Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Resorts...what would you do

We are going in a few weeks and DH and I are taking our moms. My mom comes with us often but MIL has never been to Disney and really hasn't been on a week vacation ever. Since DH and I are footing most of the bill (my mom is paying her part of the trip) we have gone back and forth about where to stay. We started at CSR in one room for all 4 of us. Then decided let's just stay at AKL bc his mom will never have a chance to experience anything like that. Then we took a tour of AOA in Sept. and figured the extra space would be really nice with 2 bathrooms and separate sleeping areas.

We would have just stayed off site but since it is his moms one and probably only trip we wanted to stay on property. Now I am wondering if we should switch back to AKL bc the price is the same at AOA. We will just be all stuck in one room for a week. What would you do??

June 2014-POFQ Quick 4 night trip for SWW then off to the beach!

September 2014-Split Stay. 4 nights FD AKL, 10 nights BCV for F&W

Me DH DD (infant) DS (teen) Ellie :

Last edited by alicia080979; 10-18-2012 at 10:14 AM.
alicia080979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I love AKL..it's one of my favorite resorts. BUT....if you stay there, the two moms are going to be sharing a bed, right? I would just stay at AoA..then they can each have their own bed, and you have the two bathrooms..and you and dh have some privacy.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Well, the extra room would be nice at AoA but the 2 moms would have pull outs in the living room, how would that work? And will they share a bed at AKL?

What about booking 2 rooms at a moderate, POR is our fav, or 2 rooms at a value ? That may be cheaper then the family suites.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I love AKL..it's one of my favorite resorts. BUT....if you stay there, the two moms are going to be sharing a bed, right? I would just stay at AoA..then they can each have their own bed, and you have the two bathrooms..and you and dh have some privacy.

Thanks...that is what I keep telling myself. I just love AKL and knowing we could be staying there is driving me crazy, lol. I know MIL will be impressed with any of because she never goes anywhere so I'm sure she will love AOA just as much. We will definitely be taking her over to all of the deluxes to see all the Christmas decorations anyways. *Sigh* I am going to miss AKL!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

You know in your situation I would really consider renting DVC points - staying at AKL (AKV) in a two bedroom sounds ideal really - and for say 220-250 points you might could do that - at $10/point may actually be the answer! I wouldn't give up on AKL just yet - might be an option worth exploring. I don't know if they would be able to do that in just a few weeks though - time may be an issue with DVC rentals - but I would at least inquire. Davids DVC rentals gets good reviews on the boards - may be worth looking into! Otherwise I would go for the more space AoA or even 2 rooms at a value - you can always go visit AKL - have a meal and enjoy the animals no matter where you are staying!!

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report

Last edited by ExpatDisneyLover; 10-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I'm not sure how spry these Moms are, but would a bunk bed room at AKL work for your group? No Moms sharing beds that way, but you are down to one bathroom (which is workable with four adults).

Or a Junior Suite at WL?
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I would stick with AoA.. 2 bathrooms and everyone gets their own bed.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatDisneyLover View Post
You know in your situation I would really consider renting DVC points - staying at AKL (AKV) in a two bedroom sounds ideal really - and for say 220-250 points you might could do that - at $10/point may actually be the answer for you! I wouldn't give up on AKL just yet - might be an option worth exploring. I don't know if they would be able to do that for you in just a few weeks though - time may be an issue with DVC rentals - but I would at least inquire. Davids DVC rentals gets good reviews on the boards - may be worth looking into for you! Otherwise I do think space will be the best for you AoA or even 2 rooms at a value - you can always go visit AKL - have a meal and enjoy the animals no matter where you are staying!!
That would have been my suggestion as well, but they are going in a month or so. There is probably nothing available at this time for DVC. But, it would have been a great idea!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Well, the extra room would be nice at AoA but the 2 moms would have pull outs in the living room, how would that work? And will they share a bed at AKL?

What about booking 2 rooms at a moderate, POR is our fav, or 2 rooms at a value ? That may be cheaper then the family suites.
Granted there are not totally separate rooms but I think there is a enough separation between the Murphy bed in the dining room and the pull out in the living room that it allows for a bit more personal space.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariep26 View Post
Granted there are not totally separate rooms but I think there is a enough separation between the Murphy bed in the dining room and the pull out in the living room that it allows for a bit more personal space.
Have to agree. Besides, if they booked two rooms, the two moms are still going to be sharing a bathroom and be in beds about 18'' apart. If the price is the same, then sure, book two rooms. The privacy is going to be the same.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post

I like this idea the best. They'll each have their own bed and you'll have some space instead of all four in one room. POR is really nice, they will love the grounds.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Okay...I just ran some numbers for a stay from the last weekend in Nov for a week, to Dec 1. I got...
AoA...family suite...$1822
AoA...regular room.....$861
POFQ...regular room....$1428
AKL..regular room (pool view)...$2526
AKL..regular room (savannah view)...$2900

So, it boils down to what kind of experience you want. And whether or not the moms are okay sharing a bed. If they are, then go with POFQ..nice, small resort.
If they don't want to share, then go with either 2 AoA regular rooms, or 1 family suite at AoA.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
married2mm
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE

So, it boils down to what kind of experience you want. And whether or not the moms are okay sharing a bed. If they are, then go with POFQ..nice, small resort.
If they don't want to share, then go with either 2 AoA regular rooms, or 1 family suite at AoA.[/QUOTE]

i agree

i know everyone is different but much as i love my mom-
i would not want to share a room with her nor would she want to share a bed with my mil either!

going on vacation together is lovely-all sharing a room, beds and bathrooms is most certainly not
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the input. Once we decided to take my MIL on a trip a few months ago the first thing I did was check DVC points but there was nothing available at AKL. Once we decided on AKL or AOA with the extra cost I suggested that we get 2 rooms but my mom wasn't comfortable with that bc she doesn't really know MIL. I could tell she was afraid we would just leave her with her all the time by herself, lol.

I am the official Disney planner so I think I just drive myself crazy trying to make sure A) everyone is comfortable and B) his mom has this great trip but everytime I ask for suggestions everyone says, whatever you think. I think I just need to stop worrying about it and we will just take her to go get some zebra domes and show her around AKL to see the animals and Christmas decorations. Normally I like planning our trips but MIL lives 9 hours away, we haven't seen her in 3 years, and she never goes anywhere so I feel all this extra pressure to make it this trip as perfect as I can for her.

I am also worried about AOA feeling to childish. It is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun but we don't have kids so I also worry about that aspect too. It is just 7 days and she is getting a free vacation so she will love it no matter what right??? hehe

Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I, too, vote for two rooms at a mod. You will end up with four real beds, not pull-outs or pull-downs, and a bit more privacy. We stayed at AoA in June and the walls were thin and it was quite loud. I did not get a good night sleep the whole time we were there. AoA is also very kid-oriented. I think the theming at the mods is a little more sophisticated for an adults-only trip.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: