Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #46
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney

I think people would not begrudge one special needs kid FOTL, but in Disney there could be hundreds of people with varied disabilities on any given day, if not thousands. Even healthy children do not like waiting on lines and can get ancy, and it makes their waits even longer. I think a pass to return (based on the estimated wait time) for attractions and characters would appease everyone, but they don't seem to use that option very often.
I can see your point. I just don't think seeing someone who is less fortunate then me and my family would ever make me feel angry at them, just blessed.

The last time we were at WDW in Nov 2011 we were at DHS and we were just about to go around the corner and see Woody and Buzz, the CM came around and said we would have to wait 15 minutes because a Make A Wish child was coming in. We waited patiently while a few behind us complained. When we were led in next, this beautiful 4-5 yo girl was smiling walking out with her dad. Her mom had tears in her eyes and whispered apologies to us for waiting. My DH and I told her no problem!! I got tears in my eyes at the wonderful opportunity that child was having, and just the sadness of wondering why she was a make a wish kid, and that scary thought of "what if it were one of my girls". I still can't believe people were complaining. DH had a hard time keeping his mouth shut.
KimBeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #47
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBeano View Post
I can see your point. I just don't think seeing someone who is less fortunate then me and my family would ever make me feel angry at them, just blessed.

The last time we were at WDW in Nov 2011 we were at DHS and we were just about to go around the corner and see Woody and Buzz, the CM came around and said we would have to wait 15 minutes because a Make A Wish child was coming in. We waited patiently while a few behind us complained. When we were led in next, this beautiful 4-5 yo girl was smiling walking out with her dad. Her mom had tears in her eyes and whispered apologies to us for waiting. My DH and I told her no problem!! I got tears in my eyes at the wonderful opportunity that child was having, and just the sadness of wondering why she was a make a wish kid, and that scary thought of "what if it were one of my girls". I still can't believe people were complaining. DH had a hard time keeping his mouth shut.
ITA, I would not be upset at all in that case. That was one family though and your wait was only 15 minutes longer. The number of Wish kids in the park on a given day compared to the number of folks with GACs is very, very small.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #48
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney

ITA, I would not be upset at all in that case. That was one family though and your wait was only 15 minutes longer. The number of Wish kids in the park on a given day compared to the number of folks with GACs is very, very small.
I agree.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #49
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

In my case my DD does not look like she would need special accommodations. We have went a very long time without getting the GAC card. We just always thought their are children who need it more then my DD. Now that my dad's condition is getting worse I have been getting the card. It really makes a huge difference. Makes the days more enjoyable for her and inturn the rest of our family because we were missing out on so much. I also have a 10 year old DD. Like I said she doesn't appear to have any problems. But put her in a situation where she is not comfortable ....someone touching her someone too close to her....to many people around her you would know she needs it. That being said there have been times we were looked at by others and even a few cast members while using the card like we don't have the right to use it. Its sad that people abuse this system. We have been going to Disney for over 7 years now. This is the first year we have used it and we are finally doing things we weren't able to do without it.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #50
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

My son looks typical. There is no way just looking at him that someone can tell he has special needs. He would meet the criteria for a MAW trip, as I'm sure others with a GAC could too. But with a GAC there is just no way of telling who has what kind of condtition, because it's for hidden disabilitites.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #51
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBeano View Post
I'm confused though because how would anyone know if someone is scamming?? The GAC is already specifically for "unseen" issues, right? So how can anyone be judging whether people need it or not if these are for disabilities you can't visually see.

I'm not saying scamming doesn't happen, I'm just saying how would anyone know to be angry about it, unless someone is in line bragging about how they misused the system.

I find it hard to think that very many would pretend there is something wrong with their kid when their isn't. But, i am typically niave. Lol! I don't have a need for this though, and was researching for a friend. Her son has sensory processing disorder and ADHD.
The general public doesn't understand the GAC and just sees Little Betty Lou and her family seemingly skipping the lines by flashing a little card.

The there are those who know the GAC exists and fake a need, knowing the CM cannot ask for documentation. I personally know someone who claims she cannot climb stairs so she can get a GAC at Disneyland (which is less mainstreamed than WDW). She even looks up a medical condition so she can sound genuine.

Other posters have reported people renting wheelchairs at WDW thinking that will get them front of the line access and then grumbling about it when it doesn't.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #52
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl

The general public doesn't understand the GAC and just sees Little Betty Lou and her family seemingly skipping the lines by flashing a little card.

The there are those who know the GAC exists and fake a need, knowing the CM cannot ask for documentation. I personally know someone who claims she cannot climb stairs so she can get a GAC at Disneyland (which is less mainstreamed than WDW). She even looks up a medical condition so she can sound genuine.

Other posters have reported people renting wheelchairs at WDW thinking that will get them front of the line access and then grumbling about it when it doesn't.
People in general are so disappointing aren't they? :-\
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #53
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
This is what I always point out when someone starts ranting about "rampant wheelchair abuse." Anyone who fakes needing an assistive device at WDW in order to get some kind of "perk" is going to quickly find out that the benefit to someone who doesn't really need it is so small that it isn't worth the effort, so why worry about it?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #54
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl

I love it when that happens! Not that they are attempting to abuse the system, but that they find out it doesn't work. Oh how wonderful it would be to stroll around the parks and not worry about the wheelchair or mobility issues. I know we could do so much more in the same hours.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #55
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I actually saw a family at TSMM with a wheelchair trying to go up through the exit ramp. A CM stopped them and indicated the mainstreamed line. The family were insisting that the wheelchair should at least go through the FP line. The CM had to be super persistant but diplomatic and they left without riding. I could hear them talking low as they passed me saying that it wasn't worth renting the wheelchair if they couldn't use the exit lines!
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #56
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

A few years ago on the 4th of July we were early to get a great spot to see the parade and fireworks at night. Along came a family of about 6-7 people. One lady was in a wheel chair she looked fine....but as I know you don't have to look different to be disabled. Anyway we were more than happy to move ourselves to let the wheelchair fit in. Stupid us.....LOL about 30 minutes went by still waiting she turned to a boy that was with her and said would you like to sit and rest for a little. Lady got up fine and the young kid sat down. There was a girl a little younger then him( must have been siblings) she started yelling " you said it was my turn. The lady said to her " I told you we can all take turns"
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #57
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421
A few years ago on the 4th of July we were early to get a great spot to see the parade and fireworks at night. Along came a family of about 6-7 people. One lady was in a wheel chair she looked fine....but as I know you don't have to look different to be disabled. Anyway we were more than happy to move ourselves to let the wheelchair fit in. Stupid us.....LOL about 30 minutes went by still waiting she turned to a boy that was with her and said would you like to sit and rest for a little. Lady got up fine and the young kid sat down. There was a girl a little younger then him( must have been siblings) she started yelling " you said it was my turn. The lady said to her " I told you we can all take turns"
Lol!!! So ridiculous.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #58
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
Actually, I can see this legitimately happening. Mom has MS or something that impairs her stamina and ability to walk around the parks all day. She looks perfectly healthy, but WDW's response to such issues is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Mom doesn't really need to be seated in the wheelchair at all times, she prefers to stretch her legs now and then, and has promised the kids they can take turns sitting/riding when she's not using it. It's something that is often recommended here.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #59
mamatohaleybug
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Actually, I can see this legitimately happening. Mom has MS or something that impairs her stamina and ability to walk around the parks all day. She looks perfectly healthy, but WDW's response to such issues is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Mom doesn't really need to be seated in the wheelchair at all times, she prefers to stretch her legs now and then, and has promised the kids they can take turns sitting/riding when she's not using it. It's something that is often recommended here.
Exactly. I had a serious spinal injury six years ago and while I have recovered amazingly well, after walking a long distance I lose all feeling in my feet and get clumsier and clumsier and in a great deal of pain. One year at WDW I did use a wheelchair for a few days. I can walk just fine, climb stairs, etc but doing those things all day aggravated back and legs and made it impossible for me to enjoy my trip.

I could get up and walk just fine if I had been in the chair all day. Without that chair I would not have been able to visit the parks. I NEVER use a wheelchair anywhere else. Doesn't mean I'm a faker at WDW.

Bottom line: We don't know what's going on with people. Yes, people try to fake disabilities but all three members of my family have disabilities, yet we look "normal". You cannot tell just by looking. Assume the best about people is what I try to do.
mamatohaleybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #60
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatohaleybug

Exactly. I had a serious spinal injury six years ago and while I have recovered amazingly well, after walking a long distance I lose all feeling in my feet and get clumsier and clumsier and in a great deal of pain. One year at WDW I did use a wheelchair for a few days. I can walk just fine, climb stairs, etc but doing those things all day aggravated back and legs and made it impossible for me to enjoy my trip.

I could get up and walk just fine if I had been in the chair all day. Without that chair I would not have been able to visit the parks. I NEVER use a wheelchair anywhere else. Doesn't mean I'm a faker at WDW.

Bottom line: We don't know what's going on with people. Yes, people try to fake disabilities but all three members of my family have disabilities, yet we look "normal". You cannot tell just by looking. Assume the best about people is what I try to do.
I am sure people do this because of a disability but this was obvious that wasn't the case here. I didn't mention but after she knew her daughter was so loud she looked at me and said we do this every year. Its our lawn chair on wheels.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: