Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
superme80
DIS Veteran

Can I just have a time machine to visit every decade I wish I was born in????
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #17
Agent7
Mouseketeer

While I love the clothing of the 1940's I was born in the right time. I'm getting a degree in biology which I hope to take into research one day and being a woman that would have been extremely difficult if I had been born in an earlier decades. Not to mention that research was so much more time consuming and difficult before computers were invented.

Although it would be super nice to travel time in the TARDIS...
Agent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

Having done a good deal of family genealogy over the years, I'm happy I'm living during this time! Life is much easier now. I'm guessing it will be even better in the future - though with automation of many jobs there could be strife till a new way of society is organized. I sometimes have wondered how my past relatives made it. They all to often lived during times of mass illnesses such as small pox, yellow fever, along with poor sanitation, poor nutrition, dealing with the cold, etc.

With that said, i suppose the past certainly did have it's positives. I was fascinated to read of Dr. Weston Prices accounts of visiting western (and other locations for that matter) native villages in Scotland and Switzerland. The people where generally happy and healthier than we are today he found. The need for physicians rare. Dr. Price speculated this was due to these people eating a nutritionally rich traditional diet.

Dr. Price wrote many details on what he saw, but his main writings where about dental health. (He was a dental researcher) What he discovered was that few of the native tribes he visited had dental problems. Saw Mark's Daily Apple had a recent write up on this.

"The Problems with Modern Wheat"

snippet:

Quote:
...Meanwhile, for the vast majority of our wheat-eating history, humans have been grinding whole wheat berries up fresh and fermenting them before baking and eating the stuff. Dr. Weston Price famously found several traditional cultures who thrived on wheat, but they weren’t eating refined white flour treated with quick-rising yeast. They were stone-grinding fresh wheat. They were fermenting it. They were doing all the things a person has got to do if they want to make wheat a staple of their diet and maximize the nutrition in the process. Later, Price conducted experiments in which he reversed dental decay and remineralized cavity-ridden teeth in refined white flour-eating people using wholesome, varied diets that included some freshly ground wheat. Fermentation effectively “pre-digests” the proteins in wheat, as I mentioned previously. If you have the right organisms, you can even break down wheat gluten to the point that celiacs can eat it without suffering symptoms.

That’s not to suggest you should go eat wheat. It’s simply to suggest that if you do, fresh, whole, ancient wheat prepared the old way is definitely healthier....
Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#ixzz29qin98IY

&

"Nutrition and Physical Degeneration [Paperback]"

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Phys.../dp/0916764206

Review of Dr. Price's writings:

Quote:
New Expanded 8th edition with new photos and text.

An epic study demonstrating the importance of whole food nutrition, and the degeneration and destruction that comes from a diet of processed foods.

For nearly 10 years, Weston Price and his wife traveled around the world in search of the secret to health. Instead of looking at people afflicted with disease symptoms, this highly-respected dentist and dental researcher chose to focus on healthy individuals, and challenged himself to understand how they achieved such amazing health. Dr. Price traveled to hundreds of cities in a total of 14 different countries in his search to find healthy people. He investigated some of the most remote areas in the world. He observed perfect dental arches, minimal tooth decay, high immunity to tuberculosis and overall excellent health in those groups of people who ate their indigenous foods. He found when these people were introduced to modernized foods, such as white flour, white sugar, refined vegetable oils and canned goods, signs of degeneration quickly became quite evident. Dental caries, deformed jaw structures, crooked teeth, arthritis and a low immunity to tuberculosis became rampant amongst them. Dr. Price documented this ancestral wisdom including hundreds of photos in his book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
abdmom
DIS Veteran

I was born a bit too early. I'm a science person. I had professors (in the 80's) telling me I was going to flunk out, be surprised "you are still here?" etc etc. The work I was doing, in the early 90's, didn't become big until the early-mid '00's. Sigh.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I would have liked to have been a young adult in the 1940s...so I guess born in 1920.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
moon
DIS Veteran

I wouln't like to live at any time without indoor plumbing, no way!

I also for a long time wished to be born in the mid-forties so I could have experienced the sixtie's culture as a young person. The fashions, the music, having discovered the BEATLES, and see them in concert, WOW!! knowing there was a young Paul McCartney somewhere out there

But now, if anything, I think that maybe I would like to have been born sometime in the future. Maybe that would have been better for me.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I am a big fan of penicillin. Also, anytime I have an urge to go back even a few decades, I just watch an episode of the first season of Mad Men and remember why I am constantly grateful to be a woman alive today.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

My oldest DD (born 1992) has often said she wished she had grown up during the late 60s/early 70s (which I did). I have often said I wish I had been born in her era, just because I want crazy piercings and tattoos and well, a 52 yr old Grandma just can't pull it off.
My other choice would've been the 40s...I am totally in love with the fashions of that era, and my dmom (born 1929) has great stories about a simpler life and time.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I know I wouldn't have wanted to be born any earlier than I was. I work in the IT field and couldn't imagine doing anything else aside from maybe medical research.

I do wish I had had the technology my kids had when I was growing up, though. I was a quiet, nerdy child with few friends and I think I would I thrived with the internet, wii, and all the online games. Although my mother was always very anti-technology so I doubt she would have allowed us access to those types of things anyway. So I suppose all in all, I was born at the perfect time.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
I am a big fan of penicillin. Also, anytime I have an urge to go back even a few decades, I just watch an episode of the first season of Mad Men and remember why I am constantly grateful to be a woman alive today.
Isn't that the truth! I was born in the 60s but didn't enter the workforce until the 80s, but when I see Mad Men it really makes me glad I wasn't a woman trying to start a career in the 60s.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

As with most here, I see a lot to like about some of the "simpler times" in the past, and at the same time would hate to give up modern conveniences, modern medicine, etc. So no, I don't want to go back
Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
rockawaybeachgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
I was going to use the exact same Mad Men example. I've always loved the nostalgia and glamour of the post-WW2 1940's,but watchingMad Men shows me how limited my options would have been. In my house, the traditonal roles are reversed ( I am the professional, the breadwinner, handle all finances/investments, while DH stays home with the kids). I actually said to him the other night while watching Mad Men on Netflix- WTH would I have done back then? I would have been miserable.

It's crazy to think how different my life would have been if i had come of age in the 1940s. I went to a science and math high school that didn't admit women until 1946. I played softball. My university didn't admit women until 1974. I majored in accounting. Lived on my own in Manhattan and London. Was a single mom for a while and had no financial issues. Keptmy maiden name. Bought property on my own. All of that would have been, if not impossible, very difficult to do at that time.

Sometimes I do think about what things my children or grandchildren will say 'wow,I can't believe that's how they did it back in the 2010s. I got a small glimpse when I was watching the movie Home Alone with my 9 year old last year. When she saw the size of the house Kevin's family has, she said "wow that's a big house". Then she turned to me and said "that mom must have a really good job!"
rockawaybeachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

I'm more interested in the future. I wish I could see the World if my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I really love swing jazz and the general look/feel of the night life of the 40's/early 50's.

But I love everything else about right now.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
handinpocket
DIS Veteran

I was born in the 70s, but it would have been pretty awesome to be a young adult in the 70s.
handinpocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: