Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
married2mm
DIS Veteran

we stayed offsite initially, then discovered the joy of okw and ssr.

sadly we also can no longer afford these resorts, our flights have dramatically increased in price also, therefore booked a mod for this year and again for next year.

i notice our grocery bills whilst on vacation were more expensive this year compared to previous years
married2mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

I also when last time in 2009 so I know exactly what you mean. We got free dining in October if 2009 and s/p/d for January of 2013( which isn't as good of a deal as free dinning.) we are spending about 20% more for this vacation at same moderate resort. Well I love disney and still feel its worth it if it keeps going up at this rate I am worried this could be me last year

1986,1991,1996, 2009, jan 2013
mom of lil princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

Oh and FYI that is more then double the nations inflation rate over that time

Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Room discounts are a % off rack rate. So they keep increasing the rack rate, the more you are paying. The OP was talking about how much the rates have gone up. I think it's Disney's strategy to still give people the discounts they want but still taking in more money each year. They way they have restructured the seasons, the same room for the same week can now cost much more.
I think Disney's "strategy" is twofold:
Having room rates based on season/demand puts them in line with rest of the hotel industry; charging the actual night's room rate instead of the check-in night rate for the entire stay does the same.
Disney raises the rack rate every* year so they can continue operating the resorts as a profitable business despite rising costs.

*Value resort rates stayed the same for two or three years - at the $78 and $85 levels, I think?
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of lil princess View Post
Oh and FYI that is more then double the nations inflation rate over that time
If you're claiming every consumer good and service should only be allowed to increase in price in conjunction with inflation, you may want to restart that discussion on the Community Board.

If you mean only WDW resort rates should only rise at the inflation rate, well, that would mean poorly paid Cast Members, no renovations, minimal replacement of worn linens, maintenance cutbacks... These things cost. It's not reasonable to expect Disney to be paying the same for anything in 2013 as they were in 2009 - and it's even less reasonable to expect them to not pass on those costs to consumers.

This is true of ANY business.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Free Dining is not the only discount Disney offers. Room discounts come out fairly frequently too.

Don't forget too that while they cut a few things from the Dining Plan, they also added a mug to all plans. And I get more value out of the mug than I did having extra snack credits I had to try and use.
They cut the snack from the dinng plan that already had a mug with it...The regular dining plan just got a mug added to it and nothing taken away.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr
If you're claiming every consumer good and service should only be allowed to increase in price in conjunction with inflation, you may want to restart that discussion on the Community Board.

If you mean only WDW resort rates should only rise at the inflation rate, well, that would mean poorly paid Cast Members, no renovations, minimal replacement of worn linens, maintenance cutbacks... These things cost. It's not reasonable to expect Disney to be paying the same for anything in 2013 as they were in 2009 - and it's even less reasonable to expect them to not pass on those costs to consumers.

Ditto. I could go on for hours about the rising cost of business, especially in the last few years. You put it best.

Those like you and I who get it, do not need to hear it again. Those who do not get, I tire of trying to explain it, because they will never understand how a business who has to straddle the universe between consumers and stockholders.

By the by, I always delight in your posts.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

It has gotten very expensive! But I never pay rack rate for a room. Always go for a discount. The room only % off discounts are usually the best, unless you get an annual pass discount. Depending on how long you stay it can be worth it to purchase an AP. then you can get the TIW card for dining discounts.

Also consider the Swan And Dolphin resorts. They offer great discounts to teachers and nurses, and other types as well. They are in a great location and have good restaurants.

This summer we actually rented a house for our June trip. It was quite different from on site but a great vacation anyway. And this is saying a lot for devoted WDW fans who have stayed on site for approaching 30 trips!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Ditto. I could go on for hours about the rising cost of business, especially in the last few years. You put it best.

Those like you and I who get it, do not need to hear it again. Those who do not get, I tire of trying to explain it, because they will never understand how a business who has to straddle the universe between consumers and stockholders.

By the by, I always delight in your posts.
And I in yours .

Every time I post a response like this in a thread like this, I consider adding a disclaimer about not being a Disney apologist - as a preemptive move. But I know I'm referring to business in general and that this just happens to be a Disney-themed forum.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Also, don't forget the average fuel prices. This time in 2009, gas was $1/gallon cheaper. You need fuel for everything. You can't get anything anywhere without trucks or other vehicles. Think of all the maintenance vehicles at Disney resorts. You can't telecommute getting your supplies to a resort.

And that's just fuel. There's a domino effect in that once fuel goes up, everything goes up because you have to use trucks to get things to their final destination.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Yeah.. I see this thread at least once a year or so.. different actors but always the same storyline.

Everything - not just Disney - has gone up big time for this kid.

I personally beat it the best way I can.. I look to travel with a deal or an offer of some kind.

And that's the best I can do.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
And I in yours .

Every time I post a response like this in a thread like this, I consider adding a disclaimer about not being a Disney apologist - as a preemptive move. But I know I'm referring to business in general and that this just happens to be a Disney-themed forum.
Kaytie - I have to tell you, my first trips to Disney, I did not know what rack rate vis-a-vis discount and I paid 175% of double occupancy and still saw it as a great vacation for the price......

I have learned a great deal from this site and my own "savvy intuition" to plan the best vacation. But I am ever the optimist and have a great time wherever I go. This site has been invaluable, but one has to take our advice and evaluate it for their own vacation.

No two vacations are ever the some.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #28
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:

But u are missing the fact that back in 2009 cast members where getting paid... Renovations where taking place... Replacements were happening...now of course that all costs more now but that is what inflation allocates ... That is why u would expect an increase of 10 percent( being nice)... What is true of any business is to maximize profits... And as long as I am will to pay they have figured correctly

Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of lil princess View Post
But u are missing the fact that back in 2009 cast members where getting paid... Renovations where taking place... Replacements were happening...now of course that all costs more now but that is what inflation allocates ... That is why u would expect an increase of 10 percent( being nice)... What is true of any business is to maximize profits... And as long as I am will to pay they have figured correctly
Inflation is the difference between a dollar then and a dollar now. That's 7.9%. You're missing that most cost increases don't keep pace with inflation, they're in addition to the difference in the value of the dollar. Take linens, for example. There was a big(ger/much) than 7.9% increase in the cost of cotton in 2010, and possibly another surge coming. Nobody wants to sleep on holey or torn or marked sheets.

There's no valid reason WDW shouldn't raise its resort rates to both cover expenses and earn a profit for its shareholders.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Inflation is the difference between a dollar then and a dollar now. That's 7.9%. You're missing that most cost increases don't keep pace with inflation, they're in addition to the difference in the value of the dollar. Take linens, for example. There was a big(ger/much) than 7.9% increase in the cost of cotton in 2010, and possibly another surge coming. Nobody wants to sleep on holey or torn or marked sheets.

There's no valid reason WDW shouldn't raise its resort rates to both cover expenses and earn a profit for its shareholders.
Exactly. Anything made of cotton has gone up a crazy amount. And don't even start on how much food costs at WDW. The price of every kind of meat has gone way up! Not to mention corn and apples.

Nobody likes to pay more than they have to. But as much as I complain about the prices at WDW I keep in mind that I am very fortunate to be able to go at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: