Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran
 
anonymousegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SF Bay Area & Bay Lake Tower
Posts: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
Let me say for all of what your family goes though I don't know why people care that you get to the front of the line. I or any one in my very large family would not think twice about letting in front of us. My niece has problems and for that my sister (a single mother) goes though it the least that Disney can do is to let her or any family like hers to the front. Don't listen to these rude people. Enjoy the pass and use it. That's what it's there for.
I agree that family with special needs deal with a lot of issues daily (my sister has three sp.needs kids). And I'm sure Disney would like to be as accommodating as they can be. The issue is the people who scam the system. These people can be blatant in their attempts to skip lines and gain advantages over all the other Disney guests.

These scammers are who make Disney guests so angry. And when countless people are doing it you can imagine that it adds significantly to your wait time.
__________________
___________________________
Me and DH and "RIP Deep Thought" "RIP 42" Neko
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,906

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
I didn't realize you could use the gac for character lines.
Character Connection at Epcot was the only one we were able to use it at, but with the remodel, not sure that will be an option anymore. The old Toon Town M&G also use to be able to use it.

Character M&G are so difficult. Thankfully the M&G on Main St. has a fast pass option. I highly recommend getting a fast pass for this. Hopefully the New Fantasyland M&G will have that option too? Wish the Tink M&G had a fast pass. All other ones, we have to skip when the temps are hot.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #33
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink

Character Connection at Epcot was the only one we were able to use it at, but with the remodel, not sure that will be an option anymore. The old Toon Town M&G also use to be able to use it.

Character M&G are so difficult. Thankfully the M&G on Main St. has a fast pass option. I highly recommend getting a fast pass for this. Hopefully the New Fantasyland M&G will have that option too? Wish the Tink M&G had a fast pass. All other ones, we have to skip when the temps are hot.
That would great. When my DD sees a character she wants to see real real bad. Then she sees all the people around and freaks out. So she will not stay in line. I also have a DD 10 who also wants to see the characters but with my DD 7 who is very uneasy around any type of crowd. So that being said neither of my girls get to see the characters. Which makes them both sad.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,906

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
That would great. When my DD sees a character she wants to see real real bad. Then she sees all the people around and freaks out. So she will not stay in line. I also have a DD 10 who also wants to see the characters but with my DD 7 who is very uneasy around any type of crowd. So that being said neither of my girls get to see the characters. Which makes them both sad.
It's pretty much the same for us, but add in heat that is a trigger for seizures. Maybe this will work for you, as it's something we have had to do. At DHS for the Phinneas and Ferb M&G I asked how long the queue would be and explained our situation to the cm. I asked if it would be ok for one of us to stay in line and the other to take ds to somewhere airconditioned, then come back closer to the time. I asked if it will be a problem if cm's switch out before they come back. She promised it would be fine. So I stood outside while they went into the muppet store to cool down. When there were only a few in front of me, I texted dh to come back out.

We also use a medical stroller for ds, so it gives him a bit of a safe haven from all the people. Which can also prove to be a pain to jump back in line with it.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink

It's pretty much the same for us, but add in heat that is a trigger for seizures. Maybe this will work for you, as it's something we have had to do. At DHS for the Phinneas and Ferb M&G I asked how long the queue would be and explained our situation to the cm. I asked if it would be ok for one of us to stay in line and the other to take ds to somewhere airconditioned, then come back closer to the time. I asked if it will be a problem if cm's switch out before they come back. She promised it would be fine. So I stood outside while they went into the muppet store to cool down. When there were only a few in front of me, I texted dh to come back out.

We also use a medical stroller for ds, so it gives him a bit of a safe haven from all the people. Which can also prove to be a pain to jump back in line with it.
That is also a good idea. My only worry would be the people behind us wouldn't know what the situation is will more than likely complain or say something to us. But I guess that is something I would have to deal with at that time. I just want my daughters to be able to have the experience with the characters the same way their sons and daughters do.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421

That is also a good idea. My only worry would be the people behind us wouldn't know what the situation is will more than likely complain or say something to us. But I guess that is something I would have to deal with at that time. I just want my daughters to be able to have the experience with the characters the same way their sons and daughters do.
Oh I just thought about the stroller issue. The last time we were at WDW my dh was going to rent a stroller because my DD gets very drained both physically and mentally. I do think next trip to WDW I'm going to buy a stroller for her. I think that would also give her some comfort. Thank you
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,906

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
That is also a good idea. My only worry would be the people behind us wouldn't know what the situation is will more than likely complain or say something to us. But I guess that is something I would have to deal with at that time. I just want my daughters to be able to have the experience with the characters the same way their sons and daughters do.
It's great to be considerate of the people behind you. Maybe whoever is waiting in line can kind of give a heads up to the people behind.

It may also help if you are able to plan your vacation at less busy times of the year. We have the luxury of an annual pass, so we can save characters for the slower times. I realize not everyone has that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
Oh I just thought about the stroller issue. The last time we were at WDW my dh was going to rent a stroller because my DD gets very drained both physically and mentally. I do think next trip to WDW I'm going to buy a stroller for her. I think that would also give her some comfort. Thank you
If you rent a stroller you'll need to be sure to get the GAC stamped with stroller as wheel chair and a red sticker for the stroller so that you can take it in lines with you. Otherwise it won't be permitted in the queue.

Fidget toys help too with keeping our kids sidetracked from all the people. A hat with a wide brim or a stroller with a sun cover can help block out the sun and the view of all the people too. A glow stick or flash light can help on the dark rides. And I always carry a brush for Wilbarger brushing. Ear phones are another must have with my son to block out the noise. Many of the queues amplify the noise level.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Yes she is very sensitive to loud sounds as well as any sound that keeps repeating itself. We do have ear plugs for her. We are also passholders. I try to tell my girls its not like we are never coming back. They can do it next time. I did read something about putting something on the stroller for the cast members know.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
bean24
Earning My Ears
 
bean24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN


GACs are not used at the outdoor places where characters just appear periodically. Since it's usually just one or 2 characters and one handler, they don't usually have any possibilities for offering accommodations.
Some people have had one member of their party wait close by with the person with a disability, outside of the line while the rest are in the line. When the main part of their party reaches the front, the people outside the line join.
This is what we did last week when we were there. It worked great. I waited on the line then DH brought my DS when we got close to the front. Once something was said but he just said I'm with her and I said didn't you think it was strange an adult waiting by herself for Buzz.
__________________


Me DH DS (2)
bean24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
Mike Bartenhagen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Gretna, Nebraska
Posts: 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean24 View Post
I said didn't you think it was strange an adult waiting by herself for Buzz.
Actually strange but at Disney not uncommon
Mike Bartenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #41
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean24 View Post
This is what we did last week when we were there. It worked great. I waited on the line then DH brought my DS when we got close to the front. Once something was said but he just said I'm with her and I said didn't you think it was strange an adult waiting by herself for Buzz.
Why would it be strange for an adult to be waiting alone to meet a character? There are many threads on this board of people who do this all the time. There is no age limit for meeting the characters.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #42
KimBeano
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl
I agree that family with special needs deal with a lot of issues daily (my sister has three sp.needs kids). And I'm sure Disney would like to be as accommodating as they can be. The issue is the people who scam the system. These people can be blatant in their attempts to skip lines and gain advantages over all the other Disney guests.

These scammers are who make Disney guests so angry. And when countless people are doing it you can imagine that it adds significantly to your wait time.
I'm confused though because how would anyone know if someone is scamming?? The GAC is already specifically for "unseen" issues, right? So how can anyone be judging whether people need it or not if these are for disabilities you can't visually see.

I'm not saying scamming doesn't happen, I'm just saying how would anyone know to be angry about it, unless someone is in line bragging about how they misused the system.

I find it hard to think that very many would pretend there is something wrong with their kid when their isn't. But, i am typically niave. Lol! I don't have a need for this though, and was researching for a friend. Her son has sensory processing disorder and ADHD.
KimBeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #43
Danibelle
DIS Veteran
 
Danibelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Why would it be strange for an adult to be waiting alone to meet a character? There are many threads on this board of people who do this all the time. There is no age limit for meeting the characters.
DH and I have done this a few times. I really didn't notice whether others were staring or not. I also waited in line with 1 or 2 DGDs while the rest sat on a bench out of the heat. When we got close to the characters, the rest joined up and no comments were made.
__________________


Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #44
KimBeano
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bartenhagen

In my experience it does seem that the alternative access line is a bit quicker but in exchange for that little "perk" we get at WDW every other year our son endures thousands of seizures each month, he takes 18 pills each day, he has had 3 brain surgeries, countless injuries from falls, he uses a wheelchair to get around, etc. I wouldn't mind sitting down with some of those that are angry about the alternative entrances so they could explain to me just how lucky we are
Thank you for your response. I am so blessed to have 2 girls without special needs. But, my best friend has a DS that has SPD and ADHD (which is minor compared to others) and I know first hand what she deals with on a daily basis. Her DS is 3 weeks younger than my DD so very easy to compare and she has to worry about so much every day that I do not have to. If I could give her a FOTL pass for everything I would, even if it meant I had to wait slightly longer. I don't understand why anyone NOT needing assistance would be angry by those that do. Just thank God that you don't need it and move on.
KimBeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #45
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 6,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBeano View Post
Thank you for your response. I am so blessed to have 2 girls without special needs. But, my best friend has a DS that has SPD and ADHD (which is minor compared to others) and I know first hand what she deals with on a daily basis. Her DS is 3 weeks younger than my DD so very easy to compare and she has to worry about so much every day that I do not have to. If I could give her a FOTL pass for everything I would, even if it meant I had to wait slightly longer. I don't understand why anyone NOT needing assistance would be angry by those that do. Just thank God that you don't need it and move on.
I think people would not begrudge one special needs kid FOTL, but in Disney there could be hundreds of people with varied disabilities on any given day, if not thousands. Even healthy children do not like waiting on lines and can get ancy, and it makes their waits even longer. I think a pass to return (based on the estimated wait time) for attractions and characters would appease everyone, but they don't seem to use that option very often.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.