Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

Non-drinkers?

I know that we are not the only couple that chose to not drink but how do you handle it? I get a little tired of constently being asked if I would like a drink. I am accustomed to the strange looks I get when the drink is free and I refuse it but I do get tired of it.
poohbear luvs grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
jjones144
Mouseketeer

It didn't seem to be a problem for us. They didn't come around too much at the pool, except the first day. We said we didn't drink the first night at dinner, and it was never asked again.
jjones144 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear luvs grumpy View Post
I know that we are not the only couple that chose to not drink but how do you handle it? I get a little tired of constently being asked if I would like a drink. I am accustomed to the strange looks I get when the drink is free and I refuse it but I do get tired of it.
We're not drinkers, and in many cruises have never ever had a problem. We always genuinely thank the person who offered, tell them we aren't drinkers, and they have always responded nicely. As always, treat them with respect (don't be mad they asked, appreciate their being there if you needed them) and you'll get it back.

Never been the slightest problem at all.
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Guess I'm not sure where you are coming from. We don't drink much alcohol, but rarely felt out-of-place. At meals, we order our preferred non-alcoholic drink and/or water. In a bar or lounge, I have no problem ordering a soda or something to sip. Around the pool, just said "no thanks." I certainly didn't feel pressured in any way.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
3Mickeys
Mouseketeer

My husband doesn't drink, but I do occasionally. Never had a problem with someone trying to sell us wine or a drink that would "make a sale" and when we declined they would smile and find out what we did want. Our table servers quickly discovered what my hubby tended towards and would ask if he wanted his iced tea, or lemonade or whatever.

I don't remember anyone offering us *free* drinks like the original post stated... I was obviously in the wrong place!
Maybe you mean the servers at the sail away party or the specialty drinks... those are all $$ drinks you pay for and not free.
3Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

We were always kind. Politely said no thatnks we don't drink. I respect they were doing their job. We never had a problem at dinner but, any time we were at the pool or at any activity we were asked often if we wanted a drink. I know we were asked more often than others because we didn't already have a drink but I was to the point that I would have bought a button that said NON-Drinker because we were, albeit kindly, asked every five minutes. I don't expect them to remember everyone's face but I was asked multiple times by the same CM's.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

You will be asked, by many different servers around the pool, in lounges, in the theatre pre show, in the dining room, etc.

It is not forced upon you but there are many different servers that service the same area so you may be asked more than once by a different server. We just politely say no thanks when we do not want a drink.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

The free drinks I was referring to was minimal and that was at a DVC meeting but we were given very questioned looks when we said no thank you.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
3Mickeys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear luvs grumpy View Post
We were always kind. Politely said no thatnks we don't drink. I respect they were doing their job. We never had a problem at dinner but, any time we were at the pool or at any activity we were asked often if we wanted a drink. I know we were asked more often than others because we didn't already have a drink but I was to the point that I would have bought a button that said NON-Drinker because we were, albeit kindly, asked every five minutes. I don't expect them to remember everyone's face but I was asked multiple times by the same CM's.
You don't have to order alcohol from the walking servers... my husband was always ordering soda in cans from the servers as he preferred that over the fountain stuff. As soon as you did want a server to come by... I'm sure there wouldn't be any!
: )
Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

I'm not 21 yet, but when I am with my parents, plenty of people ask if they would like something to drink. The servers on DCL were never forceful, they would take the no thank you, and generally would say have a nice day and walk away. Never much of an issue.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

The only time I recall the servers asking quite a bit was during bingo, which was held in a bar. We were drinking so they did seam to come by every few minutes too see if we wanted a re-fill.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Maybe you could just order a virgin cuba libre?? (only Big Bang Theory fans will get this)
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I am not a big drinker either. We bring our own wine and beer to enjoy in our stateroom after DD falls asleep for the night. We found that on DCL they are not pushy at all. I think it's because they are so family friendly and it wouldn't be responsible for them to get parents drunk when they are looking after their kids. That being said we really didn't go to the bars late at night. When we get asked I thought of it more as the crew trying to provide excellent service and making sure people are being offered a drink. I have never been pressured to purchase, they just simply move on to the next adult. Usually by a couple days they realize we aren't big drinkers and stop asking us lol.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Thank you. I always forget that not everyone likes or chooses to drink alcohol. We often will buy a bottle of wine for the table at dinner and offer to everyone. I will pay more attention this coming trip and see if anyone is a non-drinker and have the staff bring something fun and non-alcoholic if appropriate.

And I second what the other person said. Just because you are asked if you want a drink, it doesn't immediately imply alcoholic. They can bring cokes and waters and non-alcoholic drinks to you poolside.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
3Mickeys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
Thank you. I always forget that not everyone likes or chooses to drink alcohol. We often will buy a bottle of wine for the table at dinner and offer to everyone. I will pay more attention this coming trip and see if anyone is a non-drinker and have the staff bring something fun and non-alcoholic if appropriate.

And I second what the other person said. Just because you are asked if you want a drink, it doesn't immediately imply alcoholic. They can bring cokes and waters and non-alcoholic drinks to you poolside.
Can I request to be at your table??

My DH doesn't drink because it has negative reaction to his medications. A couple we are good friends with don't drink because of their religion. And another set of very good friends don't drink because one has addiction issues... the reasons go on and on. A smile and a no thank you very much is all that is needed. Your offer of wine is lovely, and to follow up with an offer of a non-alcoholic drink would be extra kind. Everyone is on VACATION... it could be worse.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: