Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We didn't know at first. But we were standing in line and one of the cast members came up at took us right to the front.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

The same thing happened to us. We had our GAC visible and a CM saw it and moved us to the front. We didn't ask for any accommodation, we were just standing in the regular line with everyone else.
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
I didn't realize you could use the gac for character lines.
While it states on the front that is it not for use for Character greetings, I suppose it's up to CM discretion. I've read several reports of people being accommodated particularly at indoor character meets. I wouldn't expect it to be accepted, but nice that it has helped some people.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I didn't realize you could use the gac for character lines.
Officially, GACs are not for character greetings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
While it states on the front that is it not for use for Character greetings, I suppose it's up to CM discretion. I've read several reports of people being accommodated particularly at indoor character meets. I wouldn't expect it to be accepted, but nice that it has helped some people.
CMs may allow a GAC to be used at the indoor, permanent character greetings. Because they are in a permanent place, there may be some accommodations that CMs are able to offer.
Exactly what may depend on the exact location, when you are coming and how busy it is.

GACs are not used at the outdoor places where characters just appear periodically. Since it's usually just one or 2 characters and one handler, they don't usually have any possibilities for offering accommodations.
Some people have had one member of their party wait close by with the person with a disability, outside of the line while the rest are in the line. When the main part of their party reaches the front, the people outside the line join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
The same thing happened to us. We had our GAC visible and a CM saw it and moved us to the front. We didn't ask for any accommodation, we were just standing in the regular line with everyone else.
Sometimes, especially when it is not busy, CMs will move anyone who needs 'special handling' to a different place. This is usually because it will be quicker and more efficient for the attraction, not as a perk for the person.
I have also been in many situations where someone thinks they have gotten front of line when they were pulled into the accessible area to wait. This most often happens for show, where they do seat people with mobility devices and special needs first. They still get into the same show they would have gotten into if they were in the regular line, but they have a less crowded place to wait and are taken into the theater in less of a crowd.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Do not expect to use a GAC for character greetings! It is up to the CM in charge to let you ahead of the line. We never use ours, but sometimes a CM will see us in line (disabilities are fairly obvious) and will ask us to the front of the line.

The only time you can be virtually guaranteed front of the line access for character greetings is if your child is on a Make-A-Wish trip and they wear a special pin that is easy for the CM's to see.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
Officially, GACs are not for character greetings.

CMs may allow a GAC to be used at the indoor, permanent character greetings. Because they are in a permanent place, there may be some accommodations that CMs are able to offer.
Exactly what may depend on the exact location, when you are coming and how busy it is.

GACs are not used at the outdoor places where characters just appear periodically. Since it's usually just one or 2 characters and one handler, they don't usually have any possibilities for offering accommodations.
Some people have had one member of their party wait close by with the person with a disability, outside of the line while the rest are in the line. When the main part of their party reaches the front, the people outside the line join.

Sometimes, especially when it is not busy, CMs will move anyone who needs 'special handling' to a different place. This is usually because it will be quicker and more efficient for the attraction, not as a perk for the person.
I have also been in many situations where someone thinks they have gotten front of line when they were pulled into the accessible area to wait. This most often happens for show, where they do seat people with mobility devices and special needs first. They still get into the same show they would have gotten into if they were in the regular line, but they have a less crowded place to wait and are taken into the theater in less of a crowd.
I didn't think it would be used for characters
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #22
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I didn't think it would be used for characters
It isn't.
But sometimes there are things the CMs can do for the indoor, permanent meet and greets.
Don't expect to get in right away - when they so give an accommodation, it's usually allowing you to wait outside of the line instead of staying in the line.

If the wait is 15 minutes or less, expect to just wait in the regular line with everyone else. And, even if it longer, they may not be able to do anything to help. It depends on the location, staffing and what else is going on.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Piper
DIS Veteran

It disturbs me a little to see how many people posted when this was on the regular board) that the OP would get front of the line. That tells me that is the "public's perception" when it isn't the reality.

Sorry this was a little off the subject--but it does bother me that people seem to think that people with disabilities get perks when it isn't true. No wonder so many are angry.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
lunaemica
Earning My Ears

Gac

It is relatively straight forward to get a GAC. Bring a doctors note detailing what issues your child has to the town hall and they'll get you taken care of.
lunaemica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaemica View Post
It is relatively straight forward to get a GAC. Bring a doctors note detailing what issues your child has to the town hall and they'll get you taken care of.
No note is needed from your doctor and most CMs will not even look at it. At any GS at any of the 4 parks, you need to take the person that needs the GAC and explain what issues the person has in relation to touring the parks and the CMs will determine what stamps to put on the GAC.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 6 can answer all your questions about GACs (plus some you didn't think of).

Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
wendyt_ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 6 can answer all your questions about GACs (plus some you didn't think of).
This is very helpful thanks

HRH/GFV Sept 5-Sept 13, 2014/GCF/Vegas April 26-May 3, 2014/AKL SV(DVC)/BLT TPV(DVC) Oct 12-20, 2013 (Girl's Trip)/AOA/AKL SV(DVC) - May 12-20,2013 (1st Trip with little brother)/Townhouse condo off-site - Feb 13-20, 2013/AKL SV/BLT TPV (DVC) - Oct 3-9, 2012 / DLH Paris (DVC) - Sept 10-12, 2012 - London/Paris vacation/AKL(DVC) - April 21-29th, 2012(Girl's trip)/Split Stay - Poly TPV/AKL SV/CR MK View - Oct 11 - 19, 2011 /CBR Oct 31 - Nov 8, 2010 /The Venetian Las Vegas Sept 25 - 30, 2010 - First trip to Disneyland / CSR Nov 27 - Dec 8 2009 /POP June 15, 2008 - June 25, 2008 - Our Disney Honeymoon / Sheraton Vistana Sept 22, 2006-30, 2006 - First Trip/DH proposed during Wishes in Rose Garden
wendyt_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
Mike Bartenhagen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
It disturbs me a little to see how many people posted when this was on the regular board) that the OP would get front of the line. That tells me that is the "public's perception" when it isn't the reality.

Sorry this was a little off the subject--but it does bother me that people seem to think that people with disabilities get perks when it isn't true. No wonder so many are angry.
In my experience it does seem that the alternative access line is a bit quicker but in exchange for that little "perk" we get at WDW every other year our son endures thousands of seizures each month, he takes 18 pills each day, he has had 3 brain surgeries, countless injuries from falls, he uses a wheelchair to get around, etc. I wouldn't mind sitting down with some of those that are angry about the alternative entrances so they could explain to me just how lucky we are
Mike Bartenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bartenhagen View Post
In my experience it does seem that the alternative access line is a bit quicker but in exchange for that little "perk" we get at WDW every other year our son endures thousands of seizures each month, he takes 18 pills each day, he has had 3 brain surgeries, countless injuries from falls, he uses a wheelchair to get around, etc. I wouldn't mind sitting down with some of those that are angry about the alternative entrances so they could explain to me just how lucky we are

Let me say for all of what your family goes though I don't know why people care that you get to the front of the line. I or any one in my very large family would not think twice about letting in front of us. My niece has problems and for that my sister (a single mother) goes though it the least that Disney can do is to let her or any family like hers to the front. Don't listen to these rude people. Enjoy the pass and use it. That's what it's there for.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

I honestly don't see where anyone was being negative in this post. Just people giving friendly advise to the op. I mean even the op thanked everyone for helping her out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: