Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #121
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Excellent updates!

Those are the best fireworks pictures that I have ever seen. So amazing!

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #122
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
The Snack party sounds awesome! I've never tried so many of those snacks! It's quite appalling.

Franklin's IllumiNations photos are, once again, AMAZING. I can't wait to see what he got the rest of the evening!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
Excellent updates!

Those are the best fireworks pictures that I have ever seen. So amazing!
Thanks for the compliments!

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #123
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Before we continue I almost forgot that I took a video of Sugar Ray at the Eat to the Beat concert.
Enjoy “Fly” by Sugar Ray. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JIHL-8mKs

Our last chapter, we watched Illuminations from the preferred viewing spot from Snack Attack. Missy was pretty beat from the long day and especially from her medical treatment the day before. So she made her way back to Beach Club. What was I doing? Well, Epcot had EMH that night that would last until midnight. I thought this would be a great opportunity to shoot Epcot at night and with fewer people.

I didn’t have a set plan for this. So, I just started at the closest country and worked my way around the world showcase. I also wanted to experiment with a new lens Missy bought me a while back. It’s an ultra-wide angle lens. Actually, we bought it from someone most of you are familiar with, Tom Bricker (from the Disney Tourist Blog).

So with my tripod in hand, I headed off.

Onward we go to... Mexico!

This series of photos my camera is on a tripod and the exposures are between 10 and 30 seconds long.

Then over to Norway...

A mosey over to China...

And a stop in Germany.

On some of the wider shots I tried to get up close to get a different perspective.

I also had a 50mm f/1.4 lens for some blurry-background goodness.

Onto Italy!
While I was taking shots at Spaceship Earth, I turned around and saw Italy nicely framed up for me with the gondola.

Closer to home at the American Adventure Pavillion...
Yeah, I was pretty much in the fountain for this.

Went further East to Japan...

Hey! It’s Moroco, you know, where I was supposed to meet Missy earlier in the night.

Next was a little jaunt to France.

This one took a while to get right. I wanted to retain detail in the bright fountain yet make sure the background wasn’t too dark.

I guess I skipped the United Kingdom. Oops, sorry!

Oh, Canada, you’re up next.

If you look really hard, you can see stars in the sky. This was nearly a one-minute exposure.

Missy wanted a photo of the lights in the sidewalk. I like this shot with people in it, so you don’t lose context.

And there’s always room for a few more photos of Spaceship Earth.
A gorgeous moon was rising over Epcot.

Apparently, I had a thing for fountains that night.

Food and Wine!

It was a good thing Missy wasn’t with me this night. I was taking a long time choosing what to shoot then more time setting it up. She would have been bored out of her mind. But she does get an idea of it later in this trip when I shoot Magic Kingdom at night.

Midnight had finally come. Though I could have stayed a bit later until they kicked me out, I was too tired anyway. Back to Beach Club for me. I got back to the room and of course Missy was passed out.

Not just yet for me. I have a nightly routine on our trips. I make sure all the electronics are charging for the next day. I copy the all the day’s photos onto another device -- I always have 2 copies during the trip. And I reorganize the camera bag for the next day. I take a lot more camera gear than the average person, so the lenses and accessories get tossed around. It all has to stay organized so I can get to things quickly. Photo opportunites don’t usually wait for you, especially at Disney.

That’s it, my solo night in Epcot. What’s your favorite country in the World Showcase? Are there countries you like better at night than at the day?

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #124
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Just beautiful!!! The World Showcase is really pretty-and your photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #125
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

Beautiful, Franklin.

(And, just want to say, I just finished my second night at Epcot - your Illuminations hints helped a lot )
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #127
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Wow - words can't really describe how awesome your photos are! I especially love the one of Italy and Japan (w/SE in the background). I would have to say that it's a toss up of which country is my fav - both Germany and Japan are my favs. Can't wait to see the MK shots!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #128
natebenma
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful photo shoot of Epcot!

How fun that your tour started with a picture of you and your camera & tripod.

I love the perspective on the picture of Italy. The two pictures of the twinkling lights made me smile. Awesome!

And I haven't really noticed the designs in the sidewalk in front of Space Ship Earth before. Very cool!

I'm embarassed to admit that when we travel with the boys, we don't spend much time in the World Showcase. I think my favorite country is Mexico- the plaza is fun, the boat ride is ok (it was much better before the ducks invaded) and the pyramid is intriguing.

Japan has a lot too offer too, with the huge shop, beautiful and peaceful gardens and sushi!

Thank you, Franklin, for offering a pleasant distraction today.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #129
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Wonderful shots of Epcot. You did an amazing job of capturing its beauty at night!

I love Japan, and your photo really did it justice.

I'm also impressed at how you captured the sidewalk lights. Love how the people are silhouetted in the background.

One of the great advantages of staying at the BC - wander Epcot until your heart's content, and then it is only a few steps to home!

Can't wait to see more of your photos!

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #130
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

AMAZING World Showcase photos!!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #131
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Wow, Franklin! Once again, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I'm pretty dense when it comes to photography talk, but it seems like whatever you did with those pictures was the right thing to do! Excellent job! I especially love the photo from China, and the 'pavement light' ones! Beautiful.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #132
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

OH. EMMM. GEEEEEE. Holy awesome photos!

Wow. Simply gorgeous. I love all of the pavilions but especially love the shot you got of Italy with the gondola.

Your photos transport me right back to the happy place.

The Disney Food Blog snack event looks awesome. How cool to have all of the iconic snacks available in one place in mini form and be amongst other Disney lovers???

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #133
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Stormalong Bay is definitely one of the great perks of staying at the Beach Club. It's one of my favorite resorts for sure.

Look at your toes in that picture! So so cool.

So Franklin sinks too huh? I have a friend that can't float either. I definitely don't know what that feels like. I'm extremely buoyant.

Man, that commute to Epcot from the Beach Club is a killer, isn't it?

Haha, I totally remember getting your first booth visit wrong on Facebook. LOL.

I used to be so in love with Mark McGrath back in the day. Love love loved.

Yay on finding a dress! That's so awesome.

Hahaha, thank goodness you guys ended up finding each other in the end.

That party sounds amazing! I so want to go. So so want to go. I remember looking at this update on my iPhone and being like OMG!

The carrot cake cookie is freakin' amazing, isn't it? That and the red velvet cupcake are definitely my favorites.

Yay, Franklin fireworks pictures! They get me every time.

Franklin, your pictures are just absolutely breathtaking.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #134
Chocolab23
Disney Dreaming

I love your ears. How did you make it where you can change the bow?
2013-Going to celebrate my birthday the best way!-PORLet your Hart be your guide/January 2013 PTR
2013-Alex's Unbirthday trip-POR"A Very Merry Unbirthday!" DEC 2013 PTR
Chocolab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #135
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Pixel Dust;46909068]

As for a camera suggestion, I would recommend the Canon S110. It's a very capable point-and-shoot that isn't too intimidating. It packs in more high-end features, like manual controls and RAW format, than bling features. It has a 5X zoom which is more than most people would need. My "everyday lens" on my big camera zooms the same distance and then I'll switch to lenses that don't zoom at all. Zoom with your feet! The main reason I like this camera is its amazing image quality. It "only" has 12 megapixels, which is an advantage in small cameras. High megapixel cameras, like 16 or 20MP, just shove more pixels in the same space which actually reduces image quality. It's that darn physics getting in the way. But people don't need more than 16MP anyways, unless they are printing 20x30 posters all the time.
Here's a review: http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...t_s110_review/

There is also last years model, the S100. Same image quality but is about $70 less and the main difference is that it doesn't have a touchscreen and wifi.

So glad you posted this...... read review too... looks like a nice camera and at a reasonable price point...

Thank you! I work for an architecture firm doing space planning for medical facilities. Not that creative, unfortunately. You could say Disney is my outlet.

you are very talented... just saw the most recent update and those photos are incredibly lovely...

And if you haven't found the BC thread yet: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025785

Thanks for this... planning on checking it out ....

Hmmm... funny your WS question... I'm always a huge fan of the whole France, Morocco, Japan stretch...

I'd have to say nightime adds a whole new depth of appreciation for Germany and Italy- there are some details there in those night photos you took that I don't notice as much in the day... as well as the outside of Mexico... those were pretty great too- some of that detail doesn't stand out for me as much in the day...

oh... honestly your photos are awesome... they make all the countries look great...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: