Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asemaria View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention: the bus took about an hour each way and there were nothing to look at on the way, just abandoned buildings and houses that looked like sheds. DSs were bored within 10 min, so if you go remember to bring some colouring books or similiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb80129 View Post
We booked the all inclusive resort called Nohoch Kay. It just wasn't that great. Lots of sea grass in the ocean and not a lot to see in the water. The service and food weren't very good. Our reservation warned us about taxis taking us to the wrong place and I worried the entire taxi ride where we would end up. The area right by the pier with the pool looked ok but basically just shopping with a pool and bars. Having done that port once, we won't bother again.
i would agree with both the above posts...we did the dune buggy & beach excursion through DCL on our 8/18 Fantasy cruise...it was fun yet nothing spectacular...the beach is full of seaweed and while the dune buggy's were fun you are in the middle of nowhere....

Costa Maya is not well developed and it got slaughtered by hurricane Earnest...i am surprised Disney docks there...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
zstyles
Mouseketeer

Just to reiterate, I have heard nothing good from the excursions, but we enjoyed our "beach day" very much and it was one of the ONLY things we did off the ship we actually enjoyed while in any ports...we didn't do a Disney beach day, we just did our beach day...
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

About 6 years ago, DD was 19 months old, we were in Costa maya. We went to the Chacchoben Ruins. It was a great excursion! We took DD Graco stroller, and when she fell asleep, DH and I carried the stroller up one of the smaller ruins. Most of the excursion was stroller friendly. We have incredible pictures and memories of this excursion. By far one of my favorites! I just pulled out our photo book from this cruise and looked through it. Such fun pictures of my little girl with such incredible backdrops!

3 Platinum DCL Cruisers!
19 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

I'll echo the comments about Tropicante, we had a lovely, inexpensive trip there in January when our youngest had just turned 4 yrs. FYI, most taxis don't have seatbelts, so if you like to use car seats it can be a challenge. We managed to find suitable taxis but it did take a few minutes. The staff at Tropicante helped us find taxis with working seatbelts very quickly to return to port.
I wouldn't use the pool in port. We saw the same people sitting in the pool at the bar when we arrived, as well as when we left...yuck!
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
wickedpixie13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
I'll echo the comments about Tropicante, we had a lovely, inexpensive trip there in January when our youngest had just turned 4 yrs. FYI, most taxis don't have seatbelts, so if you like to use car seats it can be a challenge. We managed to find suitable taxis but it did take a few minutes. The staff at Tropicante helped us find taxis with working seatbelts very quickly to return to port.
I wouldn't use the pool in port. We saw the same people sitting in the pool at the bar when we arrived, as well as when we left...yuck!
Did you just bring along your carseat for the cab ride and keep it with you at Tropicante then? We're considering doing this, but we have a 1 yr old as well.

Previous DCL cruises
Wonder: Alaska May 2011
Magic: Galveston November 2012

RunDisney:
Tinkerbell Half Marathon 2014
wickedpixie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #21
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpixie13 View Post
Did you just bring along your carseat for the cab ride and keep it with you at Tropicante then? We're considering doing this, but we have a 1 yr old as well.
While I don't have experience with cabs in Costa Maya specifically, it is often difficult to find cabs in Mexico with working seat belts from past experiences.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpixie13 View Post
Yes we did. We had a booster and a car seat, I asked about storage when I initially emailed Steve and he kept them both inside the restaurant. I was really happy with how easy it was for him to do this for us.
It is true that finding seatbelts is tricky in Mexico, it took about 5 minutes at the taxi stand near the old Hard Rock to find them for our way there, but the Tropicante staff helped us find some quickly for the way back. This was in January, 2012. I used a lap belt to install the Britax Marathon, then gave the only 3 point seatbelt to DS1 who was in the booster. I didn't find top tethers, but you won't need one with your 1 yo rear facing.
I don't speak Spanish, but do speak French, as did our cab driver back to port. We had a very interesting conversation about how they cut seatbelts out of vehicles to accommodate more passengers, because most people don't request them. He was a strong believer in passenger safety, so we got along fine!
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
ILoveWD
Mouseketeer

Picture of Costa Maya Pool-Note the guy at the bar in the bikini..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle4 View Post
Anyone have any pictures of this pool area? Maybe we will just hang out onboard.
The guy in the red bikini danced on the bar and bar stools and drank the whole time we were there. We kept our kids near the shallow end. The kids had a great time and did not notice the guy.

It is a salt water pool with spray fountains.

We did enjoy being off the ship for a bit. We did not have any other issues at the pool other than the dancing guy who unfortunately ended up in all our pictures.

ILoveWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

I will echo the comments about the Chacchoben Ruins. Our kids (5 and 7) enjoyed it as did my wife and I. With your kids being so young, they probably won't get much out of it - but you will! The bus ride is about an hour each way but our guide passed around materials (including a coloring/activity book for the kids) and gave some background on the area and the Maya culture.

Costa Maya was devastated by hurricane a few years ago and Disney is the only cruise line that is docking there this time of year. The folks that live in the area really have little other source of revenue, so we thought it was nice to be able to get off the boat and spread a little tourism money around in that community.
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
vleeth
I heart Disney

All I can say about the guy in the red bikini is...wow.

Was there only one ship in port for this pic?
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
ILoveWD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
All I can say about the guy in the red bikini is...wow.

Was there only one ship in port for this pic?
We were the only ship in port that day. The cruise was in mid May.

About the guy..he was deinitely wild. I hoped he was local and not going back to the ship with us ! He was stiil at it when we left.
ILoveWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLEdge View Post
I will echo the comments about the Chacchoben Ruins. Our kids (5 and 7) enjoyed it as did my wife and I. With your kids being so young, they probably won't get much out of it - but you will! The bus ride is about an hour each way but our guide passed around materials (including a coloring/activity book for the kids) and gave some background on the area and the Maya culture.
Did you do this through DCL or on your own? We have two young girls and are booked to go thru Native Choice next month, and i was looking for feedback (they get excellent marks on TripAdvisor)
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
SG101
Mouseketeer

I wanted to do Tropicante (everyone claims super inexpensive and enjoyable) --- but hubby may just want to stay on the ship. It's fine by me since there's nothing much to see there.
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG101 View Post
I wanted to do Tropicante (everyone claims super inexpensive and enjoyable) --- but hubby may just want to stay on the ship. It's fine by me since there's nothing much to see there.
It is the best value of any beach resort that we have been to. Check out there web site for prices and see for your self you can not beat a $25 for 1 hour massage ( it was excellent) Highly recommend the beef tacos
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #30
wickedpixie13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
It is the best value of any beach resort that we have been to. Check out there web site for prices and see for your self you can not beat a $25 for 1 hour massage ( it was excellent) Highly recommend the beef tacos
I think we're going to end up doing Tropicante instead of the DCL Jungle Beach Break excursion. Either that or just stay on the ship.

Previous DCL cruises
Wonder: Alaska May 2011
Magic: Galveston November 2012

RunDisney:
Tinkerbell Half Marathon 2014
wickedpixie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: