Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Deluxe vs Moderate

We are repeatedly going back and forth between the Beach Club and POR for our December trip. Our original plan of the ASMu Family Suite is out the door because there are none available (why didn't I made the reservation last week when they had it!). Somehow we warped from that plan into these two choices.

For those that are out at the parks most of the day, is it worthwhile to stay at the Beach Club? I thought we could take the monorail to the MK but now find out we have to walk all the way through Epcot to get there. Not nearly as enticing.

So, for just Epcot access, and less so DHS since we will likely only go there one morning, is it worth the extra expense?

We are also going in December so it will be unlikely we will use the pools.

I am very indecisive, any ideas???

Thank you!

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

being able to walk to EPcot is great.

that say you only get to walk (or boat) to Epcot and Studios - everythng else is bus.

if MK is going to be your main park - just stay at PO

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

If you are into going to the parks all day, and only go back to your resort to sleep, then no, I don't think the extra cost is worth it at all.
POR is our fav moderate, it's beautiful, has a boat to DTD, great food court, and evening entertainment in the lounge.

We prefer the mansion section. Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace are great locations.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others. I would stay at POR. We had the same problem last year. We booked BC but as I thought about it and planned out our days and we had EPCOT planned for 2 out of 10 day trip, the extra $100+ price difference per night was not worth it to us. We ended up staying at POFQ and had a great stay. Good luck in what ever you choose!

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
GrumpysFavoriteGirl
Earning My Ears

Another vote for POR! It's a beautiful resort & it will be beautifully decorated in December! Have a great trip!
GrumpysFavoriteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Rustyroo
Mouseketeer

Do both??

We are also going December, and decided to do a split stay between the two (2 nights POR, 5 nights BC). We LOVE the easy access to Epcot and DHS without having to take buses, but our kids are big on DHS. BC also gives you access to SAB. Our concern with staying POR the whole time was the bus system there (lots of stops, shared with POFQ sometimes). Plus, we make several ADR's in Epcot, so it's easier for us to leave after dinner and take a short walk back to BC. Just my two cents...
Rustyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyroo View Post
We ... decided to do a split stay between the two (2 nights POR, 5 nights BC)
... This is what we would do.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone I am still undecided.

I would love to do a split say, 3 nights POR, 4 nights BC but it is a pain to move with the gazillion baby supplies I ship. Maybe in a couple years.

I might end up flipping a coin.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
paskitti
Earning My Ears

Walking to Epcot is awesome!!! But YOU have to figure out if WALKING is worth hundreds of dollars. Otherwise, use the 100's that you have saved by staying somewhere else (i.e. the Port) and enjoy some awesome meals and souvenirs!

Just sayin'

-skitti
paskitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Laurasw1977
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney
We are repeatedly going back and forth between the Beach Club and POR for our December trip. Our original plan of the ASMu Family Suite is out the door because there are none available (why didn't I made the reservation last week when they had it!). Somehow we warped from that plan into these two choices.

For those that are out at the parks most of the day, is it worthwhile to stay at the Beach Club? I thought we could take the monorail to the MK but now find out we have to walk all the way through Epcot to get there. Not nearly as enticing.

So, for just Epcot access, and less so DHS since we will likely only go there one morning, is it worth the extra expense?

Thank you!
We go every December and stay at BC and use the pool on every trip cause even if its in 70s or 80s the pool is heated. The walk through epcot isnt bad. BC is deluxe but little cheaper then Poly, GF, and any other hotel on monorail.
Laurasw1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post

Thank you!
As much as I love the deluxe resorts, it doesn't sound like BC is a good fit for what you want to do. Getting to the MK would either involve a bus or walking thru Epcot followed by TWO monorail rides (Epcot monorail + MK monorail) or walking thru Epcot + Epcot monorail + boat to MK from the TTC. That's a lot to go thru in order to avoid the bus!

If I were in your shoes, I would book POR and place BC on the wishlist for a time when the kiddo is old enough to really enjoy Stormalong Bay.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

Well, if you are not planning to do the DDP, why not consider the Swan or Dolphin? They are similar to mod resort pricing? Anyhow, just a thought.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We are not doing the DDP, I have the TIW card so we use that for table service meals.

I wish I had priced out the Swan/Dolphin, I hesitate to offer my family any more choices.

I didn't realize the pools were heated, that is good to know. We will pack suits just in case.

My favorite park is Epcot, I could go there everyday. Of course we will be going to MK several times for my son, but he is still young enough that he probably won't care one way or the other.

I think we can all stay in one room at the BC together. At POR it will either be very tight, or we would need two rooms which is more than the BC.

I still might just flip a coin.

Thank you all again for your tips and suggestions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: