Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Chabby
Mouseketeer

Which one is your favorite moderate?

Hi guys:
My family has only stayed in values before. Next year we are planning to go in September to celebrate my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary and we will be staying in a moderate. Please help me decide. Which one is your favorite and why?

Our party consists of: my elderly parents with whom DH, DD7, DS2 and I would like to share a suite; and my brother, his wife, DD20 and DS17, who will be staying in a separate but close-by room.

We would prefer ground floor and close to the main building. In March we didn't ask for a preferred room and ended up with a 15 minute walk each way to and from the food court and bus stops

TIA!
Chabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

The only Moderate that will have a room for 5 plus 1 under 3 is the Alligator Bayou section of Port Orleans. And though the rooms are nice, I would in no way consider them a suite. They have 2 queen beds and 1 murphy bed. Add in a pack-n-play for your 2 yr. old and you're looking at one very crowded room.

There are other options though:

1 Family Suite and 1 standard room at All Star Music
1 Family Suite and 1 standard room at Art of Animation
Renting DVC points for at least a 2 bedroom
3 standard rooms at a moderate or value
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Chabby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
The only Moderate that will have a room for 5 plus 1 under 3 is the Alligator Bayou section of Port Orleans. And though the rooms are nice, I would in no way consider them a suite. They have 2 queen beds and 1 murphy bed. Add in a pack-n-play for your 2 yr. old and you're looking at one very crowded room.

There are other options though:

1 Family Suite and 1 standard room at All Star Music
1 Family Suite and 1 standard room at Art of Animation
Renting DVC points for at least a 2 bedroom
3 standard rooms at a moderate or value
Thanks!

I guess I should add that we are not sure DH will be joining us. That is our main reason for wanting a room big enough for my parents, the children and us. In case he can join at the last minute.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
elaw
DIS Veteran

Which one is your favorite moderate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabby View Post
Hi guys:
My family has only stayed in values before. Next year we are planning to go in September to celebrate my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary and we will be staying in a moderate. Please help me decide. Which one is your favorite and why?

Our party consists of: my elderly parents with whom DH, DD7, DS2 and I would like to share a suite; and my brother, his wife, DD20 and DS17, who will be staying in a separate but close-by room.

We would prefer ground floor and close to the main building. In March we didn't ask for a preferred room and ended up with a 15 minute walk each way to and from the food court and bus stops

TIA!
You might find this thread helpful ... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2881809
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
shopn24seven
DIS Veteran

POR is SO relaxing.....I suppose PORFQ is the same.
I really enjoyed my stay there.
CBR is my FAV, although it may not suite your needs.

2014 OKW
2014 AoA
2013 BC
2012 POR
2011 CR
2010 AKL
2009 POP
2004 ASMo
1984 Off Site FIRST VISIT
shopn24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Chabby
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys!

I don't love the carnival theme at POFQ. However, everything else about it sounds great.

Thanks for the link elaw it was excellent!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Just be aware that if your DH does join you and you want to room with your parents, POR and the cabins at Ft. Wilderness are your only Moderate options.

If your DH doesn't joing you CBR and POFQ will become options.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

CSR is our favorite moderate.

However, given your situation, I would probably do a suite and a regular room, or 2 suites at AoA!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter because it is a smaller, more compact resort which would be easier for your parents to navigate. The theming is wonderful and the whole resort is beautiful! But you would need to rent 2 rooms for all of you, along with the separate room for your brother's family. But in the end, I think you'll find its VERY worth it! If it weren't your parent's anniversary I would say go for a family suite at a value resort, but this is a special trip so you should spread out a little more and stay in 2 rooms at the moderate resort.

My other favorite is Riverside but it is a VERY spread out resort. So if your parents are able to handle the possible long walks from the room to the main bldg and back then go for it! Personally I hate the theming of the Aligator Bayou rooms since the recent rehab, as a PP suggested.

These resorts are sister resorts so you can share ammenities between the 2 resorts. There is a very nice relaxing boat ride between the resorts and Downtown Disney. Both resorts have evening entertainment in the lounge (the kids would LOVE Yeehaa Bob at Riverside!) and Riverside has a delicious restaurant too!

I really think you should consider 2 rooms at the moderate resort to make this the special memory-making trip you want for your parent's milestone anniversary!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
nkereina
Wendy Darling

There are not suites at the moderate level, with the exception of jr suites at CSR but those do not hold 5 people (just has a sitting area that makes the room slightly bigger than a standard).

There are the family suites at AoA or All Star Music (both value) or the FW cabins which are moderate. If you want a suite, renting DVC points would be your best bet to keep costs down.

POR does hold 5 however its a standard size moderate room with an extra bed that folds down that is big enough for children 10 and under. It would be cramped, the rooms are not spacious.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
kiddisney
DIS Veteran

we like po the best

pofq is our favorite - my parents liked it because it's small - if we only have 4 people we chose this one - your parents may like it because of the closeness -

por can handle 5 people in the rooms - but the trundles are smaller than a twin bed -

caribbean has the largest rooms - but it's also more expansive -

wdw: '83,'85-'86,'88-'89,'91-'93,'95,'97-'99,'02-'03, '05-'06, '08 -'14 (30 visits & counting - 10 trips in 13 months to visit dd: wdw imagineering intern & ds: wdw cp)
dl: '82,'87,'95
dcl: '98,'99,'00,'02,'03,'04 ... '11,'12,'14 (dbl dips gives us platinum)

kiddisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
WorldOfColorful
Earning My Ears

I'll second Port Orleans Riverside. It's quite lovely.
WorldOfColorful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfColorful
I'll second Port Orleans Riverside. It's quite lovely.
I also love Port Orleans Riverside the best. Its gorgeous, the grounds are stunning. The food court is fantastic. Pool is great.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

We love POR and have stayed there several times. The grounds are beautiful, food court is great and the main pool is really fun. We always have a great time. Plus, it does sleep 5 which it sounds like you need.

Me(43) DH(47) DS17 DD11 DS8 DS5

theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Sue M
DIS Veteran

There is NO way I'd stay in 1 room with 4 adults and 2 kids. I really think you should consider 2 rooms. Even if your husband doesn't come, I think the grandparents would prob appreciate some quiet alone time and space for their 50th Anniv!
Not to mention the bathroom situation, and nowhere to move with 4 adults, 1 child on the Murphy bed and another in a pack and play, you'd be falling on top of each other. Not a very magical vacay. If price is an issue, do 2 rooms at a value. It would be way better then a crammed room.

Our fav. moderate is POR in the Mansion section. But those rooms only sleep 4, so if you are going to share, you'd have to be in AB section. The rooms there have a rustic theme.

POR just has a bit more to offer with the boat to DTD, Horse & Carriage rides- you should send them on this for their Anniv!! And evening (family) entertainment in the lounge. The landscaping is beautiful, I love strolling along the river paths.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: