Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Caradana
Miraculously, Refreshingly Marooned in Anonymity
 
Caradana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,748

Were you born in the right time?

We were discussing this at work today. I'm in an industry and a field that have changed radically with technology. My job didn't exist 10 years ago. The previous iteration of my job would've bored me immensely. My professional success and happiness are entirely as a result of the fact that I was born in 1980, went to college right as internet speed ignited and hit second gear in my career right as technology took over marketing I feel strongly like I was born at the right time for my interests and talents. Does that make sense? I hope so.

My grandmother was born in 1927 and has had a happy life, but she told me recently that she wishes she was born in my time. She never worked, and is a five-time Jeopardy champion. She wishes she'd had the chance to enter academia and do research, write and publish and live that life. It just wasn't in the cards for a middle-class woman in 1948.

One of my good friends is enthralled with Victoriana. She would've loved life at the turn of the century. Another one thinks that the passion and the ruthlessness of the American Revolution must've been pretty incredible (and the quilting and gardening ... she's a crafty naturalist). A third would trade in this life for the time of Jesus, obvious reasons there.

Were you born at the right time? Have you ever felt that you would've fit better into some earlier time, some earlier place? Where, when, why?

(fun thoughts as we enter a weekend)
Caradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
andysomma1
Mouseketeer
 
andysomma1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradana View Post
We were discussing this at work today. I'm in an industry and a field that have changed radically with technology. My job didn't exist 10 years ago. The previous iteration of my job would've bored me immensely. My professional success and happiness are entirely as a result of the fact that I was born in 1980, went to college right as internet speed ignited and hit second gear in my career right as technology took over marketing I feel strongly like I was born at the right time for my interests and talents. Does that make sense? I hope so.

My grandmother was born in 1927 and has had a happy life, but she told me recently that she wishes she was born in my time. She never worked, and is a five-time Jeopardy champion. She wishes she'd had the chance to enter academia and do research, write and publish and live that life. It just wasn't in the cards for a middle-class woman in 1948.

One of my good friends is enthralled with Victoriana. She would've loved life at the turn of the century. Another one thinks that the passion and the ruthlessness of the American Revolution must've been pretty incredible (and the quilting and gardening ... she's a crafty naturalist). A third would trade in this life for the time of Jesus, obvious reasons there.

Were you born at the right time? Have you ever felt that you would've fit better into some earlier time, some earlier place? Where, when, why?

(fun thoughts as we enter a weekend)
I would have preferred to have been born in the 1910's. I think people back then were more "real" than we are today. The first inclination of most people back then were to try and help others and the nuclear family was far more prevalent back then also. I'm a sport nut, so I also would have liked to have seen some of the great athletes of that time. I really like the shirt and tie look that most of the men wore back in that time as well. I love the Carousel Of Progress and I would have loved to have been able to see first hand the evolution of technology from horse and buggy and radio, to space shuttles and 3D television.
andysomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!
 
Saphire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!
Posts: 3,917

I am so, so grateful to be born at a time that I can enjoy showers and running water. I know there were ways to keep clean in the past, but please, give me a hot shower/running water on a daily basis, and I can accomplish anything!
__________________
Saphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like
 
Diznygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,434

Funny this should be brought up, because I just watched Midnight in Paris a couple days ago. Good movie, I recommend it.
__________________
Diznygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznygrl
Funny this should be brought up, because I just watched Midnight in Paris a couple days ago. Good movie, I recommend it.
oh i love that movie!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App
__________________


........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!
 
westjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,132

I like that that I was born in the 60s, but I wish my DDs had been born 10 years earlier (they were born in the 90s and I think the 80s would have been better). DH and I were married 11 years before we had kids and at the time it seemed like a good time, but I have not enjoyed how much technology like cell phones, texting, social nextworks and such has impacted the lives of my DDs. So I would have preferred for them to have gone through high school before all of that.

Oh, and also how TV show that teens watch have changed so much. Thank goodness for the Disney Channel.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
low-key
DIS Veteran
 
low-key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,732

I should have been a caveman
__________________
low-key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

I reenact as a docent at a museum as a yeoman's wife in the 1850's and I can safely say NO! HE11 NO!

It is a fascinating time period and I feel a deep connection to the strong women and men who lived back then, but consider:

No modern medicine. No antibiotics, no antivirals, no immunizations. Most people who were near-sighted didn't even have glasses for heavens' sake! Get cancer and you die. Have a heart attack and you die. Heck, get the flu and there's a good chance you die.

If you weren't rich and white and male, you had many less protections under the law that we take for granted today. Married and your husband beats on you? Suck it up, buttercup. Battered kids? No anyone's problem but the parents'. The wrong race and have a greivance in the law - say someone murdered your parents - you had a significantly lessened chance, in some places no chance, of seeing justice ever done.

Want to visit your folks, but you've moved half-way across the country? Well good luck with that. Maybe once or twice in your life time, if you're lucky and you have a bit of money. Otherwise, write a letter. It will get to them in a month.

As a yoeman farmer's wife in the 1850's, in a "good wash" dress (a dress that could be washed) tricked out for Sunday or recieving guests, I really should wear the following from skin out: chemise (a long cotton nightgown thing that goes to my knees), drawers (basically, cotton bloomers, but no elastic at the calf), cotton or wool stockings that come up over my knees, an under-petticoat, a corset, a corset cover over the corset, a corded petticoat, and a petticoat over the corded petticoat. Then my dress. A crocheted collar and crotcheted cuffs (optional, but they really do make the dress). Finally, a bonnet on my head (also not required, but customary).

Like I said, I love dressing up and pretending to be a woman of the 1850's. I love studying the 19th century social history. I admire and appreciate the strong men and women of the era.

Would I want to live in that time? Never in a million years. I'll take my AC and refrigerator and electric lights and ability to earn a living and have equal protection under the law with a smile!
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
I should have been a caveman
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day
 
Micca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Mostly the basement
Posts: 20,606

Unequivocally yes! Had I not been born when I was, the chances are I'd have never met DW
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyDanielle85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 223

I think in a way yes, I was born in the right decade because the technology today is amazing and times today are so interest with all the new developments, however I also think I should have been born in the mid 40's so that I could be a young adult in the early sixties. I am obsessed with 60's high fashion and the jet-setting age of Pan Am. I think I'd have been a great Pan Am Stewardess in the age of 60's glamour (had I been a size 2 LOL). I loved learning about JFK and MLK. I love 60's music, the race to space....etc. I am such an old soul in a 27 (tomorrow) year old body.
__________________

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit
 
diznygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 10,494

I wanted to be a newspaper reporter. Yeah, I was born in the wrong time.


But I love living in this time with all the technology available.
__________________
diznygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started
 
ladypage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I reenact as a docent at a museum as a yeoman's wife in the 1850's and I can safely say NO! HE11 NO!

It is a fascinating time period and I feel a deep connection to the strong women and men who lived back then, but consider:

No modern medicine. No antibiotics, no antivirals, no immunizations. Most people who were near-sighted didn't even have glasses for heavens' sake! Get cancer and you die. Have a heart attack and you die. Heck, get the flu and there's a good chance you die.

If you weren't rich and white and male, you had many less protections under the law that we take for granted today. Married and your husband beats on you? Suck it up, buttercup. Battered kids? No anyone's problem but the parents'. The wrong race and have a greivance in the law - say someone murdered your parents - you had a significantly lessened chance, in some places no chance, of seeing justice ever done.

Want to visit your folks, but you've moved half-way across the country? Well good luck with that. Maybe once or twice in your life time, if you're lucky and you have a bit of money. Otherwise, write a letter. It will get to them in a month.

As a yoeman farmer's wife in the 1850's, in a "good wash" dress (a dress that could be washed) tricked out for Sunday or recieving guests, I really should wear the following from skin out: chemise (a long cotton nightgown thing that goes to my knees), drawers (basically, cotton bloomers, but no elastic at the calf), cotton or wool stockings that come up over my knees, an under-petticoat, a corset, a corset cover over the corset, a corded petticoat, and a petticoat over the corded petticoat. Then my dress. A crocheted collar and crotcheted cuffs (optional, but they really do make the dress). Finally, a bonnet on my head (also not required, but customary).

Like I said, I love dressing up and pretending to be a woman of the 1850's. I love studying the 19th century social history. I admire and appreciate the strong men and women of the era.

Would I want to live in that time? Never in a million years. I'll take my AC and refrigerator and electric lights and ability to earn a living and have equal protection under the law with a smile!
Agreed! No one seems to think about the bad stuff. Sure, I would love to visit a speakeasy during prohibition, or watch a jousting tournament up close. But even if all of my friends and family grew up and were raised in the same time relative to whenever I chose, I wouldn't likely be allowed to be in contact with them. One of my best friends is black, and back in any of those times we wouldn't have been able to have fun together. All of my male friends? Well the only time I could have hung out with them was if they were suitors. And college? Out of the question.
__________________

Former Epcot CM


PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Mr. Pig
I picked Monorail Coral so that it won't be lonely
 
Mr. Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,561

It's easy to look into the past and be glad we have all that we do now but then think of all the people born 100 years from now that will be so glad they weren't born in that primitive 21st century.
__________________
First visit - Disneyland 06/65
Most recent - Disney World 05/14
Disneyland 05/13
In between - Too many times to count
Mr. Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started
 
ladypage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pig View Post
It's easy to look into the past and be glad we have all that we do now but then think of all the people born 100 years from now that will be so glad they weren't born in that primitive 21st century.
I think a lot about that too! But I'm not very imaginative, so instead of just improving upon stuff that we're doing now, I can't come up with anything new and amazing to dream about for the future. This is why I'm not an inventor
__________________

Former Epcot CM


PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: