Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
gapoochi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 184

Coronado Springs or Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista?

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry! I wasn't sure where it should go.

Ok...so the questions....given the option and only a couple hundred difference in price ($240 actually once adding in cost of airport transportation for Hilton with CSR being higher), which resort would you choose? I haven't been to either nor have I been to Disney World so it's so hard trying to envision what it will all be like and what would make the difference.

We are a family of 4 adults and 2 kids (4 and 7) and plan on spending the entire trip in the parks mostly. I want convenience, comfort and fun for the kids. Both places' rooms like great, not sure what else to base this on.

Any of you have great or terrible experiences in one or the other? Can you help me with the differences? I don't know as much about the differences of being on property vs off other than the airport transportation and emh. We probably won't do dining plan so that's not a consideration.

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by gapoochi; 11-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.
gapoochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
disconcierge
Earning My Ears
 
disconcierge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6

Is there a particular reason you are trying to decide between these two resorts?

I personally recommend always staying on property. The level of guest service along with the wealth of Disney knowledge makes a Disney Resort stay worth the extra expense. Not to mention complementary transportation to and from the airport and attractions as added benefits.
__________________
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
disconcierge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
gapoochi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 184

well...in my search for an affordable but still nice place for my group, I ended up being offered a flex price for Coronado when calling in to ask questions (I had only been looking at value resorts before that) and I was looking at the Hilton because they get the emh as well. I don't know how useful they will be but my kids are up at 6am kids normally, figured we might be able to take advantage of them.
I'm just not sure of anything, still trying to wrap my head around the whole size and scale of it all (we've only been to DL previously and stayed walking distance away...things seem more complicated here lol Looking forward to the experience but I think I'm driving myself a little nuts in the preparing part)

Last edited by gapoochi; 11-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.
gapoochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
disconcierge
Earning My Ears
 
disconcierge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapoochi View Post
well...in my search for an affordable but still nice place for my group, I ended up being offered a flex price for Coronado when calling in to ask questions (I had only been looking at value resorts before that) and I was looking at the Hilton because they get the emh as well. I don't know how useful they will be but my kids are up at 6am kids normally, figured we might be able to take advantage of them.
I'm just not sure of anything, still trying to wrap my head around the whole size and scale of it all (we've only been to DL previously and stayed walking distance away...things seem more complicated here lol Looking forward to the experience but I think I'm driving myself a little nuts in the preparing part)

Coronado is a very nice resort, just be aware that the resort itself is more oriented to conventions and large groups. While the guest service here will be exceptional, you may have fewer "magical" moments at this resort compared to another Disney Resort. It really just depends on what conventions are scheduled during your vacations.

How large is your group? Have you considered any other Disney Resorts that are also included in the "moderate" category? Those resorts would include Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter as well as Caribbean Beach. These resorts are more family vacation oriented.

I know it can be overwhelming because there are so many options. But I can almost guarantee that you vacation will go a whole lot smoother if you choose a Disney Resort option.

The key to stress free is to stay with Disney
__________________
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
disconcierge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
gapoochi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconcierge View Post
Coronado is a very nice resort, just be aware that the resort itself is more oriented to conventions and large groups. While the guest service here will be exceptional, you may have fewer "magical" moments at this resort compared to another Disney Resort. It really just depends on what conventions are scheduled during your vacations.

How large is your group? Have you considered any other Disney Resorts that are also included in the "moderate" category? Those resorts would include Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter as well as Caribbean Beach. These resorts are more family vacation oriented.

I know it can be overwhelming because there are so many options. But I can almost guarantee that you vacation will go a whole lot smoother if you choose a Disney Resort option.

The key to stress free is to stay with Disney
I've priced the other ones out and none of them come close to the price we got for this. We have 2 adults and 2 kids for 9 days and another 2 adults for 5 of those days. So we looked at doing separate rooms but having the join.

DEF agree about trying to be stress free...that's why I'm leaning a lot toward Coronado over Hilton. Just trying to justify the extra...both are above what I already wanted to spend but we're just going to do it and splurge a bit.

What do you mean less magical moments? Is it not as themed? what do some of the other resorts have/offer that this doesn't? LOL I don't want to miss anything but can't spend any more.

thanks so much!
gapoochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
disconcierge
Earning My Ears
 
disconcierge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapoochi View Post
I've priced the other ones out and none of them come close to the price we got for this. We have 2 adults and 2 kids for 9 days and another 2 adults for 5 of those days. So we looked at doing separate rooms but having the join.

DEF agree about trying to be stress free...that's why I'm leaning a lot toward Coronado over Hilton. Just trying to justify the extra...both are above what I already wanted to spend but we're just going to do it and splurge a bit.

What do you mean less magical moments? Is it not as themed? what do some of the other resorts have/offer that this doesn't? LOL I don't want to miss anything but can't spend any more.

thanks so much!
I shouldn't say "less magical".....

Coronado is a great resort, and the theming is beautiful! It can just be a little bit of a risk depending on what conventions or groups are currently at the resort.

Seeing business suits and convention groups just takes a little bit of that "magic" feel away from the resort. A tiny detail which shouldn't impact your decision, especially considering all off property locations are bound to have the same issues.

I'm sure your vacation will be full of magical memories regardless of where you choose to stay!
__________________
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
disconcierge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Maiden
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 59

We have stayed at all mods except French Quarter. CSR is definitely our favorite. Some will say it has less "Disney" theming but we find the resort beautiful and the rooms very nice (queen beds too) . We prefer the Cabanas area, and find most convention-goers over in the Casistas (although we have been happy there as well). The convention centre is fairly seperate from the rest of El Centro, and the pools a little less busy because it's a convention resort, and the main pool is great.

The CSR resort is very spread out and more walking to get around. We don't mind this at all but some people do. We find the bus system at CSR really good as it doesn't share with other resorts. Not sure what the transportation is like from Hilton, you might want to check that out.

The food court at CSR gets mixed reviews. We have always liked it but the setup is a bit different than other resorts, and some report longer waits for food. We have always been very happy with food & service, but tend to come at non peak times of the year.

You mention that you plan to spend most of your time in parks. With young children you may want to consider ease of transportation to & from your resort. Most experienced disney goers with kids will suggest early am to the parks, with a return to the resort for a rest or swim in the afternoon when parks get really busy. If you don't do this many kids ( and adults) can get very overtired after the first few days.

One more comment: the childern are perfect ages for character meals, and early am breakfast reservations can get you into the parks before they open. Walking down Mainstreet in MK when it's almost empty at 7:30 am for the first time with our children was THE most magical experience we have ever had at Disney. Breakfast at Crystal Palace was fantastic, then on to the park at rope drop at the Castle - Best. Day. Ever.

Have a great trip!
__________________
Mar 04 off site
Nov 05 AKL,ASMo
Jan 07 CBR
Jan 08 POR
Dec 08-CSR
Dec 09-CSR
Feb 11- Poly
Nov 12- CBR
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
gapoochi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 184

Thank you guys for the reviews...I've decided to stick to CSR! We're going to be there the second week of Dec...I hope it isn't too cold to enjoy the pool!

We did make reservations for the princess breakfast in Epcot early in the morning, I couldn't find an opening for the castle one. I'm really looking forward to being there early when it isn't crowded and the kids are still energetic and happy (they are best in the morning)
I will def take your advise on going back to the room in the afternoons on the longer days but so many of the days we're there, the parks aren't open very late so we'll play that by ear.
Any suggestions on character meals that are better for older boys (almost 8 years old?) He is saying he doesn't want to do one since they sound more "babyish" in his words lol

Thank you guys so much! I'm calling today to make the reservation final; I need to look closer at what to request. I would love to be near the dig area and busses. Hammocks look fantastic!

Last edited by gapoochi; 11-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.
gapoochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapoochi View Post
Thank you guys for the reviews...I've decided to stick to CSR! We're going to be there the second week of Dec...I hope it isn't too cold to enjoy the pool!

We did make reservations for the princess breakfast in Epcot early in the morning, I couldn't find an opening for the castle one. I'm really looking forward to being there early when it isn't crowded and the kids are still energetic and happy (they are best in the morning)
I will def take your advise on going back to the room in the afternoons on the longer days but so many of the days we're there, the parks aren't open very late so we'll play that by ear.
Any suggestions on character meals that are better for older boys (almost 8 years old?) He is saying he doesn't want to do one since they sound more "babyish" in his words lol

Thank you guys so much! I'm calling today to make the reservation final; I need to look closer at what to request. I would love to be near the dig area and busses. Hammocks look fantastic!
Good choice! We have not stayed at CSR because the theme doesn't really appeal to us, but I would stay there in a heartbeat if it came down to CSR and staying off site.
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran
 
FantasiaMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 845

I agree with PPs... I recommend staying on property. Having those special Disney amenities that you can't get at any other resort are just great.

Disney transporatation is very helpful - esp if you don't have a car. It takes you to all the parks the wps and DTD.

Disney resorts also have really nice pools - CS I hear has the best slide out of the mods on property!!

Staying on property just keeps you in magic. The resorts are also themed accordingly and are very pretty.

Have a great time in the world when you go!

-FantasiaMagic
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran
 
FantasiaMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapoochi View Post
Thank you guys for the reviews...I've decided to stick to CSR! We're going to be there the second week of Dec...I hope it isn't too cold to enjoy the pool!

We did make reservations for the princess breakfast in Epcot early in the morning, I couldn't find an opening for the castle one. I'm really looking forward to being there early when it isn't crowded and the kids are still energetic and happy (they are best in the morning)
I will def take your advise on going back to the room in the afternoons on the longer days but so many of the days we're there, the parks aren't open very late so we'll play that by ear.
Any suggestions on character meals that are better for older boys (almost 8 years old?) He is saying he doesn't want to do one since they sound more "babyish" in his words lol

Thank you guys so much! I'm calling today to make the reservation final; I need to look closer at what to request. I would love to be near the dig area and busses. Hammocks look fantastic!

That's great your staying there! I hope you have a great time! And you should be ok to swim in December. I have gone in January and Feb and was able to swim a lot both times. It might jst get a little chilly at night.

Again have a great time!
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran
 
ExpatDisneyLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.
Posts: 2,026

I love CSR and do think staying on property for your first trip will be very magical indeed! I think they have really nice Christmas decorations at CSR as well. Of all the mods CSR is one I'd book in a heartbeat!
__________________
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
New Trip Report HKDL http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
BridgetBordeaux
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,996

Your kids will definitely love the pool at CSR. Be sure to bring your camera to the pool and get a couple of pictures.
__________________
Fort Wilderness 1972, 1978
Honeymoon 1993 offsite
Shades of Green Sept 2000, April 2006, June 2008, Sept 2008, June 2009
POP Dec 2009, June/Sept 2010, June/Sept 2011, May/Sept 2012, May/Sept 2013, May/Sept 2014
BridgetBordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
afcgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 678

Good choice, I have stayed at both (Hilton for one night) and definitely prefer CSR. While the rooms at the Hilton were nice, the scenery and amenities at CSR are nicer and it has more of a Disney feel.

Have fun!
__________________
Stayed at:

July 2004: Wilderness lodge/Disney Wonder
July 2005: POR
March 2006: Pop Century
August 2006: Wilderness Lodge
July 2007: Polynesian Resort
July 2008: Coronado Springs
July 2-11, 2009: Coronado Springs
March 2011: Coronado Springs
March 2012: Coronado Springs
March 2013: The Swan
Upcoming: March 2014: The Yacht Club!!!
afcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
marylandgirl
Mouseketeer
 
marylandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 78

CSR is great for your aged children. The bus service is the best of the moderate resorts. Also, the pool is one of the largest. You will like it. Definitely better to stay at onsite resort. Definitely take advantage of EMH, as you can get more rides/shows done earlier before crowds. Chef Mickey's at Contemporary is great for a character meal, veryfun, even for the older kids. OHana's breakfast is also fun for kids this age, as they do fun games and parade. Our kids also enjoy eating at the Sci-Fi Dinner Theatre in Disney Studios, where you get to sit in what feels like real cars and looks like you are in a drive-in movie theatre. Have fun!
marylandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.