Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

So sad, don't know what to do!!

I am so heartbroken right now, I don't know what to do!! We were suppossed to sail on the Fantasy September 22-29, 2012, but the day before we embarked... I had to come home due to my mother having a severe illness. So, I called Disney Cruise Guest Services and they were very understanding... (her name is Amanda by the way, a very sweet and compassionate person!), she allowed me to push the sailing back and "parked" it on Nov of 2013. I had to pay $100/person ($600 total) and fax a statement from the hospital. She told me to call her when I am ready with a date and as long as its the same ship/itinerary/price point, there would be no other charges. Well, I called both yesterday and today and spoke with Guest services (Amanda is out till Monday)... and they want me to pay the difference... even if I DOWNGRADE to inside cabins!!! Yes, we could wait for another sail date... but... my mother ended up passing away that week that I went home and we promised my dad we would bring him along with us. I've already given him the date... he's getting his clothes packed and he is trying to keep his mind focused on that instead of missing my mother... So are we I really don't know what to do now... We really can't afford anymore than we have already spent... I'm literally sick to my stomach right now

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
CeCeGarrett
Mouseketeer

Nov of 2013? Or did you mean 2012? If it's 2012, have you checked the Kids Sail Free offer out of Galveston, TX? You might be able to make up the difference in cost. I am so sorry for your loss.
CeCeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry about your loss! My mother passed away in April and we were very close to cancelling our cruise because it was so sudden. I am going to assume here that you had no trip insurance?

I would wait until Monday and talk to Amanda again. It sounds like you are getting conflicting information to what she originally told you. Start with her and go from there.

I really hope it works out with no further costs. Good luck.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheriot View Post
I am so heartbroken right now, I don't know what to do!! We were suppossed to sail on the Fantasy September 22-29, 2012, but the day before we embarked... I had to come home due to my mother having a severe illness. So, I called Disney Cruise Guest Services and they were very understanding... (her name is Amanda by the way, a very sweet and compassionate person!), she allowed me to push the sailing back and "parked" it on Nov of 2013. I had to pay $100/person ($600 total) and fax a statement from the hospital. She told me to call her when I am ready with a date and as long as its the same ship/itinerary/price point, there would be no other charges. Well, I called both yesterday and today and spoke with Guest services (Amanda is out till Monday)... and they want me to pay the difference... even if I DOWNGRADE to inside cabins!!! Yes, we could wait for another sail date... but... my mother ended up passing away that week that I went home and we promised my dad we would bring him along with us. I've already given him the date... he's getting his clothes packed and he is trying to keep his mind focused on that instead of missing my mother... So are we I really don't know what to do now... We really can't afford anymore than we have already spent... I'm literally sick to my stomach right now
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved mom.

The bad news is that DCL's policy is absolutely no refund if cancelled within 14 days of cruise date. This means, assuming you had no cruise insurance, you lose your entire cost of the cruise. That means no applying of funds, transferring to another cruise etc.

The good news is that it sounds like they are letting you apply what you have paid for that cruise to another one. That being said, you will need to pay the difference for the new cruise.

First off, if you do have cruise insurance, be sure to file a claim right away.

You may want to check into some last minute cruises that offer the discounted fares that you can read about here on the Cruise Board. You should be able to see them if you go onto DCL's website and pull up some dates in October/November. Perhaps DCL may let you apply your funds towards one of those.

Wish I had more advice for you, but it does sound like DCL is cutting you a break by not keeping all the money that you paid for the cruise you cancelled. Hugs and good luck...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Call Amanda on Monday....and good luck! Sorry for your loss and the situation, but it sounds like Amanda and DCL are doing more for you than their policy says they must.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

I think that's what I'll do... I'll wait to call Amanda on Monday. I'll be praying all weekend for a miracle... I realize it was nice of them just to push it back for me... and i do appreciate it. I would have missed the most treasured week of my life with my mother.

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I would wait until Monday and talk to Amanda again. It sounds like you are getting conflicting information to what she originally told you. Start with her and go from there.
Quote:
She told me to call her when I am ready with a date and as long as its the same ship/itinerary/price point, there would be no other charges.
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'd call Monday, but it doesn't really sound like it is conflicting information. It seems like the problem is that it is not the same price point - the cruise that you want to switch to is currently at a higher price point than you paid for your initial cruise booking.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Oh, I feel so badly for you. You're trying to do something nice for your father and the stress is probably making you feel sick to your stomach. It's a shame you had to cancel your originaly cruise, but I know you are glad you did it and spent that time with your mother before she passed away. I'm hoping Amanda or someone at Disney can spread a little pixie dust your way and work something out for your family.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'd call Monday, but it doesn't really sound like it is conflicting information. It seems like the problem is that it is not the same price point - the cruise that you want to switch to is currently at a higher price point than you paid for your initial cruise booking.
This is what it sounds like to me as well. Maybe you can call and ask which cruise dates are considered the same price point. You can then figure out what date works best for your family.

I am sorry for your loss and know that it is difficult to deal with that on its own. I hope that you are able to get this worked out so it works well for your family.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is the price difference due to adding a person? You said you are not going to bring your father along so I am assuming that is going to add quite a bit to the total.

I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you get this figured out quickly.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

As others already pointed out, call on Monday and speak directly with Amanda. I am very sorry for your loss and hope that everything works out.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Smile

Hoping that all works out for you- sounds like Amanda will be able to help you. Fingers crossed

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

I had something similar happen two years ago (2 years ago today actually!). We were scheduled to go on the cruise in a couple of days and my dad had a heart attack and ended up with double by pass surgery. My parents were also scheduled to come on the cruise. We were able to push the cruise out, pay the $100 pp, but we also had to upgrade our cabins at least one category. We were happy with that. Are you sure you understood Amanda? We are leaving tomorrow on the cruise that got cancelled 2 years ago...

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Is the price difference due to adding a person? You said you are not going to bring your father along so I am assuming that is going to add quite a bit to the total.

I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you get this figured out quickly.
I wondered that too. I wonder if by adding him, the difference is simply to add another person?

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the replys, and thank you for your sympothies. Maybe I did misunderstand her I'm still going to try to call Amanda on Monday, but we may have to push it back further if she cant do anything for me.

To those who were wondering, no.. my dad's portion was not the increase in price. I figured I would be paying for him... but, as the fourth guest in one of the cabins. I wasn't anticipating having to pay additional money for lower grade cabins PLUS my dad .... but, I understand there's probably no way around it.

Thanks guys.... I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: