Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #91
goeva
DIS Veteran

Hi, Tammy:
Love your trip report and all the amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by goeva; 11-08-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #92
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeva View Post
Hi, Tammy:
Love your trip report and all the amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.
Eva

Thanks Eva! More coming soon.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #94
OneTreeHillAddict

"Alternative Dinner" at Cabana's

I've been working all night, and I only have time for a small update. I still have more Castaway Cay to add, but I want to do a food post first! DCL announced the Jamaica ports today and I am itching to take one of those cruises. I have to make it happen. Who else is going to Jamaica? Shoot, some of you may be booked already. I see that they're adding stops to some cruises already booked. I would be stoked if they added it to mine.

So, once again my pics are out of order. What's the fun of order though? This baby here I would love to have right now with my coffee. Yes, it's 2:22 in the morning and I'm drinking coffee. Hmm, maybe that's why I can't sleep well at night. Anyway, this dessert was Sidney's. When I sampled it I wanted it all, but I let him keep it. I will say this, the alcohol content was right on. I do see now why they do NOT allow kids to eat the desserts with liquor in them. Had I eaten two of these I would have been lit up for the evening. Did I tell ya'll ~ one night Sidney went up to the beverage thingy up by the pool to get him some tea and me some coffee. On the way back three tipsy (drunk) ladies, in their 50's or 60's (he said they look to be our moms ages), trampled into the elevator with him. Well, more like ON HIM. The coffee went all over one of them and Sidney, mainly on the woman because he held it away from him as it came out. He was still burned though. It was bad enough that he had to get treated for it. Not treated, but they gave him something to put on the burn, and followed up on it the next day. Thank goodness my hair bear is hairy. I'm sure that helped.

Okay, back to the dessert. It was delicious! Next time I'm having two.

Cabanas...but not on Alternative night.

One night we were starving so we went to Cabanas to grab something quick before our dinner. Well, they did not have a buffet going on. Instead it was an alternative sit down meal. We told them we only wanted a quick bite, and they insisted we come on in and try something on the menu. (Dinner was less than an hour away so I didn't want to eat too much) Sidney and my oldest DS tried the steaks.

DD and I had the pasta (which was the appetizer we had the night before at AP) Same size and everything but at Cabanas it was a meal.

DS6 just got a kids meal, tenders and fries I think. He thought the kectchup was funny.

Someone really loved this steak! He said it was the best one he had the whole trip.

Filling up on bread...

We didn't have dessert or anything. Dinner was coming up, and we wanted to save some room for that. The pasta we had was the perfect prelude to dinner.

After a couple of fun pictures with this guy we headed to our nightly dinner event.

The alternative restaurant only had two other tables in it. They were busy with a lot of room service orders. Well, I assume that's what they were doing. They had huge trays of food set up ready to go somewhere. The service over there was wonderful, just as good as the regular wait staff. They took good care of us. I think we may choose the earlier dining time on our next cruise with the show afterwards. We had a long time in between meals this past trip, and the fast food pizza/sandwich counters just didn't do it for me and Sidney. The kids were fine with it, but after a couple of days I was done.

Oh...one more thing. SANITIZER WIPES. DCL loves to hand out these wipes. For those of you who have cruised you know what I mean by this. Those of you going on your first cruise be prepared. You will get wipes before you enter a restaurant, like it or not.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #95
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
Thank you.

Thank you. I honestly had no intentions of doing a trip report, or becoming a travel agent while we were on this cruise. Had I known I would have taken better pictures for my website and FB pages. That gives me a reason to go back though, right? We are looking at the Fantasy next fall. What ship are you guys planning to go on? We want to try them all! I'm just scared now to try the older ones, after cruising on The Dream first.
I think that last comment I left came out wrong. I LOVE the fact that they were normal everyday cruise pictures. I can always go to the Disney site, or any TA website, and see the "perfect" pictures, but I always feel like those pictures don't tell the whole story. Your pictures were beautifully done, and I appreciate you taking the time to share them.

We are looking at the Dream, since we want to do a short Bahama cruise during the summer months. This will be our first cruise, and my oldest son is autistic so we're a little worried about how he will be. But I hear that the disney cast members are wonderful, which is why we are going with Disney. I can't wait!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #96
OneTreeHillAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordMomof2 View Post
I think that last comment I left came out wrong. I LOVE the fact that they were normal everyday cruise pictures. I can always go to the Disney site, or any TA website, and see the "perfect" pictures, but I always feel like those pictures don't tell the whole story. Your pictures were beautifully done, and I appreciate you taking the time to share them.

We are looking at the Dream, since we want to do a short Bahama cruise during the summer months. This will be our first cruise, and my oldest son is autistic so we're a little worried about how he will be. But I hear that the disney cast members are wonderful, which is why we are going with Disney. I can't wait!
I knew what you meant.

They are very good to the kids in the clubs, and there's so much for them to do. My friends with autistic children rave about Disney. They always go out of their way to make sure the kids are taken care of. A 3 or 4 night on the Dream is a great starter cruise. I did the same thing because I wasn't sure how the kids would like it. Only one of mine had sailed previously. Now they all want to try a 7 night or longer. You can go into the kids clubs too at certain times. They do family events for everyone to enjoy. I liked that the most.

Last edited by OneTreeHillAddict; 01-05-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #97
FOV
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Wow! You and your daughter look like twins!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #98
FOV
Mouseketeer

I am really enjoying your trip report. Sometimes a good rain can be a blessing in disguise. I have never seen pictures of CC where there were so few people. We were in Epcot one day after a heavy rain and it was similar, we walked around and there was no one!

You now having me wanting to check out all the bathrooms on the ship! Very fancy, and you are right about the Palo/Remy bathroom looking like it belongs in Vegas. Maybe dd and I will do that one day, dh won't understand...

Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #99
OneTreeHillAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOV View Post
I am really enjoying your trip report. Sometimes a good rain can be a blessing in disguise. I have never seen pictures of CC where there were so few people. We were in Epcot one day after a heavy rain and it was similar, we walked around and there was no one!

You now having me wanting to check out all the bathrooms on the ship! Very fancy, and you are right about the Palo/Remy bathroom looking like it belongs in Vegas. Maybe dd and I will do that one day, dh won't understand...

Looking forward to the next installment.
Yes, she and I are starting to look more alike now. She used to look more like her daddy.

Rain at Disney can be fun, as long as it's warm, there's no lightning, and my good camera is in the car. On our June trip it poured. AK cleared out to a point where there was no one at all. It was pretty cool. I also had a waterproof camera at the time so the pics were great.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #100
OneTreeHillAddict

Enchanted Garden Dinner

I can't believe our next vacation is a few days away. My master bathroom is in pieces, literally it was ripped down to the dirt and is being built back. Talk about stress! O M G! It's about to make me crazy. The entire house is in disarray. My dog's surgery was rescheduled to next week Sidney mixed up the dates. I have a new cat who has decided he's going to be an indoor cat, not an outdoor cat. (I'm allergic to cats, but anyway, I love him so he wins out for now.) <---Of course I have nowhere for him to stay, inside, while I am away at Disney for two weeks. I just ordered clothes for the trip. (They may not arrive in time) I've yet to order my sons birthday cake, or buy the stuff for his Disney World party (working on that later today). Ahhhhhhhhh. What to do, what to do. I could use a cloning machine right about now.

Let's do one more food update before I go back and finish Castaway Cay. This one is for Enchanted Garden. When coming onto the Disney Dream we were told food was available at Enchanted Garden or Cabanas. We chose EG thinking it would be a nicer sit down choice, but instead it was a buffet. To be honest I did not care for that meal at all. It was just run of the mill. Next time we will go to Cabanas. They always had a huge selection of food to choose from. I feel sure it was the same that day.

Our second dinner was at Enchanted Garden. The dinner was a whole different story. It was very good, and the restaurant is just beautiful. We wanted one of those adorable teacup tables but they max out at four people, we're five.

This was the menu

Gorgeous, isn't it?

When I called to book our cruise they asked me if we were celebrating anything. I told them no, but it was the "birthday" gift my kids chose. My youngest two have birthdays in Oct and Nov and said they wanted the cruise and that it could be their birthday gift. The lady asked me a few more questions, and said she'd do a little something for them at dinner one night. I wasn't sure what all that meant, but we found out that evening at Enchanted Garden.

My little guy just loved formal dinner every night. He thought that was the neatest thing ever.

I think we all just enjoyed having a break from life. No grocery shopping, no cooking, and no cleaning for a few days. Surprisingly the kids tried a lot of new things. I was proud of them. Here are some of our appetizers...

This was the best of all!

My daughter loved these lights...

The entrees came out...

The fish was wonderful, but the rice, not so much. A little too crunchy for our liking. I honestly don't think it was cooked long enough. The guys ate up their steaks. DD too, so they must have been good. Remember, we had been at Cabanas already so the rice wasn't a big issue. We started this meal half full.

Our servers were the best on the ship. They went above and beyond...

Everything, except for the rice, was exquisite. Dessert too, but we will have to get that posted tomorrow. I will put up the birthday celebration pictures too. Duty calls, tiles need to be laid. Until next time...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #101
disneymom1980
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad I clicked on your trip report! I'm not sure if you remember, but we talked several times on both your trip reports and mine a couple of years ago. We just got back from a trip to Disney and are planning on doing our first cruise next year. Can't wait to see more .
2008-Port Orleans Riverside (First Family Trip) Trip Report, 2009-Belated Honeymoon at the Contemporary Pre-Trip Report
2010-Anna's 8th Birthday Trip at the Contemporary, 2012-Birthdays and Best Friends--Our first DVC Trip
2012-Halloween at Disney, 2013-Our First Cruise
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #102
OneTreeHillAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom1980 View Post
I'm so glad I clicked on your trip report! I'm not sure if you remember, but we talked several times on both your trip reports and mine a couple of years ago. We just got back from a trip to Disney and are planning on doing our first cruise next year. Can't wait to see more .
I had to take a look, but YES I do remember you. I don't know how we did not become facebook friends...must make it happen now. How have you been? Did you have a great stay? I'd love to hear all about it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #103
disneymom1980
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had to take a look, but YES I do remember you. I don't know how we did not become facebook friends...must make it happen now. How have you been? Did you have a great stay? I'd love to hear all about it.
I've been good.....I'm so glad to have found you again . Our trip was wonderful, and, since we're DVC now we even got to do a preview of the new Fantasyland. We're trying to make trips about once a year now, but this one was kind of a last minute add on since DH and I had been there in January. The kids gave us a guilt trip for going without them, and I think that may have been part of the reason we were there again this year .

Your kiddos have gotten so big!
2008-Port Orleans Riverside (First Family Trip) Trip Report, 2009-Belated Honeymoon at the Contemporary Pre-Trip Report
2010-Anna's 8th Birthday Trip at the Contemporary, 2012-Birthdays and Best Friends--Our first DVC Trip
2012-Halloween at Disney, 2013-Our First Cruise
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #104
OneTreeHillAddict

Birthday fun!

We rarely do those huge blowout birthday parties anymore. People are too busy this day and time to participate in something that doesn't benefit them. Instead of spending $700+ on a party people may or may not show up to, we give the (what would you want to do?) option to our kids. Every single time they choose a night out on the town with a special friend, OR a trip to Disney. The trip to Disney ends up costing the same when all is said and done. (Annual passes, FL room rates...it can happen)

Please don't take that the wrong way. I love a fun birthday party. I just got sick of dealing with monstrous in laws who have better things to do than claim their grandchildren, and people who lie. In January we cleared our lives of these people, never looked back, and it's been the best year of our lives since 1997! That being said, this is probably the best year of birthday parties EVER! (Or it will be...two more are still in progress)

This is the kind of thing we used to do...We had over 100 people at this party. We gave away stuffed animals and toys to the kids when they won carnival style games. Our theme was sort of like a fall festival/fair. Bounce house, a BBQ pig pickin' (mainly for the adults), 5 filled pinatas...we made sure our guests had a great time.

The prizes...

Some of the games (my goodness our place looks completely different back then)

We had a costume contest and gave away a HUGEMONGUS stuffed animal. LOL It was bigger than three of the kids put together. Look at little Eeyore. Awww.

It's just easier to plan a trip than to do all of that.

When DCL asked about the birthdays I figured they'd do a button like the parks, and they did.

But they also came out in a huge group singing...

Someone wanted to kill me right there!

Someone else was tickled to see this happen.

Look at that sweet smile...

Dessert closeup

He wasn't sure if he could eat it...

He finally dug in and loved it!

The rest of us enjoyed dessert time too!

Earlier in the evening our server overheard me talking to Sidney about Creme Brulee, how I was craving it and couldn't wait 'til tomorrow night. This is what they brought me for dessert!

Yes, our server went to the other dining room and got me my "dream" dessert. How sweet is that? They really do good by you on these cruises. If they can make magic happen, they will. I often wonder why...why did we wait so long to sail with Disney?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #105
OneTreeHillAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom1980 View Post
I've been good.....I'm so glad to have found you again . Our trip was wonderful, and, since we're DVC now we even got to do a preview of the new Fantasyland. We're trying to make trips about once a year now, but this one was kind of a last minute add on since DH and I had been there in January. The kids gave us a guilt trip for going without them, and I think that may have been part of the reason we were there again this year .

Your kiddos have gotten so big!
I am so happy you posted on here. That is one of the reasons I came back to Dis. To reconnect with old friends I had made a few years ago. Everything is different now. It's like most people are lurkers, and don't want to share anything about themselves. I don't get it. I'm thinking about ending both current trip reports so I can concentrate on things around here. I have about two weeks to prepare for this huge trip. I hate to waste time on something people aren't reading.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: