Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Aulani 10/19-10/25 Day 1

Quick report for everyone... Today was a long travel day but ended with the group using the slides and lazy river (slides are awesome, 4yr old LW handled them like the tough lil girl she is). Construction isn't very noticeable, I'll post some pics of what i saw. We ended up in room 787 in the Ewa tower which turns out is an ocean view! Even though its billed as an island view! Pics to come!

JB

Last edited by JonLouisB; 10-20-2012 at 03:44 AM.
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Here's our view for the week! Room 787 in Ewa Tower, supposed to be an Island Garden view!



Some abstract Hidden Mickeys in the hallway going to the rooms...




Some construction near the lagoon. From the water facing back towards the hotel....




The view from the lagoon, we spent about 30 min in the water before trying out the slides and lazy river....


Last edited by JonLouisB; 10-20-2012 at 03:50 AM.
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Day - 2

My fiance KM and myself took 4yr old LW to check out Auntie's Beach House at 830am for their open house. LW loved the costumes right away and changed into a Snow White dress, later adding some Tinkerbell wings for the dual princess effect. They have the whole house decorating in Halloween decor, LW loved the arts and crafts they had, using some rubber stamps and stencils to make some souvenirs for her grandma. The place is state-of-the-art and if she were a bit older she'd be able to appreciate what they have, maybe next year.

After that we hit the pools again for a few hours, seeing the pool party right as we were done for the day to prepare for our luau at Paradise Cove later tonight. Pics to come!
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 23,334

Awesome pictures! I can't wait to see more! Thanks for posting!
__________________
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
WestCoastMama
Mouseketeer
 
WestCoastMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 303

Thanks for the update and pics! We arrive tmw afternoon. So excited! Just saw a thread about Halloween at Aulani. Seems they are doing Halloween activities including trick-or-treating around the resort starting this coming week. My kids will flip!
__________________
me DH DD (8) DS (6)

Aulani Resort 10/2012
Disneyland Hotel 12/2011
Wonder Mexican Riviera 10/2011
WDW Port Orleans December 2010
Disneyland Resort Countless Times
WDW Caribbean Resort August 1992
WestCoastMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Day 3 - North Shore trip itinerary

Waimea Valley and Waterfall
Waimea Beach and cliff jumping
Haleiwa Town for Big Wave Shrimp Truck
Dole Plantation on the way back to Aulani

Pics and detailed report to come!
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,696

Following your trip report!

Are you planning on taking the tour of the Grand Villa on the 10th floor? If you do, then you should get a bird's eye view of the construction that is going on around the Wailana Pool.
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLouisB View Post
Day - 2

My fiance KM and myself took 4yr old LW to check out Auntie's Beach House at 830am for their open house. LW loved the costumes right away and changed into a Snow White dress, later adding some Tinkerbell wings for the dual princess effect. They have the whole house decorating in Halloween decor, LW loved the arts and crafts they had, using some rubber stamps and stencils to make some souvenirs for her grandma. The place is state-of-the-art and if she were a bit older she'd be able to appreciate what they have, maybe next year.

After that we hit the pools again for a few hours, seeing the pool party right as we were done for the day to prepare for our luau at Paradise Cove later tonight. Pics to come!
So, are you saying your 4 year old won't stay at Auntie's to play? I'm hoping my DS (4 1/2) will want to stay and play!

How did you like the luau?

And how "intrusive" do you find the construction to be?

Can't wait to hear more!
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT91403 View Post
So, are you saying your 4 year old won't stay at Auntie's to play? I'm hoping my DS (4 1/2) will want to stay and play!

How did you like the luau?

And how "intrusive" do you find the construction to be?

Can't wait to hear more!
She just turned 4 in July and isn't quite comfortable being on her own in a new place just yet. Between 8-10am they have open house where parents can play with their kids but after 10 they kick out the parents, leaving the kids in the care of Auntie's staff. Our LW has always been cared for by family so she is a bit hesitant with the idea of being left alone.

As far as the construction, I really haven't noticed it at all. There are a few areas that are sectioned off, but in true Disney fashion, they hide it well and herd foot traffic around the affected areas. All of the amenities we came for are available so it's not like we are missing out on anything....
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
Following your trip report!

Are you planning on taking the tour of the Grand Villa on the 10th floor? If you do, then you should get a bird's eye view of the construction that is going on around the Wailana Pool.
We did kick around the idea of doing a tour. If we do, I'll be sure to take pics....
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLouisB View Post
Day 3 - North Shore trip itinerary

Waimea Valley and Waterfall
Waimea Beach and cliff jumping
Haleiwa Town for Big Wave Shrimp Truck
Dole Plantation on the way back to Aulani

Pics and detailed report to come!
Waimea Valley and Waterfall were a blast, the waterfall is about 30-40ft tall and it's an easy swim across a small freshwater pond to get your head wet under the falls.





We ended up rescheduling the cliff diving for Tues as our timing was off and we had to get back earlier than we thought. We did stop off at the Dole Plantation to take in the Maze (finished in 31 minutes), the Koi pond and some Dole Whip.

Back at the Aulani by 6pm, we ended up back in the lazy river and took in some slides at night (more fun at night!) before heading up to the room for a home-cooked meal (we bought groceries the day of arrival). Our two teens AM and DM took in the Teen Video Scavenger Hunt from 630-8pm and enjoyed running around the resort trying to get videos of different people and things.

After dinner we took little LW down stairs for some pin trading at the gift shop. There are several locations in the resort that offer pin trading and we planned ahead, bringing some pins from our trading at Disneyland.

Day 4 Plans

Snorkel Cruise
Lunch in Honolulu
Para-sailing
Relax at pool
Starlit Hui
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLouisB View Post


After dinner we took little LW down stairs for some pin trading at the gift shop. There are several locations in the resort that offer pin trading and we planned ahead, bringing some pins from our trading at Disneyland.
I was pleasantly surprised how many places there were at Aulani to trade pins. At first, the only CMs I saw wearing pin lanyards were the ones at that DVC Preview Center. Then we discovered that the General Store has two pin trading binders, the Concierge has a binder, and the Community Hall has a binder.

Have you had a chance to attend the story telling at the fire pit?
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
darbry
Mouseketeer
 
darbry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast, Ohio
Posts: 175

Thank you!

Thanks for the trip report! We are going to be there in 19 days!!! Can't wait! Love the falls...do you think that is something we could hike to with our 11 month old? I'm dreaming every night of paradise...
__________________
darbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbry View Post
Thanks for the trip report! We are going to be there in 19 days!!! Can't wait! Love the falls...do you think that is something we could hike to with our 11 month old? I'm dreaming every night of paradise...
The hike to Waimea Valley falls in .75 miles each way. They do have shuttle service for $6 round trip or $4 one way. Many people do as we did, which is walk to the falls, swim a bit, then take a shuttle back to the entrance. I'd say you could make the hike with an 11 month old, but leave the option open for a shuttle ride.
JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
JonLouisB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Clarita, Ca
Posts: 45

Day 4 Report

Early rise to beat traffic (25 miles in 50 minutes) to the marina for the snorkel cruise. We did see many turtles on the surface of the water, but the surf was rough and the visibility was really disappointing. Back in April the water was super clear and you could see to the bottom of the ocean floor. Everyone in our party had a good time, but I guess I was spoiled from my experience in April.



Myself and little LW on her first snorkel trip



View of Diamond Head from the Catamaran



Captain Stephen (Island Magic Catamaran)

JonLouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: