Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #31
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsheppo View Post
I went to the neighbors with the bills I currently had and asked how they wanted to take care of the matter. I think the owner was taken aback that I was so brazen to come over and ask for payment. I got their name, phone number and asked if they had homeowners insurance and the name of the company. They said they did and I told them they needed to file a liability claim with their company. The lady told me, "Oh, I guess I will see if I can find some time to call tomorrow."

I decided to not wait for her to see if she could find the time and called the insurance myself. The company was extremely nice and took my statement and gave me a claim number. I was told a claims adjuster would be calling in the next 24 hours to go over the claims process and get copies of the bills. So at least it looks like we will be reimbursed for our vet bills.

I'm just grateful that the dog didn't go after my DD who came out in the garage during the attack.

Thank you to everyone for your prayers and good thoughts. The new vet where she was sent this morning said that her prognosis is good.
I think I'd have given them the opportunity to take care of this on their own before intervening. It may have been cheaper in the long run for them NOT to go through their insurance. That said, I can't take too much issue with what you did given their nonchalant attitude toward what happened as well as their attitude toward pet containment.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #32
mrsheppo
Mom to 11 and still partially sane
Isn't Heppo one of the Marx Brothers?

The vet called today and said Bella is making amazing progress and will be released to come home tomorrow! She is doing better than expected and the vet said last night she ate solid food for the first time since the incident and wants to be cuddled. We can't wait for her to come home. We are going to have to keep extra watch on her when she goes out in the backyard as the dog is still next door and we are afraid she is going to be terrified.

Also after contacting my neighbor's insurance, an adjuster called me back today to tell me her insurance was canceled back in June and she has no coverage. We will probably never get reimbursement for all the expenses but just glad our Bella is still with us.

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. They have been answered!

mrsheppo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Glad to hear Bella is doing so well!!

Meriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
low-key
DIS Veteran

oh my, Im a huge animal lover, I wish I would have seen this yesterday so I could have prayed, but thats great update (but not financially)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #35
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

You still can go to small claims court and after a certain amount of time they attach interest and such. If the neighbors ever buy another house or car your claim can be attached to it. This is how is worked for us in NY. I would have to find out the paperwork that our attorney did but I will find out if you want to.

I would not feel bad going to court they are responsible.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Oh that is great news! The strength and ability to survive in animals will never fail to amaze me. Your little girl is quite a fighter. Glad she will be home tomorrow and you can give her all the cuddling she wants and deserves. Even if I have to sit up all night with them I always feel better to have them home to watch and take care of.

Great news thanks for sharing.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #37
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
You still can go to small claims court and after a certain amount of time they attach interest and such. If the neighbors ever buy another house or car your claim can be attached to it. This is how is worked for us in NY. I would have to find out the paperwork that our attorney did but I will find out if you want to.

I would not feel bad going to court they are responsible.
Agreed! Just read through this thread, so glad your lil doggie is healing! But I don't think it is right that your poor dog got mauled and someone is responsible for it because they weren't taking care of their pet like they should.
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #38
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Great news.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #39
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
The vet called today and said Bella is making amazing progress and will be released to come home tomorrow! She is doing better than expected and the vet said last night she ate solid food for the first time since the incident and wants to be cuddled. We can't wait for her to come home. We are going to have to keep extra watch on her when she goes out in the backyard as the dog is still next door and we are afraid she is going to be terrified.

Also after contacting my neighbor's insurance, an adjuster called me back today to tell me her insurance was canceled back in June and she has no coverage. We will probably never get reimbursement for all the expenses but just glad our Bella is still with us.

Wonderful News! So very Happy for you and Bella

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #40
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:

Wait, the dog is still outside next door, unattended? That violates the 10 day containment, big time! Please call the police and let them know the situation, before a worse tragedy occurs!
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #41
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Wait, the dog is still outside next door, unattended? That violates the 10 day containment, big time! Please call the police and let them know the situation, before a worse tragedy occurs!
I think it does too. I think that a dog must be on a leash, but I suppose it might vary from location to location. It would make me feel good to have them hit with another ticket since they are so irresponsible.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #42
DisReno
Mouseketeer

I am sorry...Are people on the Dis really that clueless? Your dog was attacked and your daughter could have been put at risk, and all some people say is "Glad for the happy news" and "so happy", etc.

Your dog was ATTACKED and your neighbors should have some consequences. If you were told that they canceled their insurance, and the dog was still in the backyard, I would call animal control and the police. In addition, shouldn't the vet be calling the police? I know in CA it is the law.

In no way, would I be happy, Disboards "glad for the good news" and bring my dog home and not be pitching a huge fit with the neighbors.

I am glad your dog will survive, but I would still be doing whatever I could do get reimbursement and to get some admission of responsibiity from the neighbors.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #43
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
I got bit by a Jack Russel Terrior and I was in tears and upset, until I came on the DIS and asked too. I was told that rabies are pretty much non-existance from dogs. But why would a German Shepherd attack your puppy like that. Than again I will never trust that bread of dog. We have 2 that roam our back yard. They are well trained, but I will never trust them with our dog outside. Yes the dogs have met, but I still have my worries.

Glad your Bella is doing better. What a nitemare.
It is a highly trainable and extremely smart breed of dog. It's too bad you have bias against it.

OP, as an owner of a GSD, I am so sorry that this happened to your family and your poor dog. Please don't think that all of us are irresponsible with this breed. Most of us know how powerful these animals are so we maintain control of them at all times.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
mrsheppo
Mom to 11 and still partially sane
Isn't Heppo one of the Marx Brothers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisReno View Post
I am sorry...Are people on the Dis really that clueless? Your dog was attacked and your daughter could have been put at risk, and all some people say is "Glad for the happy news" and "so happy", etc.

Your dog was ATTACKED and your neighbors should have some consequences. If you were told that they canceled their insurance, and the dog was still in the backyard, I would call animal control and the police. In addition, shouldn't the vet be calling the police? I know in CA it is the law.

In no way, would I be happy, Disboards "glad for the good news" and bring my dog home and not be pitching a huge fit with the neighbors.

I am glad your dog will survive, but I would still be doing whatever I could do get reimbursement and to get some admission of responsibiity from the neighbors.
According to Animal Control, as long as the animal is current on its vaccinations, it can remain in a fenced backyard for the quarantine. The vet has notified Animal Control and we have also. I have made numerous phone calls and I have been told there is nothing more that can be done unless the animal is running loose.

The neighbors are never home and they do not answer their phone calls. The neighbors are irresponsible pet owners as far as I am concerned and we plan on continuing to persue payment from them. Since they will be moving soon due to foreclosure, we will probably never hear from them again.

I appreciate everyone's kind words on Bella's progress. She is home now and doing well.

mrsheppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #45
DisReno
Mouseketeer

Quote:
According to Animal Control, as long as the animal is current on its vaccinations, it can remain in a fenced backyard for the quarantine. The vet has notified Animal Control and we have also. I have made numerous phone calls and I have been told there is nothing more that can be done unless the animal is running loose.

The neighbors are never home and they do not answer their phone calls. The neighbors are irresponsible pet owners as far as I am concerned and we plan on continuing to persue payment from them. Since they will be moving soon due to foreclosure, we will probably never hear from them again.

I appreciate everyone's kind words on Bella's progress. She is home now and doing well.
This just makes me so MAD. Why is it okay that your dog got assaulted and these people get away with it? It just infuriates me. Honestly. I am glad your dog is okay, and I would have gone to any expense as a dog owner to see that she had what she needed. But I don't get why it's okay that these dog owners get away with it.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: