Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Korileigh
Mouseketeer

Combo WDW and Cruise trip?

Has anyone here done WDW first and then cruised? Is it too much? Does it lessen the fun of the cruise at all? We are going on the Dream in December - my mom is taking my family and we are thinking of going down before the cruise with just our kids to do Disney for about 8 days. My mom is worried it will somehow take the fun out of the cruise but I think it sounds fabulous. I just wondered what other's experiences have been like. This will be our first Disney cruise but we have done Disney several times. We kind of figure if we are already going to be down there why not? And our kids are getting older where it will be harder and harder to pull them out of school so we feel like this might be our last chance to do a long trip on off season dates.

Thanks!
Kori
Korileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

We have done WDW and then cruised twice. In NO WAY did it spoil either part of the trip!

WDW and DCL have their own special and are completely different animals altogether. We found that the cruise actually gave us a chance to relax and unwind, since the parks can be a pretty busy vacation, what with all the walking around and the lines. A 3 day cruise felt too short, of course but it capped off the parks wonderfully.

I vote go for it!

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

We are going to do a 4 nt cruise then 2 nights at Universal. I was worried about Disney overload. My boys are 20, 10 and 8. Our fellow travel mates thought the same. Their kids are 8 and 10.

That said, we did WDW 2 years ago...if we hadn't I'd do it instead of Universal.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
hpsalb
Mouseketeer

We've done it twice, both before DS was in the picture. As you can see from my ticker, we are doing it again this spring. They are different experiences and I don't think one spoils the other EXCEPT if you overdo it in the parks and are totally beat by the time you get to the ship. Eight days is plenty of time to see the parks and not feel super rushed, so I say go for it!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

They are such different experiences that it is not really an overload. We did it in January/February and plan on doing WDW/DCL again in the future.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
DisneyMom70
Mouseketeer

We just did this in June. WDW for 8 nights and then the 7 night Eastern (with in-laws) on the Fantasy. First time for most of us for both experiences. It was great, and I would do it again in a heartbeat since we are from the west coast. They were both so different, and were great complements to each other.

For us, the cruise gave some great character interactions without the pressure of "gotta get the signatures". It was very relaxing after running from ride to ride, and yet still was totally Disney. It was also nice to get a bit more parent time, since the kids were happy to be in the kid's club. We also got a bonus night courtesy of the in-laws which was really nice after the intense family time at WDW.

Disneyland AP***DCL Fantasy - June 30-July 6, 2012***WDW - June 21-June 30, 2012
DisneyMom70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Canadianfamily
Mouseketeer

We've done 2 WDW/DCL vacations and one DL/DCL vacation and loved all three! We much prefer WDW first then a cruise- busy in the parks and then time on the cruise to relax We find it's easier to do one big WDW/DCL trip instead of two smaller trips. My suggestion- go for it!

Canadianfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

We take it to the next level. Last year and this year we are going 2 days before the cruise and then a week after. We will have APs so the tickets won't be a problem. Getting there a little before decreases the arrival stress and since we've been to WDW several times we can relax a little more during the week after.

Strawberry's mom&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
maxmouse
A Disneyland Kid who grew into a Disneyworld fan.

We have done it once, 8 days at WDW and then a 4 day cruise and it was great. I would also recommend WDW first and then the cruise. I have always said that you need a vacation when you get back from WDW, so add a cruise and time to relax.
1997 Shades Of Green
2008 40th Birthday's Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder
2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 Disney Magic
2013 Pop Century
maxmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

We have done it twice with DS, 4 first time 5 second and are doing it again in 2013. First time did WDW before (4 nights) then 7 night western, then 5 nights off site but visited Disney and Sea World. Second time did WDW 4 nights then 7 nights eastern, then straight home - decided this wasn't long enough having come from the UK so 2013 are doing 4 nights WDW, 7 nights Eastern then 6 nights in an Orlando villa doing non Disney stuff as we haven't tried that yet! Definitely recommend WDW first then the cruise to relax a bit!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

We have done it 3 times. The first time 4 night land/3 night sea. 2nd time was 3 night land/4 night sea. 3rd time was 3 night land/5 night sea. For us, it in no way spoils the experience as they are totally different experiences. It is like taking 2 completely different vacations both with a Disney Theme. I would however, try to include mom on the land portion letting her know that you are not trying to upstage what she has planned.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

It costs so much to fly to FL from CA that we can't justify doing only WDW or DCL, we have to do both in one trip. So we're doing a week at WDW and then a week on the Fantasy, hopefully in 2014 with my husband's family and hopefully my mom for the WDW portion (she won't cruise). It's already been postponed twice due to money constraints. I am also insisting that we do the parks first so we can rest and recover on the ships.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

In August 2010, we spent 8 days at WDW followed by a 4 night cruise. We didn't wear ourselves out at the parks because we had lots of time. However, it made the cruise seem even more relaxing because we were able to sleep in and not worry about rope drop!
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
j&j620
Mouseketeer

I say that sounds like the perfect vacation

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
j&j620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

We did WDW before the cruise twice. We did WDW before & after the cruise once. We didn't think it spoiled anything. We did enjoy relaxing on the cruise so we do like doing it beforehand. I don't think you can go wrong doing WDW & a cruise no matter what you do...but that's just me maybe.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: