Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

cat help! whinning!

So we have one cat whos 5. She was just to the vet and in good health. A bit of history: The only change we have made is the cats are no longer alowed to sit on the bathrooom sink (they were getting in the way). We have put sticky tape around it to keep them off. We were a 6 cat household till last week when tabby (18) passed away. . Tabby passed mid day and we burried her that eveing.
Now back to shad and the problem: she crys constantly!!! shes only silent when sleeping. About 2 am she started the one night, waking my mom up. Today she started a hour before I had to be up and has just spent the last 20 minutes crying. I try to give her extra attention when Im home. She will sit around for awile then wander away and ignore me. I am also planning on moving so theres lots of boxes laying around but she seems to enjoy them, sleeping on them, in them and pouncing on her freinds from them. Any ideas? I would love to sleep again.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Was this cat close to the one who died? Maybe the cat is in mourning. I know I have always let my cats see the other cat and smell it after it has died. It seemed to help them understand.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
Was this cat close to the one who died? Maybe the cat is in mourning. I know I have always let my cats see the other cat and smell it after it has died. It seemed to help them understand.
she never bothered with tabby. After tabby died, shad walked over, uncoved her head (was covered with blanket) and licked her before walking away.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
livie1205
DIS Veteran

Do you have enough space for that many cats? It may not seem like it but that many animals need more living space, are they getting enough play time and exercise?If you are in a small area and they dont go outside ever it could effect their health.
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Katieinwonderland
Disney bride July 2008

Oh my goodness let me know if you figure something out! We recently started shutting the bedroom door at night so the cats couldn't come in to prepare them for when the baby gets here and they won't be allowed in at night.

Two cats took to it just fine and found somewhere else to sleep. Cheeto spends HOURS sitting outside the door crying. I mean, about three hours of whining at a time before his voice gives out - he even reaches up and tries to turn the door handle. It's been two weeks and hasn't gotten better, so I'm curious to see what everyone says the solution might be (other than letting him in!)
Katieinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by livie1205
Do you have enough space for that many cats? It may not seem like it but that many animals need more living space, are they getting enough play time and exercise?If you are in a small area and they dont go outside ever it could effect their health.
Didn't the OP come here for advice on how to stop the constant meowing and not a lecture as to how many cats she should have in her home?!

for the record a lot of my friends have cats which they never let outside to play. ever. they are indoor cats and perfectly healthy. plus a few of them live in very small spaces.

OP, it sounds as thou your cat is mourning. my cat acted the same way when i was living with my parents, they went on a long vacation. she wouldnt shut up! it was funny but annoying.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

If she's missing getting a drink from the sink, perhaps you could get one of the pet water fountains. My cats were very used to drinking from the bathroom sink at my old place, which was fine because there were 2 sinks and only one of me. When I moved, however, I was down a bathroom since and I did not want to share! Once I got the drinkwell fountain, they stopped trying to get in the sink.

I would suspect she might be mourning. Even if they weren't close, whenever there's a change in dynamics in the household, cats can get upset. And the moving boxes are another change. Cats can be so sensitive!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
shortbun
Peacenik

I think your cat is reacting to the major changes in it's lfe. The loss of a good friend-you say they weren't close but her cleaning the passed cat signals otherwise. Lots of boxes laying around because you are preparing to move. Gosh, my cat just gets crazy when I put a suitcase out and she senses change is coming. The loss of a social spot that she loves(the sink, water loss, human contact area). Try re-establishing the water area or pack the boxes and organize them someplace other than the middle of the room. Cats are curious and will mark things like boxes but that doesn't mean they like it. LOTS of changes in your 6 cat household. I imagine it's hard to find a good spot to be able to relax as it is. My cats have always needed routine. You've got some major routine busters going on.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: