 1 child, so it makes a huge difference. I am saving $200 at WL by purchasing DP and using pin for 35% discount. We may even just upgrade to club and forget the DP. Still $200 cheaper with the upgrade.
Jealous! No, just kidding ( and enjoy it while it lasts!!).
Old 10-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog
Okay, I know I should just be happy that I got a FD pin, however, I am driving myself crazy trying to make it work how I want to.

I currently have 7 nights at POFQ with Free dining
2 nights at at AKL with just RO discount.

However I'd really, really like to be able to spend more days at AKL, but I can't really give up more than 2 days of free dining (if I could find a way to have dining for the full 9 days I'd REALLY be happy)

I've been playing with the website all day....If I switch it around and do 2 nights at POFQ without the dining AND then have 7 nights at AKL with Free Dining....it will add about $600 to my current vacation cost. Is it worth it in your opinion?? Having never stayed at a Mod OR a Deluxe, I really don't know what I'll be missing so I need advice. And if I do this and book the 7-night part 2nd (2 nights at FQ first), can I use my park tickets from my 2nd stay during those first 2 nights? In other words, can I use the park tickets before checking into the AKL which I'm booking as my package?!

And BTW, if free dining gets announced for the general public....will that help me in the way that I can have it at both resorts regardless of # of nights booked? Or will that have absolutely no affect on me at all?
I have not stayed at AKL (and in all honesty have no desire to...not my taste...I have visited it, so I have been there). My only caution would be that if you are relying soley on disney transportation, I hear a tremendous amount of complaints about the wait times. I have many friends who LOVE this resort BUT they will only stay they with a rental car because they say the bus service is THAT bad. We also were not impressed with the length of time we had to wait when we have used buses to get to & from AKL to dine. I really don't find anything there worth the time we wasted getting to/from. But to each his/her own. Just thought I'd give you some food for thought because there are alot of complaints about bus service to this hotel. Good luck with your decision!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
So it sounds like staying 2 days at the moderate and 7 nights at AKL will be doable ticketwise. But now I need to know if it's worth it to spend $600 or so to spend 7 nights at AKL instead of 2.

Opinions welcome & much needed!
I'm a young professional, so for me every penny counts, and we don't blow money.

That being said, it is ABSOLUTELY WORTH the extra $600 to do the 7 nights at AKL. It's a gorgeous resort, there is SO much to do and see there... the pool is one of the best on property- I'd say probably only second to Stormalong bay.

To be honest, yes, the bus transportation can be a bit slower than other resorts, but not by much

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie

I'm a young professional, so for me every penny counts, and we don't blow money.

That being said, it is ABSOLUTELY WORTH the extra $600 to do the 7 nights at AKL. It's a gorgeous resort, there is SO much to do and see there... the pool is one of the best on property- I'd say probably only second to Stormalong bay.

To be honest, yes, the bus transportation can be a bit slower than other resorts, but not by much
Just curious but what makes the pool do great? To be honest, from the photos, I was thinking the French Quarter pool looked much more fun with the serpent slides. I can't see or get much of a description on the AKL pool. Plus it'll be February, so I don't want to look "too" forward to it if it will be cold anyway.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

My two oldest were the same age as yours last year when we went to AKL. They loved it. Actually we all did. I think it is worth the extra $600. Also, you might look at the pool view rooms. They are only a little bit more (maybe $15 a night?) and not only is the view stunning, the location is prime (close to lobby, mara, etc).

There are lots of great places around the resort to view the animals - both inside and out. I loved leaving in the morning and grabbing coffee and then finding a quiet place to sit. I am usually the first one up so it was nice to have a place to go.

The pool is huge. It is zero entry which is neat and there is tons of seating around it. There are a couple of nice hot tubs too which could be good in February. They roast marshmallows every night near the pool deck (I think they do this at all deluxes maybe?) and every night they show a movie near the pool as well on a giant screen. One night after we returned from the parks, we grabbed dinner from the mara (and a couple drinks from the bar for dh and I) and the kids sat on the ground and ate and watched a movie while dh and I hung out closer to the pool and just relaxed. It was great.

The only day we had any issue with transportation was coming back from DTD. That was insanity and took over an hour. Outside of that, no issues with buses.

Have a blast!

]
Disney trips:6/2003: All Star Movies;11/2005: Offsite - Vacation Home;10/2009: Offsite - Vacation Home;11/2010: Port Orleans Riverside;11/2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge;10/2012 - Beach Club; 10/2013 - Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas; 2/2014 - Fort Wilderness/Disney Cruise/Contemporary; 4/2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: