Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
AlexandAndysMom
Mouseketeer

Help with choice! POP or POR??

I need your help! We are planning to go the last week of Feb 2013 and can't decide on what to do. There will be 3 adults, 2 children and baby (well, 15 months). We were thinking about staying at POR this time because the cost is about the same. But, we've been POP people and have done 2 rooms before. Given the choice, what would you do? What are the Pros and Cons to POR? Transportation? Location away from food courts? Any help would be appreciated!
10/2010 for MNSSHP with DH, DS (8), and DS (3)
4/2011 Surprise Birthday and Graduation Trip!!
2/2013 Baby's First Trip!
2/2014 Cause we can!
AlexandAndysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
married2mm
DIS Veteran

if the price is basically the same- i would choose por.

it's a lovely resort-there are several pools, the main one has a slide, the food court has a good selection, there is also a ts restaurant (we've not ate there) and you can also use the pool at pofq.

there are loads of pictures and wonderful comments on this site.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

I would pick POR we were just there in Aug. we loved it. the grounds are beautiful. The food court is large and has a great selection. We loved the make your own pasta bowl. We Ate at Boatwrights which is the TS restaraunt there and really enjoyed it. It had a yummy butterscotch creme brulee! The CM were all wonderful. If you decide on POR don't miss Yeehaw Bob's show in the lounge! Its a lot of fun for all ages.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Andreia
You're never too old to become younger!

POR has queen size beds.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both and would choose POR any day! I liked pop but loved POR. Bussing wasn't an issue for us .

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
LlamaMamaof2
Mouseketeer

Have been to both. Would recommend Pop because if you get 2 rooms, you get 2 bathrooms!! If you are Pop people, you already know what's there. There are more amenities at POR, like mentioned, including the slide and beautiful grounds. POR has a good food court too. We were really, really far from everything when we were at POR. Pop doesn't seem as spread out to me. Bus at Pop is only for Pop. Bus at POR will often do POFQ too. But POR has the boat ride to downtown Disney. Great option either way. Enjoy!!
LlamaMamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

I am a Pop Fan. We stay there every year and love it. has a great layout, great food court. If your favorite park is Hollywood Studios, you are really close by.

Check out my 2014 Pre-Trip Report
Wish It Was May

Check me out on Pinterest!
Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Luv0fDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter which resort you choose! My family has not had a chance to stay at POP, but POR is very nice and now they have the new Royal rooms which would be great to try! POR also has a sit-down restaurant and a much more immersive theme than POP. However, as was previously stated, POP does have its own buses which is a plus. All things considered, I would probably stay at POR but I know wherever you stay will be great!

mjaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Those are my two fave resorts! OMG that's a tough one to choose. if cost is the same i suppose id pick POR. the place is gorgeous and serene. you get surrey bike rentals and the boat to DTD is awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
MistDis
Mouseketeer

I have never stayed at POR but have stayed at POFQ once and Pop many times. Pop is one of our favorites with the awesome food court and theming. Plus now you can walk over the bridge to check out AoA too! But I'm sure you can't go wrong with whichever you choose
MistDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I love POR, but were you planning on 2 rooms there? As much as i love this resort, I wouldn't want to stay in 1 room with the amount of people you have going. Even though they accom. 5 + baby it would be way to cramped for me, and I'd go with 2 rooms at POP, unless you can do 2 rooms at POR.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

We have stayed a POP a few times, and POFQ once. We visited POR briefly last year. Both my wife and I loved it, and have decided to stay there this January.

I find the value resorts to be just okay. They are relatively inexpensive, but are too much like the old Howard Johnsons motel with the additon of giant graphics. The moderate and deluxe resorts feel like resorts, with magnificent details and landscaping. If the cost is similar, I'd definately upgrade!
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
jsw1114
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed POR this past September it was me dh ds 12 dd 10 dd 7 my problem was we were way too packed in one room. We need the extra space to breath. And a 2nd bathroom is so worth it!
jsw1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
JessM
We all have a dream

With 3 kids I'd chose Pop and get that extra bathroom. For use the second bathroom makes all the difference in making RD in the morning! I also like that Pop is more compact. Everytime I have stayed at POR we have ended up so far away from the food court it was not practical to go eat there in the morning. I also don't like the multiple bus stops, it seems like the bus ride takes forever that way.
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

In my previous post I said that I would stay at POR over POP, but I think you mean two rooms at POP vs. one at POR, is that correct? In that case, I would probably go with two rooms over just one because you would have a lot more space. Something else to consider is staying at Art of Animation. The Little Mermaid rooms are about the same price as POP and IMO Art of Animation is AMAZING!! The pools, the dining...it's just great. I told DH last time that I would stay at AoA again over any other value or moderate (and possibly even some deluxe) resorts.

mjaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: