Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
mollyrn9
Earning My Ears

Costa maya with young kids

Hi!
We're going on the Nov.3rd Magic cruise from Galveston and need ideas for Costa Maya port excursion. Our two little girls are 2 & 3 so we've been limited as to what we can book. We have beach days planned for the other 2 excursions and are wanting to change it up a bit if we can.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
mollyrn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Costa Maya has a really nice pool in the port that's just steps from the ship.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
lmb80129
Mouseketeer

We were in Costa Maya last week and have decided that next time we will just stay on the ship. I'd also suggest the pool area or staying on the ship for a family with young kids.
lmb80129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb80129 View Post
We were in Costa Maya last week and have decided that next time we will just stay on the ship. I'd also suggest the pool area or staying on the ship for a family with young kids.
What did you and your family do while in Costa Maya? Why did you not like about the port?
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
mollyrn9
Earning My Ears

Is Chocchaben Mayan Ruins a good idea?

My husband booked the Mayan ruins tour yesterday for us while we are in Costa Maya and we were both wondering if this is a good idea with our little girls (3 1/2 & 2 yrs)? We do not want to spend money on tours that are really better suited for older kids even though the ruins sounds kind of neat.

Also, I see some suggestions about a pool just a few steps from the ship - is that the Jungle Beach excursion? What exactly is that pool area?

Thanks for the help!

Molly
mollyrn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
sheesh2933
Earning My Ears

Costa Maya is really small and rual, there is not much to do. We just hung out at the salt water pool in the middle of the shopping and really enjoyed it. My daughter is 5 and loved it, she is a really good swimmer though.
sheesh2933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
lmb80129
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle4 View Post
What did you and your family do while in Costa Maya? Why did you not like about the port?
We booked the all inclusive resort called Nohoch Kay. It just wasn't that great. Lots of sea grass in the ocean and not a lot to see in the water. The service and food weren't very good. Our reservation warned us about taxis taking us to the wrong place and I worried the entire taxi ride where we would end up. The area right by the pier with the pool looked ok but basically just shopping with a pool and bars. Having done that port once, we won't bother again.
lmb80129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
asemaria
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyrn9
My husband booked the Mayan ruins tour yesterday for us while we are in Costa Maya and we were both wondering if this is a good idea with our little girls (3 1/2 & 2 yrs)? We do not want to spend money on tours that are really better suited for older kids even though the ruins sounds kind of neat.

Also, I see some suggestions about a pool just a few steps from the ship - is that the Jungle Beach excursion? What exactly is that pool area?

Thanks for the help!

Molly
We did the Mayan ruins and we liked it, but my DSs were 10 and 7. They liked it, but not very much. If they were younger, I would stay on the ship. The tour was much more for adaults.
The pool in the port among the shops looked ok, but the overall feeling made us decide to stay on the boat next time. The atmosphere and surroundings on the ship can't be beat.
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
asemaria
Mouseketeer

Oh, I forgot to mention: the bus took about an hour each way and there were nothing to look at on the way, just abandoned buildings and houses that looked like sheds. DSs were bored within 10 min, so if you go remember to bring some colouring books or similiar.
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyrn9 View Post

Thanks for the help!

Molly
At the port is a large open air mall/shopping area and the pool is in the middle of it, it's not part of the Jungle Beach excursion.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor

At the port is a large open air mall/shopping area and the pool is in the middle of it, it's not part of the Jungle Beach excursion.
Anyone have any pictures of this pool area? Maybe we will just hang out onboard.
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We just did a beach day, we went to Tropacanti, which is about a 5 minute taxi ride from the port in a small town, some other couples went to the beach also...I heard some others talking about the "ruins" and said that it was interesting but nothing to write home about...so I would guess kids wouldn't like it much unless they were just into that stuff...go for the beach is my tip! PS" Your on the boat enough..get off! Go check out the local town at least do a walking tour..there are things to see just takes some planning to see them!

We EXITED the port as soon as we could, we also did NOT take a taxi INSIDE the port, they are 1.00 more per person, walk about 50 yards into the "abandoned" old hard rock cafe area and there is a taxi stand, 2.00 per person and they are friendly and fast!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyrn9 View Post
Hi!
We're going on the Nov.3rd Magic cruise from Galveston and need ideas for Costa Maya port excursion. Our two little girls are 2 & 3 so we've been limited as to what we can book. We have beach days planned for the other 2 excursions and are wanting to change it up a bit if we can.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Molly - I am on the same cruise with my 2 year old. (Have you found our rollcall?) We are going to Tropicante for some beach time.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Molly - I am on the same cruise with my 2 year old. (Have you found our rollcall?) We are going to Tropicante for some beach time.
FYI ......the Tropicante is a great place to just go and hang out at a nice beach,free lounge chairs, great food at a reasonable $$ and check out the massage one hour for $25 ( it was awesome) Have to mention the owner Steve is a great host
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
FYI ......the Tropicante is a great place to just go and hang out at a nice beach,free lounge chairs, great food at a reasonable $$ and check out the massage one hour for $25 ( it was awesome) Have to mention the owner Steve is a great host
Looking forward to it! He was very prompt in returning my email a while back.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: