Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
val1234
Earning My Ears

Will the BC/YC be a letdown after my stay at GF

We had the awesome opportunity to stay at the GF this past Labor Day due to an extremely great rate we got thru a travel agency. Needless to say the Grand was wonderful, even with the construction going on. What set it apart for me though was the pampering and extreme niceness we got from all the CM there. The resort itself is just beautiful and we loved the nightly turn down service with the chocolates on the pillows and towel animals to boot! And you have to love the GF toiletries! My kids also loved the courtyard pool the deep end was wonderful, although I hear that is soon to be no more. Well anyway we have stayed at all the MK resorts, all the moderates, and AKL. We also rented points previously at OKW and BCV. I was less than enamored when we stayed at BCV. What I remember most about that trip was the endless walk thru hallways to the pool ,and nowhere to get a decent Mickey Waffle for breakfast . Well enough history we were just informed by our travel agent that they are running the same special again for Labor Day 2013!!! I am so excited and ready to book the GF again. But then of course the second thoughts kick in. The special also includes the BC/YC and part of the fun of Disney is trying a new resort every year. And to be fair my BCV stay was in 2004 so kids were too little to really remember it. I know they would love the pool there but will I miss my pampering and beautiful GF?
val1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

We stayed GF CL back in June and it was amazing!!

We stayed BC CL it was terrible! Dirty room, balcony, carpets just blech!!

Poly is wonderful also stayed there twice walking to TTC to grab the express monorail to EP is so easy!!!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
TJA
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at every deluxe resort except GF, but we've eaten there many times to be familiar with it. I'd say the YC will be closer to what you've experienced at GF. We've never experienced dirtiness at the BC and it is our favorite resort, but for comparison purposes, YC would probably be more like the GF than BC would. I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed in a stay there. My family likes to rotate our disney stays between the MK resorts and the Epcot resorts to get a different type of trip each time. We love the Epcot resort area and our kids, age 9, actually prefer it to the MK resort area.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

IMO the YC is closer to the GF than the BC. You might give the YC a try.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1234 View Post
We had the awesome opportunity to stay at the GF this past Labor Day due to an extremely great rate we got thru a travel agency. Needless to say the Grand was wonderful, even with the construction going on. What set it apart for me though was the pampering and extreme niceness we got from all the CM there. The resort itself is just beautiful and we loved the nightly turn down service with the chocolates on the pillows and towel animals to boot! And you have to love the GF toiletries! My kids also loved the courtyard pool the deep end was wonderful, although I hear that is soon to be no more. Well anyway we have stayed at all the MK resorts, all the moderates, and AKL. We also rented points previously at OKW and BCV. I was less than enamored when we stayed at BCV. What I remember most about that trip was the endless walk thru hallways to the pool ,and nowhere to get a decent Mickey Waffle for breakfast . Well enough history we were just informed by our travel agent that they are running the same special again for Labor Day 2013!!! I am so excited and ready to book the GF again. But then of course the second thoughts kick in. The special also includes the BC/YC and part of the fun of Disney is trying a new resort every year. And to be fair my BCV stay was in 2004 so kids were too little to really remember it. I know they would love the pool there but will I miss my pampering and beautiful GF?
Well, speaking for myself, can't say that I felt particularly pampered when we've stayed at the GF. Its not one of my favorite resorts. And I like BC better than YC.
BC is beautiful, just not as grand as GF One nice thing BC has going for it is you can walk around the lake and visit other resorts easily and you can walk to Epcot and and Disney Studios if you'd like. Quick service food is not near as good at BC as GF, but you can get a mickey waffle if you have a ressie for the character breakfast
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at all three - GF, YC and BC and BC/YC for me are all about location, location, location - I LOVE being able to walk to EP and take the boat to DHS. That being said, I typically prefer to do a split stay between an MK resort and an EP resort so I can split up my parks depending on where I am staying.

I would say, if you want a fantastic pool and a quick walk to EP - go for BC/YC. If you want amenities, go GF. OR split the stay! With all of the renovations going on at GF - zero-entry pool, new Alice in Wonderland water play area, GF sounds very tempting to me!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
val1234
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys for all the feedback, I'm thinking a split stay with GF and YC may be the way to go for the best of both worlds.
val1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We loved our Aug 2011 stay at BC, and this Aug planning on trying YC. I think it's fun trying new resorts.
Our BC stay was CL, and our room and balcony were spotless.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both the GF and BC and each will be a different experience, but I don't think you would be disappointed in the BC. We have our favorites, but we also like trying new resorts. I agree with the pp that the YC would probably be most like the GF and although we haven't stayed at the YC (we are trying it next summer), we had a great stay at the BC. With that said, I think your idea of doing a split stay between the GF and YC is a good one as you could still have a GF stay, but also try something new. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1234 View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback, I'm thinking a split stay with GF and YC may be the way to go for the best of both worlds.
That's what I'm doing in around 40 days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: