Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
abwdreaming
Mouseketeer

Handicap Room on concierge level

Hi, Sorry if this is already posted somewhere else I can not seem to locate any information yet. So, I am looking for information about handicap rooms on Concierge Level. Pictures would also be nice.
My mother is 85 and in a wheel chair (EVC) but can use a regular wheel chair. She can walk a short distance but definitely needs a roll in bathroom. It will be her first trip to WDW and our first vacation just the two of us.
abwdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Piper
DIS Veteran

Which resort?
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

The one trip where DD12 was in a wheelchair, we stayed Poly CL. We were put in an accessible room on the first floor of the Hawaii building (all Poly CL non-suites are in Hawaii). The room had a bigger bathroom with a grab bar by the toilet and a roll-in shower with a fold down seat.

The room was great but the lounge not so much. There's no button for the door to open unassisted so when there wasn't somebody around to see me struggling to open the door while pulling her through (easier than pushing while trying to manage the door), it was very akward. There's also not a lot of room to navigate inside the lounge with a big ECV (it wasn't too bad with a 16" manual chair but that's smaller than an ECV). Hopefully with the upcoming Hawaii renovations they'll take care of some of the lounge issues.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
videogal1
Boogie Queen
Remember to pack the can opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
The room was great but the lounge not so much. There's no button for the door to open unassisted so when there wasn't somebody around to see me struggling to open the door while pulling her through (easier than pushing while trying to manage the door), it was very akward. There's also not a lot of room to navigate inside the lounge with a big ECV (it wasn't too bad with a 16" manual chair but that's smaller than an ECV).
In cases like this request that they unhook the hydraulic arm that controls the soft-closing feature. Because of the fire codes that address the door controls (like the soft self close) in facilities with interior hallways like the Poly you may have to insist but it's the only way to manage these types of doors alone. I simply told them that I'd be calling the front desk for assistance every time I needed to enter or exit my room...at all hours of the day or night. They unhooked it for the 2 nights I was there...Then I left for the first repositioning cruise and have avoided resorts with interior hallways since...
Inaugural 10-day Holiday Magic December '04
Inaugural Westward Repositioning cruise May '05
Service Dog Training cruise (HAL) November '04
BWI, BC, AKL, POP, POR, Poly, Sequoia (DLP) between '93 and 2003.
videogal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

In the board walk atleast for floor four their a place to put your key for the door to open and their a cm at the desk who can can open the door from their desk. i was their and the door was broken so they left it open and then when it was fixed it was very easy to get in and out. Sorry their night not been a button to edit it open automatically when you got close.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by disney david; 11-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: