Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
guynhawaii
Mouseketeer

Resort prices through the roof!

Aloha,

Pardon me if I'm late to the party. I last visited the WDW Boards about three years ago while planning my family's 2009 vacation to WDW. Anyway, after recently completing our DLR vacation, I have already started preliminary planning for 2014 WDW vacation by reviewing the DIS boards.

Anyway...are my eyes deceiving me, or have the WDW Resort and Food prices greatly increased the past few years? It appears to me the Resort prices (at least for the Deluxe and Moderates) have increased over 33% and the Food prices have almost doubled.

Wow. I'm currently suffering from sticker shock. Having to rethink alot of initial planning. We live in Hawaii so we can only visit WDW about every five years. It appears the best economical time to visit is also...shock...the worst time of the year weather wise (HOT and HUMID July).

Lastly, it appears the parks also open later than the use to. It appears for the summer the park generally open at 9 AM. Yikes. So basically a family has only four hours to enjoy the park before the crowds, heat and humidity becomes totally unbearable.

What a head scratcher!
guynhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Kimberle
WL Vet

Yes, the resort prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years. Food prices, too. I just booked our spring trip. In the past, I've always booked myself through Disney's on-line site. This year, I used a Dreams Unlimited Agent. She was able to save me 15% with a AAA rate.

Mousesavers.com has historical "sale" rates and promo's (such as Free Dining). It's a good place to get a feel for a good time to travel.

In the past, we've always vacationed in August. It's hot, but can be managable. There is one park open nearly every day for extra magic hours in the morning. Get up early, and be there at park opening. Stay until around 1 and head back to your resort for a swim and/or rest. We'd have dinner around 5-6, and head back to the parks. There are also lot's on indoor attractions to keep you out of the sun.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

We are vacationing Thanksgiving week and it is expensive!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynhawaii View Post

Lastly, it appears the parks also open later than the use to. It appears for the summer the park generally open at 9 AM. Yikes. So basically a family has only four hours to enjoy the park before the crowds, heat and humidity becomes totally unbearable.

What a head scratcher!
You can pretty much count on Disney extending park hours as the dates get closer. It seems to be the way they do things.

Also, I think a lot of the rate increases you are seeing are in part to Disney adding more peak periods to their calender. The best thing to do is to book whatever resort you can afford, and then maybe upgrade if a good discount comes out. I just peaked at the Beach Club, and their room rate for Jan 1 went up $25 a night. $15 a night for the next period. So not as large of an increase as 33%, but definitely noticeable.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I usually book Deluxe but the last two times I have booked a moderate. It just got too expensive for me to justify. And these $$$ rooms often look old!

Also you can get deals besides July. I would never go in the summer. Way too hot! I went end of June once and it was hot and humid at 8am.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

They're offering so many discounts now -- room or free dining, that you should be all right. Deluxe discounts often run 35%, so that should help.. Don't give up the fight yet..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

The most economical time to visit is in Value seasons, mid Aug - Sept, and January. There are charts with exact season dates on mousesavers.com
We go both mid to late Aug and Jan when rates are cheapest, and there are discounts out.
True, in Aug it's hot, but no hotter then Hawaii in Aug. We get to the parks at opening, then leave around 1 or 2ish to go back to resort for pool break, then go back to a park after dinner, usually one that has magic hours. Crowds are lower too because Florida and many other schools go back in session mid Aug.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
They're offering so many discounts now -- room or free dining, that you should be all right. Deluxe discounts often run 35%, so that should help.. Don't give up the fight yet..
The thing is they keep raising the room rates so free dining is costing more and more but people are content because they are still getting "free dining". Plus they cut back on the features.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
momof2cutegirls
DIS Veteran

Look into renting DVC points!
DD11

Planning for Marriott Grand Vista - November 30-December 7, 2014
Boardwalk Villas - one night only February 10, 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - November 24-December 1, 2012
Boardwalk Villas & Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - November-December 2010
Marriott Grand Vista - 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003
momof2cutegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Suziewan
Mouseketeer

I just did some price checking for myself and the third week of September was much less than any other week I tried. Best of luck in finding a time/resort to meet your family's needs!
Suziewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

As a resident of Hawaii, you should be no stranger to inflation and exorbitant price increases in this economy! But yes, Disney is by no means a cheap vacation. We went in September which is also value season, and has much lower crowds than July. Still very hot and humid, and also during hurricane season. You will see a brief torrential downpour every afternoon but that's mostly it - Orlando is rarely directly affected by hurricanes. It's also when most kids are back in school, which is why there are lower crowds. We found crowds and wait times to be quite tolerable, if you can handle the weather. Our way to combat the weather was take advantage of AM extra magic hours, rope drops, and then breaking for a few hours around lunch to hit the pool, and head back out at night. Worked well for us.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
disneygal2007
He's my Soldier and I am his Princess

But it is soooo worth it! The price goes up and we keep going. Disney is doing something right.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Tinaphpc
Earning My Ears

The most economical time to visit is in Value seasons, mid Aug - Sept, and January.

Tinaphpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
The thing is they keep raising the room rates so free dining is costing more and more but people are content because they are still getting "free dining". Plus they cut back on the features.
Free Dining is not the only discount Disney offers. Room discounts come out fairly frequently too.

Don't forget too that while they cut a few things from the Dining Plan, they also added a mug to all plans. And I get more value out of the mug than I did having extra snack credits I had to try and use.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Free Dining is not the only discount Disney offers. Room discounts come out fairly frequently too.

Don't forget too that while they cut a few things from the Dining Plan, they also added a mug to all plans. And I get more value out of the mug than I did having extra snack credits I had to try and use.
Room discounts are a % off rack rate. So they keep increasing the rack rate, the more you are paying. The OP was talking about how much the rates have gone up. I think it's Disney's strategy to still give people the discounts they want but still taking in more money each year. They way they have restructured the seasons, the same room for the same week can now cost much more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: