Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

It's very family friendly. Our kids have been three time starting at ages 3 and 5. It's a restaurant...just like any other restaurant that has some patrons who drink alcoholic beverages and some who don't.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

We have been there many times and never experienced drunks. The prices are way high for drinks so it deters from folks overdoing it. If you have several in your family, you may be at a table by yourself anyway. The food is very good, IMO. Go and enjoy, be sure to see the band before you leave.
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz View Post
We love the food and atmosphere at Beirgarten, but we don't usually feel comfortable sitting with others for various reasons. Yep, sometimes its because you get seated with folks who seem to seethe that you are sitting at THEIR table.. If Disney would change the seating policy (maybe half communal and half for individual parties, upon request) we would be there every trip.
But then that wouldn't go with the theme. I have been to Biergartens in Germany and the tables are communal. It's a part of the atmosphere and theme of the restaurant.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

I think part of the problem is that the "communal" tables are so small, therefore, if you come as a couple you can end up at a table with just you and another group/family and it just feels like you are shoved together. If they had long tables where EVERYONE was sitting together, it wouldn't seem as forced. The only time my boyfriend and I have gone, we were seated with a table of girls having a bachelorette party (the most low-key bachelorette I have ever seen, as none of them were drinking and they were all pretty quiet). We loved the restaurant and enjoyed the food but the seating aspect made things a little awkward. The girls seemed nice enough but I don't think they liked the restaurant and they keep giving me and my boyfriend looks when we came back to the table with more plates. Most of them didn't finish their first plate and were complaining about how there was "too much food." I think I ended up having 3 plates, none of which I finished (app/salad plate, dinner plate, and desserts that my boyfriend and I shared), but yeah, my boyfriend did STUFF himself! I guess we horrified them. So yeah, better tablemates would have been nice.

But back to the OP's question, it's definitely fine for families. I didn't see anyone who was drunk or even drinking much at all. There is a polka band and I saw lots of kids dancing. I'm sure your family would love it.
rustyanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
venny
Mouseketeer

Dined here last week and there were drunks in there, in fact they invaded the dance floor after the show and tried to instigate the birdie dance after the music had finished. It was however a Saturday during food and wine and so I suspect they had already been drinking around the world, like a lot of other people we encountered that day.

The worst part of our experience however was the food. The cold items were quite good, but the carving station had meatloaf that had the same consistency as neoprene and pork so dry you needed another beer to wash it down. The desserts and entertainment were the best part of the meal.
2007 - Pop Century ; 2008 - Pop Century ; 2009 - Saratoga Springs; 2010 - Disney Magic in the Med (11 nights) and Saratoga Springs; 2011 - Disney Magic in the Med (7 nights) and DLP Hotel New York; 2012 - Saratoga Springs
venny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
robinb
DIS Veteran

I think it's very family friendly. You do run a risk in getting "dud" tablemates. I recall once we were seated with a family who wouldn't talk to us and gave us the "stink eye" the whole time for each having a beer.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
hart6066
DIS Veteran

You can ask for a different table....

Obviously it's not the best/most comfortable plan, but before you sit down if you get a really bad vibe, you can ask to be seated differently.

Last year the person checking in at the podium ahead of me told the CM that they were a party of 3, but one member was really not feeling well and might have to cancel. While waiting for our table we saw the group and one member kept excusing themselves and tried to lie down on benches, etc. this was a person in their early 20's. Sure enough, we are called and guess who our table mates are?? We overheard the unwell woman saying she wanted to leave, but the 2 others were trying to get her to stay saying they had the ADR, they didn't want to leave, etc.

We got to the table (me, DH, and our 2 kids) and I put the kids at the far end of the table, and the sick woman sat down right next to me, put her head (hair splayed everywhere!) on the table and kept sort of moaning!

Needless to say, as discreetly as I could, I had our family excuse ourselves and I went to ask for a different table! We ended up with another family and everything worked out great!
hart6066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

We did this for the first time in September and at first I was a little worried about being seated with strangers. I don't mind being put with strangers, I just didn't like the idea of being put next to some people who would make me feel uncomfortable.

Our experience was good though. We were seated with a family of four (they were nice enough but spoke very little English, so conversation was hard and then became non-existant) and two men. The bloke I was sat next to more or less said nothing but his friend was quite socialable and at the end of our meal they offered us the use of their TiW card.

The food was nice, I liked the variety. The entertainment was good (DH didn't like the band though) and the service was good. There was no drunken behaviour and everyone was just generally enjoying the atmosphere. I think we'll be definitely doing it again next year. I found it to be very family friendly, there was quite a few children there and they all seemed to enjoy themselves.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

I do not like German beer, so while DH had a beer, the kids and I drank soda. We sat with another couple drinking soda. They were not super social, so we just kind of ignored each other and enjoyed our selves.

I am very social and enjoy talking to people at WDW, so I was actually hoping to sit with another talker like me

It is a fun place, fun ompa band and good food (plenty of it). I was glad we tried it.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
I have wanted to try Biergarten for a while now because I love German food. We booked an ADR for early December dinner there. My family and I are all non-drinkers and I realize that beer will be served to those around us, which is no big deal, no problem with others enjoying around us.

However, what I was wondering - is Biergarten a family-friendly place to dine for non-drinkers or is it more similar to happy hour at the frat house? Since they have community seating, could I possibly be seated next to obnoxious drunkard Wilbur from Pennsyl-tucky who is on his 10th pint? Is Biergarten the wrong choice for non-drinkers to relax and enjoy a meal?
Biergaten has wonderful food, great atmosphere, and fun music. We look forward to going to Beirgarten every trip, have never seen anyone drunk, but what we do see is a LOT of kids having fun in front of the band when the music starts.

Have a magical time!!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

Biergarten is very family friendly. The drinking there is not like a frat house. We really enjoy this restaurant.

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite

Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
ReluctantDisaholic
Mouseketeer

We all enjoyed it there - and we're not big drinkers. I didn't notice anything different there compared to any other places we ate that trip.

We were seated with another family who turned out to be from the same province we are, and had kids roughly the same age (and one with the same name). We had a great time and would definitely go there again.
March 2013 - POR
March 2014 - POR/POFQ

ReluctantDisaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #28
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

we always go to Biergarten and the kids loved it...all ages...No one was drinking to excess...My grandkids loved being there and enjoyed the music...and the dancing...
I am saying it is a very family friendly restaurant ...go and enjoy

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #29
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
. . . could I possibly be seated next to obnoxious drunkard Wilbur from Pennsyl-tucky who is on his 10th pint? . . .
1) Doubtful.
2) I won't be there that date.

TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Doubtful.
2) I won't be there that date.

Shewwww Am I glad she was talking about you. For a second there I thought it was me.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: