Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
FamilyG
Earning My Ears

January Weather n first time

Hi Family of 5 from the UK spending a week in Orlando over new years and on the Fantasy 5 January 2013.

We are spending new years eve at Disney Studios and visiting some of the parks and need an idea if we need our winter woolies or will it be reasonably warm. Over here in Manchester it will be freezing at new years.

Looking forward to first cruise and hope it warms up further on way down to grand cayman and cc.

G
FamilyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Weedy
DIS Veteran

It usually is warm but can be cold. You will be good with jeans and a sweat shirt/hoodie. There have been years where even us thin blooded Floridians have been swimming in a heated pool on Christmas day. Here is a link that you can see the temps from previous years.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weathe...20/2008/01/01/

Last edited by Weedy; 10-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I don't think Grand Cayman will be cold. You will likely need something a little cooler than jeans to wear. Probably will need shorts.

Florida and maybe Bahamas will likely be on the cooler side (then again, it will probably still be much warmer than the UK at that time of the year)
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We've learned from our past mistakes. Now I always bring one outfit of a heavy sweatshirt or jacket and pants for each person. Most of the time we don't need them, but you should have seen the bill the time I had to buy them at Disney prices!

Most of the time you'll be fine during the say and cool in the evenings at the parks. Less cool at night on the ship, but you'll still need a light wrap.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
We've learned from our past mistakes. Now I always bring one outfit of a heavy sweatshirt or jacket and pants for each person. Most of the time we don't need them, but you should have seen the bill the time I had to buy them at Disney prices!

Most of the time you'll be fine during the say and cool in the evenings at the parks. Less cool at night on the ship, but you'll still need a light wrap.
We've had the same experience with WDW in Jan. I remember one year it even snowed at Daytona Beach, but it was only a few flakes that disappeared rather quickly. We didn't have to buy any sweatshirts because we wore them while driving to WDW from Pennsylvania. If you have room in the suitcase, I would definitely recommend bringing a heavy sweatshirt just in case.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyG
Hi Family of 5 from the UK spending a week in Orlando over new years and on the Fantasy 5 January 2013.

We are spending new years eve at Disney Studios and visiting some of the parks and need an idea if we need our winter woolies or will it be reasonably warm. Over here in Manchester it will be freezing at new years.

Looking forward to first cruise and hope it warms up further on way down to grand cayman and cc.

G
I'm a native Floridian and I didn't even own a winter coat until middle school when we went skiing in Utah. Then I didn't own another until I went to college (and it's still in great shape 15 years later because it sits in the closet gathering dust!). So, no, don't bring your winter woollies . As others have said, a hoodie, sweatshirt, or fall jacket should do the trick.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

January weather in Florida can be temperamental. I usually wear capris with a t shirt and a light weight jacket. But on year, I needed a big warm coat and gloves. Id pack clothes you can layer. And I'd bring gloves, a hat and scarf just in case....you probably will not need it....but you never know

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
FamilyG
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the advice - that will save on some of the packing. Just checked average highs and lows for florida in january and they come out at 70/50 (evening).

Incredibly the average monthly temperature in Manchester, UK is under 70 even in the summer months. Must emigrate to Southern Europe or further afield!

Ta very much.

G
Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

Hey Family G, we're on the same cruise with ya! We sailed the Magic a few years ago for a New Year's cruise. The weather was great (80s). A storm came in for the last few days and it cooled down and got a tad windy, but it was a great trip. We're hoping for the same this time around (only 77 days to go!!). My plan: if it's stormy and cold you can find me in Skyline bar with a drink or two to warm me up!!!!! See ya on the Fantasy!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Down Under Minnies
Earning My Ears

Compared to UK winter weather.... you will feel like you are in heaven!

Yum!: We can't wait for another holiday and another Mickey Icecream!
Down Under Minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

My WDW visit in late January 2012 was the first of 5 January visits where the weather was reasonably warm all week. Evening temps in mid-December 2010 dropped to below freezing at night, and even as a Midwesterner - I was unprepared! You may not need a bulky winter jacket, but definitely bring layers.

I was at WDW this day! http://www.mysentimentexactlee.com/t...-ill-equipped/ That reminds me...I need to buy new gloves before my December WDW trip + cruise!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
FamilyG
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the help - sounds like hope its warm and have sweatshirts, hats and gloves at the ready just in case.

Given the UK weather probably feel hot hot hot.

G
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Talking

Were on the same cruise too!!!!!!!!!!

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
janeyb
Mouseketeer

Hi there,

I am also from the UK and went on our first cruise at the beginning of February last year.

Living 2 minutes from the beach here in South Devon I am used to daily dog walks in bracing weather conditions and thought reading average temperatures in Florida that we would think that even on a cold Florida day that us Brits would be thinking how warm it was.

Not the case!!!! - The day we set sail I was so miserable with cold as the weather was FREEZING. The only 'warm' clothing that I had packed was 3/4 jeans, ballet style pumps (the only thing I took on holiday that covered my toes) and a very good quality Musto Fleece. I spent the entire journey to PC wishing I had bought my Ugg boots and North Face with me!!!

We could only stay at the Sail Away party for 5 minutes as my two daughters (5 & 7 at the time) were so cold in fleece lined coats that we had to return to our cabin. Also the buffet (Cabanas) was so busy when we boarded (because everyone was having to sit inside due to cold weather), they were rushing us through as noone could find a spare table. I wish I had gone straight to table service restaurant. Something to bear in mind if you board on a cold day, it would have been far more relaxing.

I'm guessing this cold weather was fairly unusual though, thankfully the rest of the cruise was fine (like a great summers day in the UK). My children are used to swimming in the sea here in Devon during the summer on a daily basis so they were fine in the Sea in the Bahamas, although I found it really chilly.

We have been to Florida during most months including Nov/Dec/Jan and like others have said the weather really can be changeable from one day to the next. In December/January I have started the day in a thick sweatshirt and Ugg boots and by the afternoon been swimming in the pool. So I would take something warm 'just in case'.

You'll have an amazing time. My girls still won't stop talking about the cruise and loved every single minute. We had booked to go again but had to cancel due to; "The Magic of Disney" - a brand new baby sleeping soundly next to me as I type! Hopefully we'll get to go again next year.

Have a wonderful trip.
janeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
FamilyG
Earning My Ears

Getting closer - hows the weather in florida right now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: