Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Vent/warning - newer credit cards without raised numbers

Pardon the lack of paragraphs, on my ipad.

Anyone else have one of these? I've got one, my husband has 2 . They are flat and do not have the raised numbers on them. Well, mine, a Chase Sapphire card boasts " no foreign transaction fee" so this is what I chose to use on my vacation. Except, no car rental company in the country I am in will rent a car to you without a card imprint which you cannot get on a flat card. Simply photocopying the numbers or writing them down is not enough. No imprint means no car. Didn't think of that before we left! Well guess we will use hubby's card. Oops his is flat, too. Ok, I will just use my debit card. But wait, you need to put a 1000 hold on the card in case of damage, and it can take " about a month" to release the hold. So my checking account will have 1000 bucks held for a month? I should have brought a third card, but when traveling abroad I try to take anything superfluous out of my wallet In case it gets stolen. Lesson learned. So here I sit in a hotel room trapped.too rainy to hang by the pool. All the places we were to drive to are too expensive to taxi to. Nothing nearby to do and a taxi ride to a place 20 minutes away is 50 bucks. Before you ask, we did try several rental agencies, all are a no go.

I tried calling Chase and they were no help. They said this has never happened before (not true as evident by my google search) and suggested I take a cash advance with an exorbitant rate to rent the car. They also said they would be happy to mail one with raised numbers to my home address, completely oblivious to the fact this will not help me now. Learn from our mistake. Take 3 cards when traveling and make sure you and your husband don't take flat cards. I'm going to end up using my debit card and dealing with the long hold. Ugh.

Don't let it happen to you! Just thought I'd put it out there since we overlooked this minor detail.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
IMissEd
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the warning!
WDW ASMo- 2/2001
WDW CSR- 10/2005
DCL Wonder 10/2007
WDW POP/SOG- 10/2008
WDW SOG- 10/2011
IMissEd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Wow.. didn't even think of that. I haven't rented a car in so long for personal use (all business) that I forgot all about the raised imprint thing.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I would have never thought of that but I also haven't had anyone imprint my card in a decade as far as I know.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Wow! Thanks for that info. I had to check my cards out and the only one without the raised #'s is my Kohl's card, lol.

We still imprint cards where I work but we use a cc machine for the actual charge. We imprint to prove that we actually had the card in hand.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
RitaE
DIS Veteran

That is something that never would have occurred to me either.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

My bank got rid of "raised numbers" years ago. We have run into problems with them too esp. if you go to a "fair" where they imprint your card.

Thanks for the info, will keep that in mind.

Are you "out of the USA"?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
lovin diz
DIS Veteran

Dont go shopping at Hobby Lobby with them either...lol...DH went to buy me something there and his card was not accepted.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

we have a card like that too.

Not only are the numbers not imprinted, the card is up and down rather than side to side, so it looks really wonky !
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

I have a card that doesn't have raised numbers and I have been able to rent cars with no problem.

I did find out though that at Walmart that they won't accept cards where you have to manually enter your CC number. Something is wrong with the swipe on my card and it won't swipe through some machines and Walkmart is apparently one of the them. The manager told me the bank won't approve cards that you have to manually enter. Funny how at the few other places where it has happened they had no problem with just typing in the CC number and it going through. At least it reminded me why I hate shopping at Walmart.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I am outside of the USA but in a very touristy area.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
DarthKTrava
Carolina Panthers Fan

I've not heard of non-raised imprint cards. I've seen non-raised license plates.... but not cards.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
I have a card that doesn't have raised numbers and I have been able to rent cars with no problem.

I did find out though that at Walmart that they won't accept cards where you have to manually enter your CC number. Something is wrong with the swipe on my card and it won't swipe through some machines and Walkmart is apparently one of the them. The manager told me the bank won't approve cards that you have to manually enter. Funny how at the few other places where it has happened they had no problem with just typing in the CC number and it going through. At least it reminded me why I hate shopping at Walmart.
my credit card didn't swipe yesterday at Walmart (my fault, I put it thru the washer and dryer and it's kind of warped...CC company is sending me a new one but it hasn't arrived yet), and the cashier had no problem entering the number manually. I find at Walmart if they tell you that you can't do something, you can usually ask someone else and then find out that that it CAN be done.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
my credit card didn't swipe yesterday at Walmart (my fault, I put it thru the washer and dryer and it's kind of warped...CC company is sending me a new one but it hasn't arrived yet), and the cashier had no problem entering the number manually. I find at Walmart if they tell you that you can't do something, you can usually ask someone else and then find out that that it CAN be done.
The sad thing is, I talked to 3 people and they all said it (it was area right by the front end manager stand). If I had been in a better mood I would have argued with them about it. I just left and went to Petsmart to get the kitty litter that I needed since Target doesn't carry it.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Try going through Auto Europe.

It's a rental wholesaler in the states. (Legit place, I worked there 3 years. ) They book cars through Avis, Eurocar {National}, Sixt, etc depending on where you are.)

They have toll free numbers from Europe. http://www.autoeurope.com/eurotel.cfm (You'll be talking to someone in Portland, ME, and they are open 24h.) You may have to ask for a res supervisor at AE (average res agent probably won't know), but perhaps they could tell you someone who would do it without needing the imprint.

Good luck!

Last edited by MichelleinMaine; 10-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.
MichelleinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: