Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I have been upgraded, it just depends on how booked they are. Our last trip at AKL in late August, we booked pool view, and no upgrade. Resort was at 100% capacity. So I was really glad I booked pool view and not standard view with hope of upgrade.
I would book a room you will be happy with, and if you get an upgrade it's icing on the cake.
I've never asked.

I have all my room requests attached to my reservation, you have to phone reservations, and ask.

Have a great trip.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I don't know about everyone else but when i get back to my room the only view i care to see is the back of my eye lids!!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
JanB
DIS Veteran

At AKL, the Standard rooms are basically those rooms that cannot be classified as either Pool View or Savannah View. The Standard rooms won't have much of a view at all ---- parking lot, loading dock, that sort of thing. That's the downside of the AKL Standard ---- the view is less than desireable. I don't think that there is much point in making a special room request if you have a Standard room reserved.

The upside is that there really are not very many Standard rooms at AKL. The chances of them being overbooked are good. The other upside (in my opinion) is that it allows you to stay at AKL for a much more reasonable price than Savannah View. There are LOTS of public areas where you can view the animals.

If the Savannah View is not in your budget, an option to consider is a Pool View. If I recall correctly (and I certainly might be wrong), the cost of a Pool View is closer to the cost of a Standard than it is to the cost of a Savannah View. If you do not get an upgrade, then you still have a pleasant view from your room.
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
cwt580
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
At AKL, the Standard rooms are basically those rooms that cannot be classified as either Pool View or Savannah View. The Standard rooms won't have much of a view at all ---- parking lot, loading dock, that sort of thing. That's the downside of the AKL Standard ---- the view is less than desireable. I don't think that there is much point in making a special room request if you have a Standard room reserved.

The upside is that there really are not very many Standard rooms at AKL. The chances of them being overbooked are good. The other upside (in my opinion) is that it allows you to stay at AKL for a much more reasonable price than Savannah View. There are LOTS of public areas where you can view the animals.

If the Savannah View is not in your budget, an option to consider is a Pool View. If I recall correctly (and I certainly might be wrong), the cost of a Pool View is closer to the cost of a Standard than it is to the cost of a Savannah View. If you do not get an upgrade, then you still have a pleasant view from your room.
think $10 more a night for pool view. well worth the $$$

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
You will find out when you check-in. I've never heard of anyone being told the real reason for the upgrade.
Only times I've heard of someone being told the reason is when it's being done to resolve a room problem that the customer discovered [ie, Snake in the Room].
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Only times I've heard of someone being told the reason is when it's being done to resolve a room problem that the customer discovered [ie, Snake in the Room].
Somebody would ask to be moved just because a snake was in the room? Cowards, cmon dudes, it's Florida.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Angels
We booked a split stay once with the first 2 nights at the Poly for my daughter's birthday. We were checking out and then moving over to POR to get free dining. I went to check out, and just asked the price difference to stay at the Poly the entire time because we loved it so much. When she told me it was over $1000+, I said no thanks and walked off. The manager met me at the door and asked me if I would like to stay. He upgraded us at no charge!!! We stayed 6 more nights at the Poly for the price of POR.
I do know that my friend, who was checking in at POR the same day said their computers were down and it was a crazy nightmare over there. She waited hours to get checked in. I am thinking that the manager must have known the mess that I was about to walk into, and just did it because of that. We were thrilled though!!
Now that's what I call great service!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki7680
We received an upgrade on our honeymoon. We were booked garden view at GF. When we checked in we asked how much it would be a night to upgrade our room. The CM gave us a price and we agreed to it. she then made another call and told us that our upgrade would be complimentary! We ended up getting a gorgeous room with one balcony facing MK and another balcony facing the Poly. To this day my DH and I feel we got the upgrade for free because we had been willing to pay for it.
Wow, that's awesome!!!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

In some cases, they intentionally overbook the lowest price category (standard). If they are having problems filling the higher priced (savannah view), they will overbook the lower priced one and plan to offer upgrades. I think that's why you hear of frequent upgrades at AKL.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog

Well my room is already paid for, so that part is done. So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.
We were upgraded first before the trip. I got an email from disney offering a free upgrade to OKW from value and thought it was a hoax. But, it was disney and it was for real. So then my documents were modified and resent with OKW. We were rebooked to a 1 br room villa. When we got there, they checked us in and didn't say anything, and when we got to our room it was a 2 bd room. I nearly fainted. They told us it was "disney magic". We asked for nothing and did online checkin. I think the original upgrade was bc it was FD and they were booking up the values, and wanted more space. Ok by me. A coworker of mine went the week before, and she got the email but never called.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

As other people have said, never ask for an upgrade. I have never personally been upgraded but when my cousin stayed at AKL a few years ago they were upgraded from standard view to savannah view. They were told all the standard rooms were occupied, even though they had already booked and paid for their room in advance.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
DeborahA
DIS Veteran

Never had an upgrade in over 25 trips, but we have received some pixie dust. On several anniversary trips, balloons and treats in our room after a day in the parks. Several cards and balloons in room on arrival for birthdays. We have stayed in all level of resorts. We always book the room that we can afford and have a great time. I have read on the boards of many wonderful upgrades but I really think in the volume of rooms booked on a daily basis, they are rare.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
awoogala
Mouseketeer

we have never been upgraded, but I think it has a lot to do with time of year. Since most upgrades seem to be due to overbooking, I would guess traveling in September or January is not going to work in our favor! ;-)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

We received an upgrade at the Contemporary years ago.... we were staying there only one night pre-convention and had booked the cheapest room available. When we checked in they had upgraded us to floor 14 - concierge level, a room with wall to wall windows looking out over the lake, I believe they called it a junior suite. Very nice!

Also, I second the notion that you do NOT ask for the upgrade. I work at an airline; if I have a first class seat available it goes to the person I select, not the person who has asked for it!

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
aprestwich
Mouseketeer

We were upgraded when checking into the Yacht Club last year from a Standard Room to one of the Turret Suites! Now, the circumstances were that it was 7:00pm and our room wasn't ready yet. I asked and offered to pay for an upgrade so that we could get into a room. The CM made a call to their central reservations and came back with a free upgrade to the suite.

Reasons for the upgrade? I was nice about it and offered to pay for a simple upgrade, we come to Disney and stay A LOT and probably to make us happy in a somewhat awkward situation. We were also only staying two nights.

Bottom line is if you really want an upgrade, be prepared to pay for it. You can always say no, it's too much, thanks for the offer and we'll stick with the original room. My guess as with most hotels, as long as the room is available they will do it for free to keep the client happy.

Andrew
November 2013 (7 Days) - Yacht Club then Disney Fantasy 7 Day Western Cruise!
May 2013 (12 Days) - Yacht Club
November 2012 (15 Days) - Port Orleans French Quarter & Art of Animation (Nemo!)
March 2012 (5 Days) - Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2011 (12 Days) - Yacht Club, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, Contemporary Resort
March 2011 (14 Days) -Port Orleans French Quarter, Coronado Springs Resort, Grand Floridian (Club Level), Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club (Club Level) & Contemporary Resort
December 2010 (8 Days) - Port Orleans French Quarter & Wilderness Lodge Villas
September 2010 (12 Days) - Boardwalk, Coronado Springs & Polyneasian
April 2010 (12 Days) - Saratoga Springs Resort & Wilderness Lodge
January 2010 (2 Days) - Wilderness Lodge
Sept. 2009 (12 Days) - Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Springs Resort & Polynesian
Feb. 2009 (8 Days) - Offsite, Animal Kingdom Lodge & Caribbean Beach plus 7 Days on the Disney Magic

Yes, if you are counting that over 100 days in Walt Disney World in just over 4 years!
aprestwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

In all my 30+ stays at WDW, we've only been offered two upgrades. One was during YOMD...dh checked into YC (for business) and he was upgraded to concierge!! I was staying at BWV, across the lake with my two dd's..he had to stay at YC due to business/convention. But since our youngest dd had arrived with him, she got concierge as well....even though she moved over to be with me for her short stay.
Then, when we checked into the CR, the day Hurricane Charley arrived, we found we had been given a lake view, vs the parking lot view we had booked. I believe that was our TA's doing though.
Other than those two times??? Never. We do hear about many upgrades happening due to Disney overbooking the values. THen, they can offer SSR to some since there will be plenty of people that stay at the values. And some think that it's a terrific upgrade. BUT, many don't. They booked Pop for a reason..they don't want to be at SSR. So, they politely decline the offer.

But in all reality? Upgrades just don't happen all that often..and never if you ask for one. It usually is something that benefits Disney.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: