Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Did not mean to cloud anyone's judgment. I stand by what I said. I was surprised how close the key elements of the resort were, including some cabins. Only one person's experience. To be honest, if we decided to stay there after we were at HDDR, we would have booked our vacation based on that exact impression that we had. That is what the boards are about. A culmination of experiences. In the end, people use their own judgement as do I when I book my vacation. Many people hate tattered and torn Poly, but I stay as often as I can as I think it is perfect. I wish people vacationing only the best experiences to make the best memories!

Last edited by tinkermommyof3; 10-21-2012 at 11:20 AM.
tinkermommyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

We have stayed in the cabins and really enjoyed having the extra space, inside and outside. Having the full kitchen is a great perk too. I would recommend having a car though. I would drive to all the parks except MK. And drive to the grocery store for food instead of buying at the Fort.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
Did not mean to cloud anyone's judgment. I stand by what I said. I was surprised how close the key elements of the resort were, including some cabins.t
I am pretty sure those cabins are not rented to just anyone. According to allearsnet those are used exclusively by Disney management and corporate guests. The cabin loops that everyone stays in are FAR from the pioneer hall area.

If you look at this map the cabin loops are on the left side ( loop numbers 2200 +), the Pioneer Hall area is near Bay Lake on the right side.

http://allears.net/acc/FWMap.pdf

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
I am pretty sure those cabins are not rented to just anyone. According to allearsnet those are used exclusively by Disney management and corporate guests. The cabin loops that everyone stays in are FAR from the pioneer hall area.

If you look at this map the cabin loops are on the left side ( loop numbers 2200 +), the Pioneer Hall area is near Bay Lake on the right side.

http://allears.net/acc/FWMap.pdf
You're right. Whatever that cabin is that's close to Pioneer Hall it's not the cabin that the average guests stay in.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonR View Post
Very cool.....we are planning to spend one day at the cabin w/o going to a park. Any suggestions on what to do there with the kids....ages 7 and 3.
Walk along the beach, rent a boat, take the trail over to Wilderness Lodge, play games on the deck (get some travel games if they will fit into your luggage), just walk around your loop, at night go to the Chip and Dale campfire program, grill out for dinner (probably a bit more expensive than at home but you can get supplies at the campground - bring your own matches or lighter).
disnut8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
articfox676
Mouseketeer

For more information about activities for your 7 and 3 year old check the camping thread. They can tell you about the movies, pool, golf carts, arts and crafts, etc. Can't go wrong with a quiet cabin. No one in the halls and no elevator. You can bike or bus over to the Lodge and they have CS which is quite good.
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

I second the suggestion to have a car and drive to the resorts. Waiting for the internal bus and the regular bus took a lot of extra time. However, we stayed there on our first visit, and we loved it! If we weren't DVC members, I am sure we would opt for it on other trips too.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2mco View Post
I second the suggestion to have a car and drive to the resorts. Waiting for the internal bus and the regular bus took a lot of extra time. However, we stayed there on our first visit, and we loved it! If we weren't DVC members, I am sure we would opt for it on other trips too.
We ended up moving to CBR because we were losing some much time with transportation. The accommodations are fine but I wouldn't do it again unless I had a car.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
WellingtonR
Earning My Ears

Thanks all!!! We are driving down so we will have our van. Excellent ideas on what to do to. I think the kids will love the chip and dale campfire and the lake light display. I was wondering how much did you leave tips for housekeeping?
WellingtonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
We ended up moving to CBR because we were losing some much time with transportation. The accommodations are fine but I wouldn't do it again unless I had a car.
We were going to get a cabin for our spring trip but are now deciding between Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans because of the transportation stuff I've heard about. Our trip will be a shorter trip and we will be flying in, so no car and no time to waste! We are already traveling when things will be more expensive so I can't justify spending over $60 a day on a golf cart to get around the property. I love the appeal of the cabins and if time wasn't of the essence for this trip we would definitely give the cabins a try.
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #26
turnlisa
DIS Veteran

Fort Wilderness is huge - but we loved it! We stayed at one of the very outer loops and you are quite isolated. Completely quiet for sleeping and completely relaxed.

We drove so brought our bikes. We would bike each morning from the cabin to the marina to hop the boat to MK. It's about a 10 minute ride by bike. The PP is right - for the poster who walked around the marina, you only saw a small portion. It's a good idea to have bikes or take the internal bus. The buses seemed to run pretty regularly and we never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for one.

There is tons to do. My husband did kayaking while my youngest took the archery class. The pool is nice and you can also do canoeing, horseback riding, petting zoo, etc. Make sure you check out the campfire sing-a-long with Chip and Dale!

turnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
You're right. Whatever that cabin is that's close to Pioneer Hall it's not the cabin that the average guests stay in.
The very first time we stayed in the cabins, it was just for one night to see if we would like it. Upon checking in we were given one of the two cabins on loop 1. We said "WOW, we didn't expect to be there!!" and the CM said that those two cabins were VIP, for DIS mgmt and families etc., but since we were just staying the one night, it happened to be available. (Always love these little touches of Disney magic, you never know when they will pop up!!)
Anyhow, we LOVED our stay and have stayed there many times since, but always rent a golf cart to get around the resort (expensive but necessary imho, also A LOT fun), I would have NO interest in staying at the FW cabins without a golf cart, UGH!!
The resort is MASSIVE in size, and the cabin loops are far away from Pioneer hall. NOT walking distance, without a cart you will have to use the internal bus system, even if you have a car you are only allowed to drive it to and from your cabin. You cannot drive to the Pioneer Hall area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: