Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Carnival has always had the reputation of being a "party boat" which personally, we have not found, and is called the "Fun Ships" but it has never been referred to as the Big Red Boat.

BRB were ships that belonged to Premier Cruise Line (were were red) and originally had Disney characters onboard and tied in a land/sea vacation with WDW. This was all before DCL had their own ships. Disney did not like the agreement with the cruise line anymore so they ended it and then Looney Tunes characters started on the BRB. Eventually the cruise line went bankrupt.

That is why I was confused when poster said they were recently on the Big Read Boat.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
over50visits
DIS Veteran

It's a shame DCL has to enforce a rule for people to follow it! I see so many questions asked here about "can I do this even though it is against Disney's rules/policies/guidelines" being answered with "Disney doesn't enforce it."
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
jgura
Discruiser

Rolling cooler

Thank you for sharing your experience OP. If anyone runs into this in Galveston please let us know. My soft sided rolling cooler always stays in the room. Since the Magic and Wonder cooling boxes do not keep beer cold, we store the drinks in the cooler. Now what if my rolling cooler fits in my carry-on? Are they going to take that up?
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgura View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience OP. If anyone runs into this in Galveston please let us know. My soft sided rolling cooler always stays in the room. Since the Magic and Wonder cooling boxes do not keep beer cold, we store the drinks in the cooler. Now what if my rolling cooler fits in my carry-on? Are they going to take that up?
We had no issues keeping beer/wine chilled in our cooling box. We did keep a full ice bucket in it all week and our beer and wine was the perfect temperature.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
RRB
No other place like it (WDW)

I was on the same 3 night cruise as the OP and decided before the cruise that I would not take the chance with a rolling cooler. We always bring our own wine/champagne/beer and needed a way to keep it cool so I bought a 48 can, soft sided, collapsible, water proof cooler at Wallmart for $24. It fits in the ottoman, folds flat in a suitcase and works like a champ. I bring in the bottles in a standard suitcase. We took it to our cabana at CC without a problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #36
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by degrapevine View Post
A small rolling suitcase is fine to carry on (please carry it on because if anything breaks/leaks, you can ruin someone else's luggage) and you can put your beverages in there. We put the water bottles and wine in our totes/backpacks to carry on, so it doesn't seem like the actual contents were the issue. DCL also removed a small steamer from my mom's suitcase (which she shouldn't have brought, but didn't know it wasn't allowed) which she was able to pick up at lost and found in the terminal after debarkation. I glanced at the list when she had to sign it and it seemed like the items they had confiscated were steamers, irons, coffee pots, and fishing poles. So those are definitely no-no's (and on the list of things not to bring). A six pack size soft size cooler is fine, just the rolling ones aren't allowed.
Buahahahahaha! Can you imagine someone just casting off the back of the Wonder as it sails along!?!?!?!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #37
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady

Buahahahahaha! Can you imagine someone just casting off the back of the Wonder as it sails along!?!?!?!
My husband would be in heaven! I was once off shopping in DTD and he pulled out his portable rod and through it into the lake there!! Seriously!!?? What the heck was he thinking?! Obviously, the security staff were there within seconds, DUH! Hahahahaha, he still talks about it, and realized how foolish he was! The excitement of the size of the fish just got him so excited that he didn't think, ummm, yeah, there's a reason they are so big! Because you are NOT SUPPOSED to fish there!
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #38
HokieMouse
Earning My Ears

I ordered a soft sided rolling cooler from Brookstone on Friday. I just cancelled my order. The lady taking my cancellation completely understood as I explained my dilemma.
HokieMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #39
tojam
Tojam

At the risk of offending I was told that the coolers have been BANNED due to several people demanding ice and then rolling up to the pool for the day. Call it what you want, safety issue, contamination issue, PROFIT issue, but Disney said enough.

I am all about pinching penny's, etc. but I am always amazed at the lengths people will go to save a few dollars. I would argue that if you do not have 50% of your individual rate to spend on drinks, etc. then a cruise may not be the best choice for you.

Hope I don't offend but I am amazed at the things people do to steal things for souvenirs, coolers by the pool, bogus complaints to attempt to get a credit, etc.

Oh well, to each his own.

NCL Dawn - Repositioning Apr 2014
NCL Getaway - Caribbean Mar 2014
RC Enchantment - Bahamas Feb 2014
Carnival Breeze - Southern Caribbean Jan 2014
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean 2013
RC Oasis of the Seas 2013
Carnival Glory - Caribbean December 2011
Dis Magic- Westbound Transatlantic-September 2011
NCL Jewel - Eastbound Transatlantic - May 2009
Dis Magic - Westbound Transatlantic - August 2007
RC Slendor - Bahamas - February 2007
tojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #40
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Confused....the Big Red Boat has made a comeback???? Premier Cruise Line went bankrupt quite a few years ago

MJ
Ha Ha --I was thinking the same thing!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #41
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

wait so, If i put drinks inside a rolling bag, not an actual cooler, I can't use it?

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

I was on the 9.29 Fantasy cruise and we carried on a soft sided cooler tote bag from 31 that hangs off our stroller. We did have wine & vodka but I also had whole milk for my 16 month old as well that needed to stay cold until we got to our fridge in our room.

No one said anything to us...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer

I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

Hmmm..perhaps some folks have been trying to sneak some extras on board?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Kayla View Post
wait so, If i put drinks inside a rolling bag, not an actual cooler, I can't use it?
DCL's policy allowing guests to bring alcohol onboard is that they will consume that alcohol within the confines of their own stateroom. Hence, there should be no need for a cooler to take your drinks anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan1129 View Post
I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

Hmmm..perhaps some folks have been trying to sneak some extras on board?
DCL's policy allowing guest to bring alcohol onboard hasn't had a PER PERSON limit...? No "extra" to sneak onboard.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #45
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
DCL's policy allowing guests to bring alcohol onboard is that they will consume that alcohol within the confines of their own stateroom. Hence, there should be no need for a cooler to take your drinks anywhere.
ah ok (: just checking

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: