Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Oh yes I believe. As a child I lived in a haunted house, my Dad still lives there. I lived there from 3rd-9th grade. We experienced many things there and my Dad never believed it was haunted, until he and my Mom divorced and she and the 3 kids still at home (we have 4 "kids" in our family but my older sis had already moved out) moved out and these things still happened.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I absolutely believe that those who go before us stay "around" and may make a more "defintive" appearance when necessary.

I have many stories, both personally and professionally, that lead me to think this way.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I don't believe in the supernatural, period, whether you are talking about gods, death or spirits.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I absolutely believe that those who go before us stay "around" and may make a more "defintive" appearance when necessary.

I have many stories, both personally and professionally, that lead me to think this way.
Care to share any? From what I know of you from all of our years posting here, I have to say I'm somewhat surprised. I'd love to hear some of your stories, mainly because I know you are one of the more practical and level-headed Disers - definitely not a kook! I don't mean that only kooks believe in ghosts...not at all...but I tend to put more stock into someone's stories whom I know to be intelligent and educated.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Yes I believe in ghosts and yes I have seen one. She is an older woman and also has been seen by my brother. She lives in my parents house and likes to cause trouble by making all their timers go off at the same time ( egg timer, stove and microwave timers) and also hiding my dads pjs.
She also hides things like knives or towels but they always show up again. She's friendly : )
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

My mother died 9 years ago..completely unexpected. She was only 73. She was very active in our church and a huge part of our family life. So....fast forward about 6 or so months after she died.
I was in church, doing some stuff. There was not one single soul in the building other than me. It was about 8:30am, on a weekday. Lights were off everywhere but in the altar area where I had been working.
So....when I got done, I took a seat in the pew where my mother most often sat, during church. I sat there, very peacefully and quiet. Imagine my surprise when the hair on the back of my neck stood right up..and then I smelled my mother. Yep, smelled her. It was her favorite perfume. I felt the air move behind me. About 5 mins later, all was the same as usual. I checked every inch of that church...no one was there. It was incredibly spooky.

But I still feel her in our house as well. See things that quickly disappear. So, sure, I believe there is stuff out there we just can't imagine.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
amsyw
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~Walt Disney

I believe and have seen! We have several ghosts (entities, spirits, whatever you would want to call them) One I believe is my grandfather, who lived in my home for a while before moving to a nursing home. He loved to "tap" his cane on the floor in a regular cadence. Late at night when the house is still you can often hear that cadence. We have looked for anything that could make that sound, finding nothing. We have seen a "shadow" periodically. We also see an indian who comes in different clothing, sometimes with headwear - maybe a head dress. We live directly in the Trail of Tears and have actually found many Indian artifacts, arrowheads etc around our house and neighborhood.

My now 16 year old has seen/heard evidence of these spirits. I have seen/heard them, my DH always thought we were crazy and that we just "wanted" to believe something was here. One night about a year ago, DH was sound asleep in bed. I was in the bath one wall separating us. I heard him let out an odd sound - not a yell but obviously a startled gasp. I hurried and got out of the bath and went in asking if he was ok. He said "ok, I just saw it, I believe everything you guys have said" It was an indian with a shirt with some kind of decoration on it. He awoke to find him just standing beside the bed, then just faded away. My 7 year old has never mentioned seeing/hearing anything and we don't talk about it in front of him yet because he tends to get scared of things like this.

We don't feel scared and don't mind them here. They come and go, when they show up I am a bit startled, but never scared. They don't seem ominous just "here" if that makes sense.

We love watching Ghost Hunters and other similar shows. I would love to stay at some of the "haunted" places around the country to see if we experience anything.
2004 The Just Because Trip w/Nana & Papa in tow! yah! .2002 DH's 1st Trip .2000 Oldest DS's 1st Trip .
1982 My 1st (and only) Trip to DL .1980 My 1st Trip to WDW! I've never been the same since!
amsyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I believe it's possible though I have no direct reason to believe either way. My friend says she saw her gma the night she passed and knew about my car accident before I called her.

My grandfather died in my parents' house after having heart attack in his sleep while visiting us. As far as I know, none of my family has ever seen him but a college BF might have. He didn't know the story and was visiting and staying in that room. He went around a corner and yelped because he swore there was someone standing there.

My other grandfather died when my DS was 1 week old and DD was 2y 4mo. He lived 2 hours away and never met my DS. We had taken DD when we took my gpa out to lunch about every month or two. So she knew him but did not see him all the time.

She would just bring him up at random times for a few years after that. I always thought it was odd that she had such memories of him despite being so young.

A couple months after his death, she drew a pic. In it, there are 2 stick people with triangle bodies in color. One is holding a baby. In front of the baby and across the rest of the page is a line of black stick figures. When I asked her to describe the pic, she said I was holding the baby and they were waiting to see the baby.

I don't know who "they" were, she couldn't tell me, but that pic has always made me wonder. We'd never waited in a line like that and I don't know, it just gave me a sense that she was aware of something. She has always drawn tons of pictures but that pic just had something different about it.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Age 17- I was at a party in a town a couple of towns over...a town I would call suburban bordering on rural, so very dark at night, not too many streetlights etc. I had a few drinks at the party & was driving home. Stupid, I know...I was 17. Anyhow, I'm driving down the windy dark road & suddenly I hear someone yell "Stop"! I was alone in the car & I swear the person screamed it in my ear. Not a voice I recognized but urgent enough that I slammed on the brakes. When I kind of focused on where I was, I realized that I was about to go around a curve that I didn't realize was going to curve & had I kept going straight I would have driven off the road & into a large creek/small river.

Age 20s- working nights as an RN. Went into a very ill patient's room. She was essentially dying & had been unresponsive for days. She was wide awake, sitting up in bed. She looked past me & said "Oh thank God Jesus, you've finally come for me". I backed out of the room (mainly because I was afraid to turn around!). When I went back abotu 20 minutes later (with another nurse) she was dead.

Age 20s- still an RN. taking care of an elderly woman whose husband had died on our floor about 2 months earlier. Myself & another nurse werein her room later in the evening making her comfortable for the night. Suddenly the lights in the room started blinking, sghe looked up and said "Victor, you're here" (Victor was her husband who had recently passed). We were spooked (again!) so left the room. Went back in a while later and she was dead.

Through my 30s- Bought a house. We were the 2nd owners. The 1st owner had built it. We had a dog. The dog used to run to one corner of the kitchen & bark up at the counter. Now, there was nothing in that corner of the counter that would particularly attarct the dog...I kept his food and treats on the other side of the kitchen. I would kiddingly say "What's the matter Ted (dog's name)? Is Stanley (previous owner)sitting on the counter? The dog would immediately stop barking & look very puzzled at the counter, as if he was saying "Where did he go? I just saw him". This happened NUMEROUS times. Nothing bad ever happened in the house & I have never seen or heard Stanley, so I assume if he checks in occasionally, he's happy with what we've done with the place.

Still in my 30's - My father-in-law is dying of cancer. we are at his bedside & he is what I would probably call semi-comatose. He would respond if you talked to him & asked a question, but he wasn't offering any conversation. All of a sudden, he startedtalking. He's talking like he's at a party...."Hey! How are you?"..."Good to see you!"..."How have you been?"....My sister-in-law kept trying to ask him who he was seeing and he kept saying "lots of people". Later that evening, my sister-in-law was straightening his pillows and such and she said to him "You know Dad, it's OKif you go. We'll take care of Mommy" and I said "I am sure there are a lot of people waiting to see you over there". Now, keep in mind, semi-comatose. He looks right at me and says "Yes there are". He died a few hours later....Spring 2001.

Just turned 40-father-in-law has been dead about a year, it's my birthday, I opened my garage door & there was a mist in the garage. Now, it was a nice sunny spring day, no fog or mist anywhere. This mist just hung there. I looked at it & said "Are you coming to see me for my birthday?" I was certain, way down certain, that it was my father-in-law. The mist hung there for a minute, then dissipated.

Still 40- late Fall 2002. My mother-in-law had died as well (the in-laws died 9 months apart...long year). Anyhow, she loved gardenias. One day I was bringing brush to our local transfer station. Right in the middle of the area where we are supposed to dump brush was a gardenia plant. There was literally not another piece of brush, branch, not a leaf, nothing in the "brush area" except for this gardenia plant. I brought it home. DH says "Where did you get that?". I said "Your mother sent it to me". He, of course, looked at me like I was nuts. I said "You'll see...she sent it to me". I nursed it through the winter of 2002-2003 and it bloomed in 2003....on Mother's Day. I brought my DH into the spare room where I kept it (I had a nice big windowsill) & showed it him. He then believed that his mother sent it to me.

October 2007-dog develops a brain tumor. We have to put him down. Very bad day. That night, I felt the dog jump on the bed and lay across my feet.

I have many "little" things...smelling cigarette smoke (my in-laws were smokers) which always seems to happen when there's something sort of "going on" in the family...not necessarily something bad, but something out of the ordinary. My niece & her family moved back home after spending a coupel of years down south and when they were due to arrive, I was smelling cigarette smoke all the time. No one else I know smokes, there would be no reason to suddenyl get a whiff of cigarette smoke in or near my house. I think they were excited that she was coming back (only grandduaghter of theirs, so the Princess) and were "hanging out" more...seeing their granddaughter, her new baby (their 1st great-grandchild) etc.

And it's funny, when someone is trying to "send a message" I always somehow know it the difference between the "message" and just a normal occurrence. It's like a gut feeling. I also think that if we paid closer attention, we'd get a lot moremessages. But people chalk stuff up to wind, weather, and a million other things, instead of believing that our loved ones are around us.

I am Catholic, so I believe in an afterlife/Heaven. I also believe that love is transcendant of space & time. I think, for example, of the love between a parent & child & can't imagine that after a parents dies, they are like "OK, done with you" and wander off into eternity.

Perhaps I sound nuts, and if you knew me, you'd know that I am, in pretty much every aspect of my life, extraordinarily practical and not prone to too much "Tutti-Fruttiness".
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
amsyw
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~Walt Disney

Quote:
...And it's funny, when someone is trying to "send a message" I always somehow know it the difference between the "message" and just a normal occurrence. It's like a gut feeling. I also think that if we paid closer attention, we'd get a lot moremessages. But people chalk stuff up to wind, weather, and a million other things, instead of believing that our loved ones are around us..
I totally believe this. I was going to say something similar but was unsure how to word it. I think some people don't want to "believe" and therefore brush it off as something "explainable".

My mom never WANTED to believe because of her religion. She thought it went against what she does believe in ... God, Jesus, Heaven. But one day after explaining things I have seen and telling her I truly believe I have my grandpa here (her father) she decided she WANTED to believe he was here - to comfort and protect me and my children - it made her understand and accept it. She knows I'm not a loon and wouldn't just make it up, especially in connection with my grandpa. I explained that I didn't think it had to be an either/or thing. Just because one believes in heaven doesn't mean we can't have a spirit here and now. Maybe there is a in-between place. Maybe there are many different places for spirits to be. Maybe some spirits just have some unfinished business or maybe this is just the place they CHOOSE to be. I would love to think my grandpa wants to see my children grow up - he only met my older child. Perhaps he isn't ready to leave them behind without knowing they turned out ok... who knows!
2004 The Just Because Trip w/Nana & Papa in tow! yah! .2002 DH's 1st Trip .2000 Oldest DS's 1st Trip .
1982 My 1st (and only) Trip to DL .1980 My 1st Trip to WDW! I've never been the same since!
amsyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Still 40- late Fall 2002. My mother-in-law had died as well (the in-laws died 9 months apart...long year). Anyhow, she loved gardenias. One day I was bringing brush to our local transfer station. Right in the middle of the area where we are supposed to dump brush was a gardenia plant. There was literally not another piece of brush, branch, not a leaf, nothing in the "brush area" except for this gardenia plant. I brought it home. DH says "Where did you get that?". I said "Your mother sent it to me". He, of course, looked at me like I was nuts. I said "You'll see...she sent it to me". I nursed it through the winter of 2002-2003 and it bloomed in 2003....on Mother's Day. I brought my DH into the spare room where I kept it (I had a nice big windowsill) & showed it him. He then believed that his mother sent it to me.
This anecdote brought tears to my eyes. Just another example of what a good person you, and how loved you are.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
megveg
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

how can you not believe in ghosts? : I'm pretty sure most people on the DIS have visited a whole house full of them!

"Some days you eat the bear,
some days the bear eats you,
but always dress for the hunt!"
KUNGALOOSH!

Past Trips: 5/96' Offsite with Family
11/05' With my highschool Choir -ASMu
5/08' Graduation Trip - Shades of Green
5/09' Memorial Week Trip - Poly
Nov 2014: Homestead for NASCAR + a lil Disney/UO
megveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I've had things happen that are contrary to the laws of our universe more than once and seen the random ghost and had, I dunno, visitations? From people who have recently died.

I think you have to be willing to see what actually exists, rather than bound by your own determinations about what exists. The friends I have who refuse to believe in ghosts at all have determined ideas about things and that's all they can or do know. The rest they laugh off or ignore and presume themselves superior to those of us who trust the evidence of our own senses. (Huh. These are the same folks who commit the most political spam - on both sides of the fence - on Facebook. There might be a correlation there.)

OTOH, I generally dismiss any evidence that is not definitive as per ghosts -like shadows or random lights on photographs, or at least qualify it as "non-definitive". When things move by themselves, or I see an actual entity, those are what I count as "for reals." I usually smell things, not see them, but even that, even when I am 95% sure of what happened, I always qualify to myself.

Most recently, I had the heavy, heavy scent of cigarette smoke on me, with whiffs of roses and poop. (This will sound really weird and flakey, I know, but I always smell roses and poop around, well, what I guess are ghosts maybe.) I couldn't get rid of it. I heard a man say a name when I was alone in my car, so I went on Google and looked up the man's name along with a place that I somehow knew was associated with the guy.

A man with that man's name had died the day I started smelling cigarettes who was a former student of mine. The smell transmuted to roses eventually and went away. (After roses and poop, it usually goes over to roses. I can't explain it, I can just say that's what happens.)

It still puzzles and frustrates me. If it was the spirit of someone who'd just died, why come visit ME? I'm not family. I just tried to teach a kid about life and English literature a decade and a half ago.

Had lots of other things happen, things that can't be happenstance or hallucination, but I've told those on the DIS before.

ETA: I realized I wasn't quite fair in the above, as I also have friends who believe quite a bit too readily, sometimes imagining ghosts and spirits in every gust of breeze or odd shadow or bug flitting across a camera lens. They also tend to spam on Facebook, but not as badly. . .

Last edited by snarlingcoyote; 10-19-2012 at 06:54 PM.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #29
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I don't believe in anything supernatural though I find this to be boring! I actually go ghost hunting because I want to see something, but I've never had a single inexplicable experience.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Yes, I do.

And I've heard many stories from friends and clients that also lead me to the belief of someone's energy living on.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: