Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #16
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Day 4 - Cont.

After the snorkel cruise, we headed to a local beach to bide our time before our parasailing adventure at 3pm. We ended up at a beach that my fiance's mother, also on this trip with us, grew up going to as a child, Ala Moana Beach Park.

For our parasailing trip we had my mom KB, sister LB, and myself in one group and my fiance KM and her 14yr daughter DM in another group. We also had my aunt PS and my fiance's brother DM as observers on the boat. We ended up going 800ft up with a dunk in the water at the end of the ride. Loads of fun and highly recommended for thrill seekers.

JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Day 4 End

Turns out our room (787 Ewa Tower) has a great view of the Starlit Hui location. We watched the pre-show from the balcony then went down to partake in the fun. Pics of the show will post tomorrow!

Day 5 Plans

Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial
Waimea Beach and Cliff diving
Aulani Trick-or-Treat
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting your photos!

Which marina did you go to for your snorkeling trip? I regret we never did any boat excursions while we were at Aulani. However, we took two helicopter excursions on Kauai and the Big Island, so I'm not complaining.

Glad to read you can see the Starlit Hui show from your balcony. I really think those Island View villas that are numbered xx71 to xx87 will become extremely popular with Aulani guests.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #19
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
Thanks for posting your photos!

Which marina did you go to for your snorkeling trip? I regret we never did any boat excursions while we were at Aulani. However, we took two helicopter excursions on Kauai and the Big Island, so I'm not complaining.

Glad to read you can see the Starlit Hui show from your balcony. I really think those Island View villas that are numbered xx71 to xx87 will become extremely popular with Aulani guests.
The snorkel cruise was out of the Ala Moana marina, they are called Island Magic Catamaran. We used a Groupon in April and they honored the Groupon price of $32 for adults and $20 for kids.

The room also has a great view of the Ohana Movie nights as well....
Old 10-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Day 4 Final

Starlit Hui pics from balcony

View from ground level

Old 10-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #21
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Day 5 report

Day 5 plans were changed a bit as the group got to Pearl Harbor a bit later than planned and the wait to ride the ferry to the Arizona Memorial was 2 hours. We decided to push back the Arizona Memorial for Thursday hopefully. We did walk around for a few minutes taking pics of the exhibits.

After that we met up with other roomies for a trip back to north shore to visit Waimea Beach and do a rock jump of about 30ft.

We made a point of leaving the beach in time to get back for the Trick or Treat event they had scheduled from 4-5pm. Little LW loved wearing her Thor Girl costume and getting some candy from the CMs.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #22
RSHale
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLouisB View Post
We made a point of leaving the beach in time to get back for the Trick or Treat event they had scheduled from 4-5pm. Little LW loved wearing her Thor Girl costume and getting some candy from the CMs.
That's awesome! I'm at Aulani right now and saw your little girl last night from a distance when you were walking inside. I e-mailed a friend back home and said "I swear I saw a little girl trick or treating with a Thor hammer." I wanted to get a better look but didn't want to freak out your family by chasing your kid. I caught up on your trip report last night but didn't realize it was your daughter. It's a great costume.

Last edited by RSHale; 10-25-2012 at 03:57 AM.
RSHale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHale View Post
That's awesome! I'm at Aulani right now and saw your little girl last night from a distance when you were walking inside. I e-mailed a friend back home and said "I swear I saw a little girl trick or treating with a Thor hammer." I wanted to get a better look but didn't want to freak out your family by chasing your kid. I caught up on your trip report last night but didn't realize it was your daughter. It's a great costume.
Aww, we did get a lot of comments on her costume. She wears costumes at home a lot, even when it's not Halloween season lol. Hope your trip is a good one! This place is great!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #24
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Day 6 Report

Day 6 was quite eventful. We started the day at Auntie's for the Open House again. LW did some arts and crafts again and put on the Tinker Bell costume this time.

Afterwards we rented a couple of stand up paddle boards. Most everyone tried it once and a few people got up and a few people fell, including my fiance, who ended up falling and breaking her ankle in 3 spots. OUCH!

Aulani life guards and first responders were very comforting and made every effort to get EMS there as quick as possible. They ended up refunding the paddle board rentals and sent a care package and get well letter to the room later that night. My fiance will need surgery when she gets home.

On a brighter note, here's my "arm rainbow" as LW calls it after 6 days...

Day 7 - Wheelchair friendly activities

Menehune Trail Adventure
Watching LW swim
Pau Hana Community room
Lounge for checked out guests

Detailed report and pics to come!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #25
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Sorry to hear about te ankle...

but it could lead to a cool story....like it happened fighting off a shark or helping 5-0 chase down some bad guys
How much was it to rent the stand up paddle board?
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Paddle board rentals are $30 per hour. No more length of stay option. DVC members do get a 10% discount.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
wdrl
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about your fiancee's broken ankle!! Hopefully the pain is manageable and she can still get some rest and relaxation.

We saved all 8 wristbands we got during our visit. A CM said Aulani has 13 different colors, plus one color that has been retired.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Joining in. We were at Aulani the week after Labor Day (TR link below). Looking forward to your TR and relive the fantastic time we had!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

So sorry about the ankle! Ouch! Count me in as another enjoying re- visiting Aulani through your TR.... Loved that cliff jumping! We did that in the Caribbean last summer, the kids and my DH loved it- i stayed on the boat and watched, lol-
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears

Day 7

Day 7 plans - Headed Home

Our flights home were at 10:20PM so we had a chance to use the Luana Lounge to store some stuff (got there early to get lockers) and "lounge" about before heading towards the airport.

Little LW and myself spent another 3 hours using the pools and slides while the fiance did the indoor Menehune Adventure trail (approx 20 min) and lounged by the pool and spa from her wheelchair.

We headed towards the airport around 7 and stopped off at Byron's Drive In for dinner and dessert (Deep Fried Oreos). Hawaiian Air was very accommodating for the fiance and her wheelchair, moving us up to the 12th row from the 36th. The flight went very easy (everyone slept) and from there we ended up back home in time for the orthopedic surgeon's appointment at 9:30am.

Overall everyone had a great time and we've already reserved a few days at Aulani for next April prior to our Honeymoon on the Big Island. Can't wait to bring the whole family back.

PS this weekend we head to VGC for a weekend celebration of my mom KB and my fiance's older daughter DM birthdays. We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa. I'll be sure to post pics when we get there. Thanks to everyone who followed our adventure!

JLB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: