DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
xmas16
Mouseketeer

If you knew then what you know now?

As I contemplate a DVC membership I'm also wondering if any of you current DVC owners would change anything about your purchase experience ? Any tips that you can offer a prospective buyer that you didn't get when you went through the process?

Steve
xmas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I wish I would have split my 250 points into 2 contracts of 150 and 100 (150 was the min at the tim). I would like to buy at GCV but I really don't need more points. If I would have split it, I could sell the 100 and buy 100 at GCV.
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas16 View Post
As I contemplate a DVC membership I'm also wondering if any of you current DVC owners would change anything about your purchase experience ? Any tips that you can offer a prospective buyer that you didn't get when you went through the process?

Steve
I would have purchased more points from the get go at my initial home resort, instead of not and then adding on later at the same resort. Adding-on at another resort is okay, but I should have just gotten what we wanted at one time.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

I would have bought in YEARS earlier.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan View Post
I would have bought in YEARS earlier.
yeah, that too...

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
wdwnut
DIS Veteran

Me too! I would have bought OKW in 93 (instead of waiting for BWV) and had 7 years of free passes. Then I would have just done an add-on or two at BWV.
wdwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I would have liked to have bought a few years earlier and more points the first time (and split them - which I know I would not have known even then).

We have added on once at our first home resort, then we bought at BCV and then added on again at BCV.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

I wish I had known that with a little bit of pressure I could have purchased my first resort choice of OKW. I'm not unhappy with BLT mind you, but I check every day for the right resale for OKW so I can add on there.

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

I would have purchased at least 5 years earlier and I would have purchased more points to begin with. We started out with a 230 point contract, and quickly discovered it was not enough, so we added a 150 point contract the next year. The good thing about doing it that way is that we ended up with smaller contracts instead of large ones. We also kept all of our points at one resort to make use more flexible. Now that we have the number of points we need, a small add on at another resort was possible.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

I would have bought earlier and split my initial purchase of VWL into two smaller contracts.

Good luck with your decision!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
cheezNE1
member since 2006

I would have split up into 2 different resort and not purchase the resort I have now.

deep thoughts-During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were "just going down to the corner."
cheezNE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
My5Mouseketeers
Mouseketeer

I wish I had realized that Disney sales people are still "sales people" and will lead you to believe certain things are true when they are not. I had these "Disney would not mislead " blinders on and I shouldn't have.

My Sales Rep (who is gone now) knew we had 9 people in our party (my 7 plus my parents). Legal said to me "we won't tell you that you can have 9 people in a room, but I will say that Disney does not do head counts". After we bought we learned that you can not have 9 people in a room.

We have always been able to make it work by having friends at Disney at the same time where we put one person on their reservation and then had everyone sleep with.

I am still happy we bought and the THVs/AKV/ and BLT will all work for us even better.

(19)(17)(17)( 14)(12)
My5Mouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas16 View Post

Steve
I would still buy.

One thing that I understood when I buy that I think other's don't... DVC is NOT a democracy. It's a dictatorship. Disney has ALL the power. If you can't deal with that and think that this is like a Home Owners Association then you are not going to be happy.

My other MAIN piece of advice. Take the "complaints, whining" on here and divide by 50% and then take with a grain of salt. Remember that most folks who don't have a problem don't bother to post "my room was fine, my stay was great etc" And once again we are back to "unrealistic" expectations, for example, the word "request" means just that. It does not mean "I asked for room X and Disney should throw the other guests out to make me happy"

I did do a lot of research and knew that I could do better resale and bought via a broker for the resort I wanted....
Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
JasonDVC
DIS Veteran

Aside from knowing about it and buying earlier, or finding this site before we bought, I would have used my Developer points immediately. We found out my wife was preganat shortly after buying and decided to rent our DP's uinstead of using them. My advice, get the DP's (or now they are offering a cruise) and USE THEM.

JasonDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
MikeNY

Earning My Ears

We would have bought sooner and split our points between SSR and BWV.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: