Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Rum Point Grand Cayman

Who has gone to Rum Point? I have been to GC and done Stingray City and Starfish point. I have also been to Kaibo. I am thinking about Rum Point this time. Anyone have any input on Rum Point excursions either through DCL or otherwise? Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Firemouse145
Earning My Ears

Rum point

We've done the sting ray city rum point excursion our last couple cruises. Rum Point is a very clean and quiet beach area. The food was good and the people were very nice. Swimming is nice too since the area is sheltered from any strong waves.

Firemouse145 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
TheTexasGal
Mouseketeer

We did this excursion on October 9th. We tendered in. All who were going on the dcl excursion went into three air conditioned mini vans. We rode on them for maybe ten minutes to the boat marina. Once there, we got right out of the vans and climbed onto a catamaran that was awesome! It is a 45 minute boat ride which seems like a long time but it actually was nice! My 4 year old girl and hubby enjoyed lying on the rope area at the front! The catamaran sells cold drinks and snacks. The two guys who run the boat are super sweet.

Once at the beach, we got our seats and played in the water. We brought sand toys (and decided to just leave them when it was over) but the shop there brought out lots of sand toys for everyone to use. I think we got to the beach at 10:15. You can choose when to eat. We dried off and ate around 11:45 - lunch was part f our excursion cost so we just presented a ticket they had given us. Got back in the water about 12:15 and played until 1:30. Cleaned off in the shower - just rinsed sand - and headed toward catamaran at 1:45 for a 2 pm departure. Went back to marina, back on vans, and got back to the tender station at 3:00 and back on the ship at 3:15.

This was actually a super relaxing excursion. The ride over, the time on the uncrowded beach, and the ride back were all fun but relaxing. We did see some fish and even some small stingrays but all in all I would say it is not a place with a huge wow factor. For us the beach was so clean and nice and that made it spectacular. Food was good. I would do it again but I am a sucker for relaxation. If you are a go-go-go type that likes super awesome extreme experiences, that won't be found at rum point.

Good luck in your decision. I want to go back now!! :-)
TheTexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
DisneyAngel83
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTexasGal View Post
We did this excursion on October 9th. We tendered in. All who were going on the dcl excursion went into three air conditioned mini vans. We rode on them for maybe ten minutes to the boat marina. Once there, we got right out of the vans and climbed onto a catamaran that was awesome! It is a 45 minute boat ride which seems like a long time but it actually was nice! My 4 year old girl and hubby enjoyed lying on the rope area at the front! The catamaran sells cold drinks and snacks. The two guys who run the boat are super sweet.

Once at the beach, we got our seats and played in the water. We brought sand toys (and decided to just leave them when it was over) but the shop there brought out lots of sand toys for everyone to use. I think we got to the beach at 10:15. You can choose when to eat. We dried off and ate around 11:45 - lunch was part f our excursion cost so we just presented a ticket they had given us. Got back in the water about 12:15 and played until 1:30. Cleaned off in the shower - just rinsed sand - and headed toward catamaran at 1:45 for a 2 pm departure. Went back to marina, back on vans, and got back to the tender station at 3:00 and back on the ship at 3:15.

This was actually a super relaxing excursion. The ride over, the time on the uncrowded beach, and the ride back were all fun but relaxing. We did see some fish and even some small stingrays but all in all I would say it is not a place with a huge wow factor. For us the beach was so clean and nice and that made it spectacular. Food was good. I would do it again but I am a sucker for relaxation. If you are a go-go-go type that likes super awesome extreme experiences, that won't be found at rum point.

Thanks for the great review! DH and I are taking this excursion when we sail the Magic in 7 days!! We are not going to Castaway Cay because we are sailing the Western Caribbean from Galveston and this was my attempt to get a nice beach day. Your review makes me feel better about my choice.
2006 Animal Kindgom Lodge/Pop Century-Disney Honeymoon!! May 2007 Disneyland (my first trip to California) October 2007 Port Orleans Riverside and MNSSHP! Sept-Oct 2008 Bouncin' Back to Pop Century with Free Dining!!
May 2009- Disney Cruise Line-Wonder 4 night-My first Cruise
December 2009-Disney at Christmas!! All Star Music
October 2010- Epic October meets and DH BDay Pop Century
June 2011- Disney Dream Cruise and WDW
January 2012- Pop Century
September 2012- Epic Fall meets and Art of Animation/Disneyland combo trip
October 2012- Disney Magic from Galveston
DisneyAngel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks guys for the help! Rum Point sounds perfect! I think I have made my decision!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemouse145 View Post
We've done the sting ray city rum point excursion our last couple cruises. Rum Point is a very clean and quiet beach area. The food was good and the people were very nice. Swimming is nice too since the area is sheltered from any strong waves.
Thank you! It sounds like the right excursion for us!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Mommy2Emmy
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Just to be clear, this was the Rum Point Beach excursion through DCL, the one without the sting ray snorkeling? I just booked it, and I'm hoping it is because this sounds amazing!!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

Rum Point is beautiful and lovely!!!! You won't be disappointed.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
ILoveWD
Mouseketeer

Rum Point was excellent. We loved the relaxing boat ride over. The whole day was great. We booked through DCL and were very happy. We opted to skip the stingrays and just enjoy more time on the beach. I wish we could have stayed there longer.
ILoveWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
AngieEstaAqui
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Do you remember what kinds of choices you were offered for lunch? I'm not looking for anything extravagant, just something I know my daughter would like.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
ILoveWD
Mouseketeer

This excursion was the highlight of our cruise. I agree that it is laid back but such a cute beach. The boat ride over was so relaxing. They let people sit on the front of the boat too.

We went in May, so I can only remember that I had some great fried fish. I am not a huge fried fish fan, but I tried it based on other's advice. My daughter just told me that she ate a hot dog plate with fries and a cookie. I hope this helps.

Last edited by ILoveWD; 01-09-2013 at 05:31 PM.
ILoveWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Mommy2Emmy
Mouseketeer

Should we bring beach toys for this beach? DD is 4!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Drew Sailbum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieEstaAqui View Post
Do you remember what kinds of choices you were offered for lunch? I'm not looking for anything extravagant, just something I know my daughter would like.
Kid friendly items include a burger, hot dog, or chicken strips. For the adults, the grill serves a very nice jerk pork or a chicken panini sandwich which is one of my favorites.

For tours that include lunch I am pretty sure that you have your choice from most of the items on the Rum Point Wreck Bar menu, but alcohol is not included in package tour prices.

Menu prices are in Cayman dollars. CI$1 = US$1.25 so that CI$10 frozen blender drink actually costs US!2.50 + mandatory 15% service charge!
Drew Sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
newdismom
Earning My Ears

So excited to see all the reviews on rum point! We will be there in 3 weeks!
newdismom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: