Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Day Two (Magic Kingdom)

Day Two (Magic Kingdom):

So we went to bed pretty late on Sunday night and had to set the alarm to get up Monday for our breakfast at Kona. I tried not to schedule ADRs too early after a late night. So, I scheduled Kona at 9 which didn't seem early for my family. Well, when you factor in travel time and 5 people getting ready in 1 bathroom, 9 is early after closing down the park at midnight the night before!

I think we caught the bus around 8:30. We were running later than I would have liked. We had good luck with bus service all week though. We arrived at MK and took the monorail to the Poly. I LOVE the Poly. We have never stayed there but I just love the feel of the place. Someday....

We were a few minutes late (maybe 10?) but they didn't turn us away thankfully. We saw them turn away several walkups so I felt lucky they were still going to seat us. Everyone was hungry at this point and getting pretty grouchy! The mezzanine area of the Poly is crazy busy in the morning and there isn't really much room to stand around and wait for your table.

After about 15 minutes, we were seated and immediately greeted by our waiter who offered to bring us some drinks - YES, coffee please, immediately Dh and I decided to order the press pot of Kona coffee. The waiter tried to talk us out of it and said the regular coffee was really good too and we could have free refills. We hemmed and hawed for a minute but decided that we were there and really wanted to try the press pot:

The coffee was great! I am not sure it was the best coffee I have ever had (although DH might disagree) but it was really good. We had plenty considering we both had a cup of coffee before we left the resort that morning.

The kids had the Lilikoi juice (orange, passion fruit, guava blend) and the waiter brought dd13 orange juice as well in case she didn't like it (but she did).

It was time to order and here we go with DD8! She didn't like being forced to order off the kids' menu. This is a constant battle we have at home. DD13 has pretty much outgrown kids' menus and is usually too old anyway. DS thinks he is too old and doesn't usually like to order off the kids' menu at home. We indulge him sometimes when we know he will eat the adult portion but many times, the kids' portion is plenty for him and I am not paying for him to order off the adult menu just for appearances. FYI - it's all about the cup with the lid She ended up ordering Donald's choice which was a scrambled egg with cinnamon toast and bacon.

DD13 and I had already decided we were splitting macademia pineapple pancakes. I had read numerous reviews that said this is too much for one person so we knew we didn't need two orders of them. We had both been drooling over these for several weeks leading up to our trip.

Dh and DS both wanted a Big Kahuna - not to share LOL - one of each of them. As I said before, DS is a huge breakfast eater and everyone was starving by this point so I told them to both order it. I knew we would end up sharing a few things because DD8 wanted some French toast and DD13 wanted some eggs.

Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes - Served with Macadamia nut butter, pineapple sauce, and your choice of ham, bacon or sausage. - $9.99

These were good. The pineapple sauce was really good. I have to say though, I was disappointed. Quite frankly, there were just too many macadamia nuts. I couldn't even finish my half of them. DD thought the same thing. The nuts made them seem heavy. I would have preferred regular pancakes with the sauce and butter. Actually, I would have preferred something savory but that is my own fault . DD even felt slightly ill after breakfast because they were so heavy. I'm glad I tried them but I wouldn't get them again. The bacon was great however.

Big Kahuna - French Toast, pancakes, eggs your way, home fried potatoes, ham, bacon, and sausage. - $11.99

DS and DH both ordered one of these and both choose over easy eggs. You can't see the ham or bacon in the picture but it was there. They loved this. They both shared pieces of it with the rest of us. I tried the potatoes and they were fantastic - crispy, not at all greasy and perfectly seasoned. They didn't even need ketchup. DS said Nana makes better ham but both he and DH said the sausage was really good.

Donald's Choice - One egg, quacked and scrambled, with sweet cinnamon toast. Choice of bacon, fruit cup or sausage. Beverage not included. - $6.09

DD8 was happy with her choice especially since daddy shared his French toast. She shared her eggs with big sister.

We finished most of what we ordered. When we got the check, dh and I debated whether we wanted to use 3 TS and 1 child TS for this meal. I can't seem to put my hands on that receipt for some reason but I think it was only around $57 for our breakfast. After consulting with our waiter, we decided to pay OOP and save our credits to use later.

The overall verdict was that breakfast was good. DD13 and I were the only ones who would pick something different. We will probably go back to Kona but might try and do dinner next time.

Now - let's get to that castle :wizard

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Yum......
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Big Kahuna I could eat that breakfast any time of day.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Roma
Mouseketeer

My DH and I are staying in a Garden View room at the BC next month and can't wait! Your pictures look great - you have such a cute family!

I've read a couple reviews where people who have been defeated by the nut pancakes in the past have just adored plain pancakes with the butter/pineapple. That seems to go over much better.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
goofy78
…sea monkey has my money… …yes, I'm a natural blue…

We will be returning to Kona for breakfast and lunch next year. I too want to try those macadamia nut pancakes. We stayed at the Poly last year and it was great although we won't be running back. Here we come BC!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
sushi candy
Foodie

Too bad the pancakes were too chunky with macadamia nuts, Lacey. I was thinking of ordering it too but I seem to come across the "too much nuts" comments in The pancake reviews.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
Yum......
I know. I shouldn't read dining reviews. Even when I'm not hungry they make me hungry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
Big Kahuna I could eat that breakfast any time of day.
They loved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
My DH and I are staying in a Garden View room at the BC next month and can't wait! Your pictures look great - you have such a cute family!

I've read a couple reviews where people who have been defeated by the nut pancakes in the past have just adored plain pancakes with the butter/pineapple. That seems to go over much better.
Ah, thank you! You and DH will love BC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy78 View Post
We will be returning to Kona for breakfast and lunch next year. I too want to try those macadamia nut pancakes. We stayed at the Poly last year and it was great although we won't be running back. Here we come BC!
I want to stay at the Poly. Actually, I would love to try them all someday! My kids have now stated, BC only though - OOPS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
Too bad the pancakes were too chunky with macadamia nuts, Lacey. I was thinking of ordering it too but I seem to come across the "too much nuts" comments in The pancake reviews.
I like macadamia nuts but I totally underestimated how many would be in those pancakes. The nuts make the pancakes feel really heavy. They taste good, don't get me wrong. But honestly, one plate full for the whole table to have a couple bites each would be better.

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Day 2 continued

Day Two Continued....

So we finally made it to MK. It was hot out already but we were excited to walk down Main Street for the first time this trip. There is just something special about walking toward that castle!

We always go left when we enter MK. But today, the kids wanted to get fast passes for Space Mountain before we did anything else. So we headed right. Of course we stopped for a few pictures along the way. I can't post any of those because I haven't ordered my cd yet but I will try and get some added later.

The park wasn't too crowded. We picked up fast passes for SM and decided to jump in the standby line.

Then we hit Buzz and then back to SM to use our FPs. I know this is a dining review but I can't resist throwing in some other park info

After our second SM ride, everyone was thirsty so we hit up one of the stands for some ice water. Dh spotted Mickey pretzels and decided we had to have one of those too! It was yummy but sorry no pics! Anyone know why the pretzels taste better when they are shaped like Mickey

We headed into the new Fantasyland hoping to ride Dumbo but the line was too long. We did walk through the circus tent souvenier shop and looked around a bit. I love the way the snacks are set up. All of the baked goods are in glass display cases - chocolate covered fruit, character shaped apples, cupcakes, etc. It looks beautiful. We weren't hungry yet so we didn't get anything. We then did a quick ride on the tea cups and weathered a storm before heading over to Peter Pan.

After Peter Pan, we were starting to think about lunch. I had a 2:30 ADR for LTT but everyone had decided before the trip that they probably wanted counter service instead. However, given that I had a very sweet breakfast, I was ready for something a little more. Plus, we had never been to LTT and I wanted to try it. We were planning to head back to the resort after lunch to swim for a while and we didn't have dinner ADRs so I knew it would be QS for dinner. DH always let's me make the call on where to eat so we did some arm twisting of the kids and said, we were going to keep our ADR. We had just enough time for a ride on BTMRR and then checked in for our lunch.

LTT was really backed up! They were at least 30 minutes behind schedule. But there is a nice covered front porch outside on which to wait. Dh and dd13 stayed inside to listen for our name while I went outside with the younger two. As a side note, when you check in, they take your name and state. So when your table is ready, they say "Smith party from the Colony of Virginia, your table is now ready." I thought this was adorable and just another way Disney does such an awesome job with theming!

Once we were seated, our waitress came over and took drink orders. I think the kids had water and dh and I had diet cokes. DS asked me if I would split the pot roast with him. DD8 of course didn't want to order of the kids' menu But DD13 wanted to split the Bacon Cheeseburger with her so that's what they ordered. Dh ordered the Pilgrim's Feast.

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger - topped with Bacon and Cheddar or Mushrooms and Provolone served with fresh Fruit or Tavern Fries - $13.99 (split by dds)

The girls said this was a good burger. They cleaned their plates so I guess they liked it. I didn't try it because well, it was a burger and fries LOL.

Pilgrim's Feast - Traditional roast turkey and herb bread dressing, mashed potatoes and a garden vegetable. - $15.99

This was Dh's meal. But he let me taste it! Let me just say, I would have NEVER booked LTT for dinner given that it is served family style and you can't pick what you order. However, after trying this, I might have changed my mind. This was GOOD. The turkey was juicy and flavorful. It definitely was cooked with some herbs. The gravy was seasoned well and added great flavor to the stuffing. The stuffing wasn't anything special but it was good especially with the gravy. I loved the green beans. They were crisp and garlicky!

New England Pot Roast...Tavern Keeper's Favorite - Braised beef in a Cabernet wine and mushroom sauce served with mashed potatoes and garden vegetables. - $17.99

Ok, so I raved about the turkey and now I have to rave about the pot roast. YUMMMM. The meat was tender and not fatty. The gravy/sauce was delicious with just a hint of wine flavor. The mashed potatoes were creamy and the perfect accompaniment to the roast. The veggies were good too but I would have liked more mushrooms. I would most definitely order this again.

We had plenty of food using 3 adult credits between the five of us. Especially considering we still had 3 desserts coming. So on to dessert. DD13 really wanted:

Martha Washington's Cake - a slice of rich chocolate cake, layered with a liberating chocolate coffee icing $7.99

DD loved this. Dh helped her eat it. I am pretty sure that is whipped cream and not ice cream on the side. I tasted this and it was good. It was very chocolatey and I couldn't taste coffee in the icing. But quite frankly, I was barely paying attention because my focus was on this:

Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake - vanilla cake with a gooey toffee filling, vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce $7.49

We ordered two of these. And its a good thing we did....Everything you have read about the deliciousness of this dessert here on the DIS is true. Holy cow this was good! Warm cake that reminded me of the texture of a cookie bar - you know that toll house recipe that you spread into a jelly roll pan instead of spoon into individual cookies? But it was soft like it came out of the oven just before it was done all of the way. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't doughy or underdone. Just that perfect texture that I think you only get when a cookie first comes out of the oven. Then it is topped with ice cream and caramel and chocolate sauce and toffee. Oh my. This was GREAT! Dh ate half of mine and when I looked up, my two youngest were practically licking the plate. It was hysterical.

This was a great meal and such a pleasant surprise for us. We will definitely be back.

Total cost of this meal was $82.89 or 3 Adult TS credits (not including tip).

So now that are bellies were full, it was time for a swim (or nap lol) back at the resort. We made our way back to BC and hit the pool. I grabbed my ipad and dh grabbed both of us a drink from the pool bar. I told him to surprise me and he brings back a strawberry daiquiri. I said thank you but was thinking - Hmm - that's odd? When have you ever known me to order one of these? It seems the menu must be pretty limited at the pool bar. I told him I wanted something "vacationy" (is that a word??). The daiquiri was fine but I found out they had pina coladas so that was my next drink. Yes, I had two while I was sitting there watching the kids play Again, the pina colada was fine but nothing to write home about. Of course, if you factor in the atmosphere, it was a 10!

After we spent a good portion of the evening at BC, we decided to head back to MK to grab a quick dinner and then watch the fireworks and parade. I was still full from lunch and I probably waited to long to get everyone else to dinner because dh was getting grouchy OOPS (it was almost 9:00). We got to MK and headed over to Cosmic Ray's. DS wanted to hit SM first but dinner was a must. Things were starting to close and when we got into Cosmic Rays, only the burger station was open. DD8 was having some sort of allergy attack (I think from the hours she spent in the pool) so she was also cranky.

As you have probably noticed, we split most everything and rarely ever order 5 full meals. The girls didn't want burgers since they had that for lunch so I order two hot dog meals for them and two burger meals for the guys. I had planned to eat half of dd8's hot dog since I didn't think she would finish it. I don't have any pics of this meal. But we had entirely too many french fries and not enough entrees. Live and learn - I should have gone for 5 meals here. The fries were hot and fresh and were good though, especially with the cheese sauce. The hot dog and burger were fine but nothing special. For dessert we had mango and chocolate gelato. This was barely touched by any of us.

Total cost for this meal was $63.78 or 4 Adult QS credits.

We caught part of the fireworks and scoped out a spot for the parade. I took dd8 in search of some benedryl (ended up at first aid for it). We then watched the parade and decided to head back. We probably should have skipped coming back to MK this night. Everyone was worn out. I love MSEP and wanted to see it but honestly, it was lackluster only because I had a tired girl on my hands. We did make a quick stop into Main Street Bakery to grab breakfast for the morning before boarding our bus back to the resort.

Stay tuned for Day 3 (EPCOT)

Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

LTT looks really good in your review! Based on all the feedback for it, I have to try that ooey gooey toffee cake eventually.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
jabead
DIS Veteran

I must admit that I am not a fan of the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. But in my defense, the one time that I tried it, it was stone cold. So needless to say, it was neither ooey nor gooey. Kind of reminds me of Linda and her cold fried cream cheese wontons at Yak & Yeti. Anyway, seeing all the delicious looking pics of this dessert that I've been sent for the live thread (including yours, Lacey) makes me think that it is about time to give it another try. Hopefully the second time around it will be served straight out of the oven rather than the refrigerator.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
LTT looks really good in your review! Based on all the feedback for it, I have to try that ooey gooey toffee cake eventually.
The food they serve at LTT is totally not my style. If you showed me the menu combined with menus for all the other deliciousness in WDW, comfort food is not what I would pick (I feel the same way about 50s Prime Time). But I knew the rest of my family would appreciate the menu. But I was off base. This totally hit the spot. I loved the theming of the restaurant and the food was great. Our service was just ok (I hate when my glass doesn't get refilled without me asking). But, it was crowded so I forgave her; she was nice enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
I must admit that I am not a fan of the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. But in my defense, the one time that I tried it, it was stone cold. So needless to say, it was neither ooey nor gooey. Kind of reminds me of Linda and her cold fried cream cheese wontons at Yak & Yeti. Anyway, seeing all the delicious looking pics of this dessert that I've been sent for the live thread (including yours, Lacey) makes me think that it is about time to give it another try. Hopefully the second time around it will be served straight out of the oven rather than the refrigerator.
I think you just got a bad one! You are going to have to try again.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Checking in and subscribing to our lovely Lacey's review. Yay! And double-yays for gorgeous family pics! And yummy food pics! (And for the BC, but I don't wanna seem partial or anything. )

I'm so with ya on really sweet, dense things for breakfast. But there I go, always ordering sweet and dense things for breakfast... and always regretting it later. Glutton for punishment. I've managed to stay away from the Tonga Toast though - sweet, heavy and fried are the trifecta for for me.

Still regretting I cancelled LTT.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

I am here also! Loving the review and the family portrait I think I could just skip dinner tonight and just have a piece of that Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. YUMMMY!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Glad you loved LTT. It's one of my favorite lunch places at MK.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #30
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I am here finally! I love that picture of the pirate family! And I love hearing about some restaurants we have not tried yet!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: