Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone
Do you really think that people will remember what others wore or looked like during their trip to the World?
and if they do, then they have missed out on the real memories!

Be proud of who you are and who cares what other's think!
A smile on your face is much better than what you are wearing!
(Unfortunately) We Americans are so large now that no one will notice. Unless you walk down Main St in daisy dukes...I doubt anyone will take a 2nd glance

I was heavier than I had ever been on our last trip (well except now I am heavier as I just had twins 6 weeks ago)...I just let go and enjoyed myself...and guess what? A CM slipped me his phone number LOL
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Do not be concerned about what other people think. Quite frankly, WDW is filled with extremely overweight people; more than I have ever seen in one place. No one will give you a second glance. Have a good time and stop worrying.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Treat yourself to some comfy sneakers, a few new outfits and enjoy your family! Start walking now to get ready. You will have a ball!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsmeow07 View Post
Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. And, yes, we CAN and WILL do this, and have fun!! As long as I avoid mirrors at the parks, I should be ok, just hate reminding myself what I currently look like. You're right, my kids and hubby adore me and no one else really matters. I just hope I don't run into some snickering idiot that will bring my day crashing down. It's hard to ignore jerky people. I just got to remember, life is too short, live for now!
I can't imagine anyone at the World acting like that - no jerks allowed in the World!!

I'm not pooh-sized now but I have been. I also battle a thyroid issue that affected my ability to lose weight for years before finally getting it under control. Going into this trip I was heavier than I've been in years & not at ALL happy with myself. But I decided I was giving myself time off for good behavior while on vacation- no stressing over how others perceive me, no worrying over every thing I put into my mouth. (I had spent months before the trip walking every day & watching my calorie intake to condition my leg muscles & try to trim as much as possible.) I focused on the JOY and my DD who hasn't been there since she was 4 & is essentially seeing all the magic for the first time all over again.

And you know what? I had a better time than I EVER remember having! (And I've got about 45 trips under my belt!) I didn't stress, didn't deny myself treats & stopped worrying about me.

So I was shocked when my clothes fit better at the end of our trip than they did at the beginning. I LOST 5 pounds in those 6 days from all the walking, despite all the junk I indulged in. We stayed well-hydrated so it wasn't water-weight loss & it actually helped kick-start my dedication to losing the rest once I got home.

Go, have fun & enjoy making lifelong memories with your beautiful family!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
wed100105
Mouseketeer

I weighed 220# on our last trip and still had a blast. I'm 5"5 inches and wear a size 18. I didn't have trouble at all.

One thing I do want to suggest is getting started with a good walking program. I have each time we've gone and I can't tell you how much it helps!

Enjoy your trip!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
Auntie Liz
Earning My Ears

So inspired!

Just read this thread and so inspired to go and have a good time. Some really good advice by all!! Whoo Hooo!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
Mom2Luci
Mouseketeer

I'm a solid size 22 and had no issues riding anything I wanted. My biggest fear was not being able to fit on the RNR, but I did! WDW is definitely size-friendly so go and enjoy yourself!
Mom2Luci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
sheilan
Earning My Ears

Um, I am a supersized woman at size 32/34 and 390 lb. I ease very worries about the trip when we went in September and it was needless. There were tons of other bbw women there...tons!! And the O LY ride I had an issue with was Kallie Ricer Rapids but the CM knew just what I needed to do to get the belt latched and it was qyuick and painless and we had a great time. I was told to avoid Space Mountain at my size so I did. I guess it can be a little snug for someone as big as me, but I am a pretty large woman.

NEXT TRIP December 2015 DCL (first cruise!) & WDW (Boardwalk hopefully)
9/2014 - AofA (Cars)
5/2013 - POR
9/2012 - POR
11/2008 - POP
4/2002 - Vacation Home
7/2001 - Vacation Home
6/2000 - HONEYMOON! 1st visit! Vacation Home

sheilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsmeow07 View Post
I've been so excited about my family's trip and have been planning everything for months. Suddenly, now I am feeling miserable because I wanted to lose weight for this trip but have had a hard time as I was just recently diagnosed with a thyroid disease that makes you gain weight, almost just by looking at food, LOL. I am taking meds but they have to start me out slow, so no weight loss yet. I feel like everyone will be looking at me, as I do resemble pooh bear, with a big round belly. And now I'm worried that I won't be comfortable on the rides. My DH is pooh sized too, but I feel like I will be an embarrassment. I should be happy, I have been to Disney many times, but this is the first trip with my DS 5, and my DD 12, who hasn't been there since she was 4. Help, any words of encouragement are welcome
Being a Pooh-sized guy myself, I can feel your pain. I was super worried about my trip that I just got back from about 3 days ago. However, I found that I had nothing to worry about (for the most part). Disney is super fat-friendly! In fact, the only ride at Disney that I didn't fit on was at DisneyQuest when I tried to ride CyberSpace Mountain. And even that had more to do with my height than my weight. They have this pin that has to click into notches on the seat, but the harness was hitting my shoulders to hard and wouldn't go down any further! However, everything else worked out just fine!

I would give you a suggestion.... Avoid Space Mountain. The back literally only comes up to your lower back, the seat is tiny (even though I did fit), and it flies around tight curves IN THE DARK! By the time I got off of it, my back was killing me from being wrenched back and fourth and left and right in the dark. Other than that.... ENJOY! Your trip will be great, I'm sure!
nfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #25
dobirdsmommy
Mouseketeer

I am still here and I am pooh sized too. Mostly 2 or 3 x. Only issue I had was at the pool with the old cackling ladies whom I said to myself I would rather be pooh sized then wrinkly and sagging how they were. I went on space mtn no issues. More kids would say mommy or daddy she has red hair and normally kids are the first to point out how heavy someone is.

dobirdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
monica9
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. Just forget about your weight and enjoy Disney. Worry about the weight after and don't let it ruin your vacation.
I was just recently diagnosed with hoshimotos hypothyroidism. It sucks and though I'm luckily not struggling with weight issues as one of my symptoms, I have almost every other symptom (eg extremely tired, dazed, memory fog, infertility, cold, swelling of joints). It sucks and though my tsh levels are under control, I still have these symptoms.
I would look into the paleo diet and its effects on thyroid. Google it. Also, the wheat belly. I am trying paleo as its had such in believable results with hypothyroidism. Look into it. Its very strict but something I feel anyone with this disease should try for at least 30 days. Of course I've only started it 10 days ago with a few cheat meals and only have 20 days before our vacation.
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
miklaur
Earning My Ears

I think it is wonderful how supportive and positive this thread is. We went to WDW in 2009 and I was quite supersized at that time. We are returning next August and I am only about 20 pounds lighter than last time. We had no issues whatsoever and I concur that WDW is super size friendly. Great thread - thanks!

miklaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

I have always been Pooh sized when I went to Disney World, and I have been there 20 times! I am smaller now than I have been in many years, thanks to adjusted medications and a Lap Band, but I will never be tiny. I brought my 3x bathing suit, and even went in the pools. So next trip the clothes will be smaller, but I am not a Roller Coaster person anyway, so doubt I will do anything different. Go, and enjoy... a PP is right, who remembers what anyone else looked like? Oh, except for the people in the Goofy hats, they always crack me up!
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #29
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but it seems that 90% of people at DW are obese. OP, don't worry about fitting in and good luck with the medical treatment.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Think future one year....Will you be happier if you took your kids to WDW...esp. the 5 year old which is probably the ideal time for a first trip as they "get it" but still think it is all magical...or would you be happier that you didn't go because you didn't like your weightgain due to a medical condition.
Think of the joy on the 5 year olds face and how the 12yr old will act like a kid again and not the annoying pre-teen that he/she is getting to be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: