Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
erinmomof2
Mouseketeer

CBR or POFQ Please help us decide!

We'll be going to WDW in early December and as of now we're booked at CBR. I keep reading bad reviews about it though and it's starting to make me nervous. Also I am really worried about the size of the resort and the busses. We've stayed at POFQ before, but not in a while, and we liked the size of the resort and thought the bus service was great. I called and it is available for our dates. But now I don't know what to do. I like the theming of both resorts but I was excited to try something new. And I think the pool area at CBR seems a lot nicer, our kids (8 and 5) are excited to use the the CBR pool and water play area.

So can anyone give me some opinions? I need to make a decision soon and the more I think about it the more confused I get!! Thanks!
My blog: http://changingplates.blogspot.com/
A blog about changing to a whole foods diet.
erinmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
jcieutat
Mouseketeer

We have only stayed at two moderates, POFQ and CSR. While we liked CSR, it is just too large. Having to go from one bus stop to the next or walk a mile to the front was just too much with two little ones. After staying at POFQ, we have stayed 4 straight times with an upcoming trip there in a little over a month!!!!!!!! We really like the small size. Yes the pool is small but how much swimming are you going to do? If the pool is a big deal, CBR might be your place. Good luck!

35 trips and counting!!!
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

The only mod we have stayed at is CBR and we loved it . We thought the buses were great during our stay as we never encountered long waits or crowded buses, and since CBR is centrally located, it didn't long to get to any theme park, water park, or DTD. I think your kids would love the pool. Our boys were 7 & 9 when we stayed there and they thought the pool was great, and it has been redone since then and the pics look awesome. We actually liked the size of CBR, but we also don't mind the larger resorts. If it were me, I'd stick with CBR and try something new .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
mmeb144

My husband KNOWS I'm a Disney Maniac
MM is the coolest!

CBR is a very nice resort. My family stayed there when we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. I wanted to stay at POFQ, but got outvoted. It worked out great! We enjoyed the pool. The buses came frequently enough. We got an awesome room location.

I've stayed at both, several times. In fact, CBR is still in the running for our next trip because of the pool refurb a few years back. We have stayed at POFQ more often because we like the size of the resort and the access to Downtown Disney. If you plan a lot of resort time during your stay, CBR will be a lot of fun. There is more to do at the resort itself.

Stay at CBR and enjoy the change of pace.

Mar '87 Offsite, Mar '89 Contemporary, Sept '91 CBR, Mar '92 Dolphin, Sept '97 Polynesian, Dec '00 CBR, May '03 CBR, Jan '04 WL, Oct '04 POFQ, Feb '05 WL, Dec '05 Contemporary, Feb '07 POFQ, Dec '07 CBR, June '08 Disneyland, Nov '08 Buena Vista Suites, Dec '09 CSR, Dec '10 POFQ, June '12 POFQ, Dec '13 Caribe Royale/POFQ, May '14 ASMusic
mmeb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I like them both.

CBR pools are probably better for kids. It also has a better food court. Downside is its a big resort so you could end up being further away from the main building.
It also has a nice beach around the lake.

POFQ is much smaller. A big plus for me is boat to DTD. Otherwise you are taking buses from either option.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

I would say try something new stay at CBR! I live it there and I think your kids will too! The walking is not that bad! It is a gorgeous resort
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

The pool at CBR is nicer, but anything in the resort can require a hike to get to the main building (Custom house?). When we stayed at CBR, we had to walk down a long path, across a bridge, and down another path to get to the building with the restaurant. Also, the bus makes many stops in CBR before it leaves the property.

If you liked the size of POFQ, CBR is not for you. It is a very large resort. I have stayed at both resorts, and prefer POFQ by far.

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite
Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I have stayed in both resorts and while I like CBR I would choose POFQ any time! My DD would never stay in CBR again simply because of the size.

I think you need to determine what you are looking for in a resort and then you can easily determine which one is best for you. I must say that while CBR was very pretty I found it necessary to pay for preferred buildings and it was still very large. I loved POFQ.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Eastern
DIS Veteran

My family loved POFQ. We have also stayed at POR and CBR and we all liked POFQ best. Good buses, good (although small) food court (bigger one at POR) and nice rooms.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
ocean702
Mouseketeer

we've stayed at both and for us we prefer CBR. we feel it has a more "vacation" feel to it, probably because of the beach theme. you really can't go wrong with either though as they are both nice. biggest difference being the size. found bus service to be about the same at both resorts... most of the time the wait was quick but on each vacation there's at least one time that we waited a long time. felt like there were more options at the food court at CBR than at POFQ and definitely more seating, especially on the cold Dec mornings!
ocean702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Keep in mind that in December, the weather can be questionable so I wouldn't let the pool be a deciding factor for you. Personally, I would choose POFQ solely because it has been more recently refurbished and has queen beds while CBR still has doubles. Also, what dates will you be there? Pop Warner football championships are the first week of December and they will be staying at CBR and CSR (and the All Stars), and they are a nightmare of a group.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
erinmomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Keep in mind that in December, the weather can be questionable so I wouldn't let the pool be a deciding factor for you. Personally, I would choose POFQ solely because it has been more recently refurbished and has queen beds while CBR still has doubles. Also, what dates will you be there? Pop Warner football championships are the first week of December and they will be staying at CBR and CSR (and the All Stars), and they are a nightmare of a group.
I didn't know about Pop Warner. We will be checking in on the 10th, so I don't know if that group would be gone by then or not.

I'm really torn about this. I LOVED POFQ but I've always said I would like to try as many as the resorts as I can. I like the idea of trying somewhere new but I'm also worried about the size. We usually have our car with us but we're flying this time.
My blog: http://changingplates.blogspot.com/
A blog about changing to a whole foods diet.
erinmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmomof2 View Post
I didn't know about Pop Warner. We will be checking in on the 10th, so I don't know if that group would be gone by then or not.

I'm really torn about this. I LOVED POFQ but I've always said I would like to try as many as the resorts as I can. I like the idea of trying somewhere new but I'm also worried about the size. We usually have our car with us but we're flying this time.
We've been at POFQ both before and post reno, and I can tell you, they did a fantastic job. The addition of queen beds made a big difference. POFQ is our fav resort on property. If things hadn't happened the way they did in Aug when we had to reschedule at the last minute until Nov, we would have been staying at POFQ again, but no Mods were avail, and we decided to reward ourselves for having to wait additional time, and splurge to stay at WL.

I suspect in subsequent trips though, we'll be staying at POFQ. The small size and pool are factors for us, our kids just love the resort, and know their way around. It feels like "home" for us, I'm sure the fact that we honeymooned in New Orleans plays no small part in our affinity...can't wait to return to POFQ in 2013!

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Winue
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at both and prefer POFQ by far. Bigger beds, smaller resort, being able to use pools at POR, DD boat, etc etc... Would not even be a choice for us.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmomof2 View Post

Pop Warner is there the first week of December. Should be arriving 12/1, with most (if not all) of them gone on or by 12/8. So don't let that be a factor in your decision, if you're checking on 12/10.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: