Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
Maybe you could just order a virgin cuba libre?? (only Big Bang Theory fans will get this)
We do not drink, but often go this route. Never felt uncomfortable around those who do. If offered, we politely say no thanks.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Mickeys View Post
Can I request to be at your table??
Yes, we only allow fun people, drinkers or not!!!!!!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

We don't drink either, but we weren't offered drinks that often.

We told our servers on the first night that we don't drink, and were never offered any for the remainder of the week, and the few times we were asked out on deck or Castaway Cay, we just politely said we don't drink.

It really wasn't a problem at all.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

They hit pretty hard the first day for the packages and offers to get beverages. After that it tends to die down. At the theater, they ask the first couple of days and after that we are left alone. But, i don't make eye contact either. It would really be a ruff job pushing beverages like that. They are just doing what is required of them.

At the shows or games, they put a napkin upside down if you don't want served. Carry your own napkin and put it out if it bothers you.

Don't let it get you worked up.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I'm sure it gets annoying after a while, but my feeling is, if the worst thing that happened to me is that I'm sitting by a pool, on a beautiful cruiseship, and I'm being asked too often if I want a drink: I'm doing pretty well!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz
Maybe you could just order a virgin cuba libre?? (only Big Bang Theory fans will get this)
With umbrella, of course! Love Sheldon!!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I don't drink alcohol and didn't experience any issues at all on our recent cruise. I said "no thank you" a handful of times and that was about it. I did stop my husband mid-order one time when he was asking for a Sprite from one of the roving servers because he had no clue that you pay extra for that service (duh, when they are asking for your KTTW card, you are handing over *money*!!)...glad I got there in time for that one! LOL! That was about it though.

Our servers were great about it though and never once pushed alcohol. It was pretty clear that I drank only water and my husband drank only Sprite.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
Teri1
DIS Veteran

I suggest letting your server at Palo or Remy know you don't drink alcohol. That is what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

On the other hand, I have always found DCL to be fairly restrained in the matter of pushing drinks, especially when compared to HAL--a more adult-oriented cruise line. The one exception would be on embarkation day, when there seems to be a general push to sell the various drink packages.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Never had a problem. In a bar, they will place a napkin on your table to indicate that you have been asked. You won't be disturbed by another server all night unless you flag one down.

When the drinks are free, you are welcome to ask if they have a virgin variety. We often ask for a soda at the Platinum/Gold reception.

On the pool deck, the napkin trick doesn't work--they blow away! So yes, you will be asked there. Just say "no thanks."
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Mickeys View Post
I don't remember anyone offering us *free* drinks like the original post stated... I was obviously in the wrong place!
Maybe you mean the servers at the sail away party or the specialty drinks... those are all $$ drinks you pay for and not free.
On 7 night & longer cruises there are free drinks being served in the Atrium for Captain's night (semi-formal night). Servers are walking around with drinks on trays. Wines & some mixed drinks. You can choose from what they have, but not request anything special.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
newbydisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
They hit pretty hard the first day for the packages and offers to get beverages. After that it tends to die down. At the theater, they ask the first couple of days and after that we are left alone. But, i don't make eye contact either. It would really be a ruff job pushing beverages like that. They are just doing what is required of them.

At the shows or games, they put a napkin upside down if you don't want served. Carry your own napkin and put it out if it bothers you.

Don't let it get you worked up.

WOW I never even noticed any offers of drinks at the Theaters...but I must put out strong I don't drink vibes....I rarely get asked and have a heck of a time flagging anyone down for my at least once a cruise virgin Pina Colada...soo good with extra lime please!! We have had two occasions where the servers did not seem to get it... once at Castaway Key. My husband went to the bar very early in the day (when perhaps it would not be too surprising that someone would not want a drink yet) and ordered a Soda and a Virgin Pina Colada...I did not hear exactly what the server said to my husband but some wisecrack. I heard my husband say it's for my wife and then the server again made some comment about not getting me drunk or something...it was very inappropriate and I really felt like that server had honestly never served a non alcoholic drink at the Adult Beach and/or maybe he was new??? I am confident that at some point that server will figure out that not everyone drinks. We had another rather odd thing happen at Palo when they brought the lemoncello at the end of the meal..or is it between courses?..in any event they were rather insistent that we drink it...again that was their error...but those are the only two strange things that have happened to us anywhere on Disney property and we are there alot. We have often been seated with people who do not drink or at least do not choose to drink on the cruise either for health or budget reasons..it's interesting when you don't drink you realize many many people do not drink...so the servers are for the most part very understanding.
newbydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #28
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Smile

I have been on 3 dcl cruises- a 3day,a 5 day and a 7 day. Without a doubt the 7 day on the Magic was the worst- we started to feel like we were being harrassed they asked us so many times on the pool deck and above.

We are very easy going but it was constant and one right after the other. We had young teens with us at the time too.

I like am umbrella drink every now and then but it was too much.

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #29
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbydisney View Post
WOW I never even noticed any offers of drinks at the Theaters...but I must put out strong I don't drink vibes....I rarely get asked and have a heck of a time flagging anyone down for my at least once a cruise virgin Pina Colada...soo good with extra lime please!! We have had two occasions where the servers did not seem to get it... once at Castaway Key. My husband went to the bar very early in the day (when perhaps it would not be too surprising that someone would not want a drink yet) and ordered a Soda and a Virgin Pina Colada...I did not hear exactly what the server said to my husband but some wisecrack. I heard my husband say it's for my wife and then the server again made some comment about not getting me drunk or something...it was very inappropriate and I really felt like that server had honestly never served a non alcoholic drink at the Adult Beach and/or maybe he was new??? I am confident that at some point that server will figure out that not everyone drinks. We had another rather odd thing happen at Palo when they brought the lemoncello at the end of the meal..or is it between courses?..in any event they were rather insistent that we drink it...again that was their error...but those are the only two strange things that have happened to us anywhere on Disney property and we are there alot. We have often been seated with people who do not drink or at least do not choose to drink on the cruise either for health or budget reasons..it's interesting when you don't drink you realize many many people do not drink...so the servers are for the most part very understanding.
Sounds like the server at CC was just being friendly and I doubt they meant anything inappropriate by their comment. They serve non alcoholic drinks all the time...as you said....many people don't drink.

Our Palo server was very insistent that we try everything but not in a pushy way, he truly wanted us to get the whole "experience" of Palo by trying each course.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear luvs grumpy
I know that we are not the only couple that chose to not drink but how do you handle it? I get a little tired of constently being asked if I would like a drink. I am accustomed to the strange looks I get when the drink is free and I refuse it but I do get tired of it.
We don't either.
Wasn't an issue. And the kind lady on CC got our diet coke and Shirley temple without batting an eye.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: