Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdKT View Post
Ooh! how did i not know this. i lvoe target and spend a lot of time there...

so qs. my cruise is all paid off.. Can i buy the gc and use them on ship? or call in to add as credit to my cabin?
I would like to know this too!

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940

4 night Wonder Cruise- July '07
Nathan's MAW trip to WDW- Nov '08
7 night NYE Magic Cruise- Dec '09
4night/5night back to back Dream Cruise followed by 6days at WDW-June '11
Disneyland- over 12 times and counting
Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklamomof4boys

I would like to know this too!
Yep. We do this every time
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
Hope2cruise
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can use GC on the ship. I took over $1,000 in GC and applied to my onboard account at GS when I got on the ship. I paid for the excursion, tips, and photos with it. I bought most of mine at Giant Eagle when they had a double gas promotion. They carry $100 & $500 so it was easier than only $50 GC. I paid for the cruise prior using them too. Saved over $600 in gas.
09/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise, 02/11 Pop, 02/11 AS Sports, 02/05 AKL, 02/05 AS Movies, 02/02 Off site, 01/94 Off site, 09/92 Land & Sea Honeymoon, Big Red Boat /Contemporary, 1974 – 1990 Off site multiple times.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #34
Glitzytraveller
Mouseketeer

I paid for my cruise with Disney gift cards I bought at Target. I got the 5% from my Red Card plus 10% with an employee discount. 15% off total!

Past Trips:
Disney Wonder January 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas October 2012
Disney Dream Bahamas January 2012
NCL Epic Europe Cruise May 2011
NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii Cruise June 2005
Disney Wonder Bahamas August 2000
Disney Big Red Boat Bahamas August 1992
Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitzytraveller View Post
I paid for my cruise with Disney gift cards I bought at Target. I got the 5% from my Red Card plus 10% with an employee discount. 15% off total!
You know what the irony is here, when I was at Disneyland after our last cruise one of the CMs noticed by DCL shirt and told me she was going on a cruise the next week. She said she loves to cruise and has been on several DCL cruises. I asked her if she got an employee discount, and she said no, just the on-board-booking discount like everyone else. BUT if you work at TARGET you can get an extra 10% off the GFs which means 10% extra off the cruise!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #36
axfather
Mouseketeer

I just used this coupon today

Took $1000 in gift cards to the register. Cashier first applied the coupon and gave me $50 off which was 5% and also the max. discount on that coupon...then I used the target credit card on the remaining $950 which ended up being $47.50 off so the whole charge was $902.50 for $1000 worth of cards....not bad....
Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #37
MKwatercraftPilot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
You know what the irony is here, when I was at Disneyland after our last cruise one of the CMs noticed by DCL shirt and told me she was going on a cruise the next week. She said she loves to cruise and has been on several DCL cruises. I asked her if she got an employee discount, and she said no, just the on-board-booking discount like everyone else. BUT if you work at TARGET you can get an extra 10% off the GFs which means 10% extra off the cruise!
I can tell you with absolute confidence that Cast Members do get a discount on cruising. I've been on two cruises using cast member discount. It is a very limiting discount, however. Some limitations are:

Cruise must be booked no more than 45 days out (and many sailings will not have cast member rates available, it's based on how full the ships are)
You can only book IGT, OGT or VGT rates. No choosing your stateroom.
No dining time choice.

I'm sure there are more limitations but I do not remember them from my trips. My most recent discounted one was back in January of this year, but I still keep in touch with some friends who are CM's and I know some who took a discounted cruise as recently as last month.

The cast member who you talked to was either unaware of the discounts, chose not to use them because of how restricted they are, was a worker with one of Disney's "operating participants" (something on property that is not actually staffed by Disney, Rainforest Cafe, for instance, at DTD in Florida) .... or she just did not want to tell you that she got a discount, possibly "preserving the magic"
Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #38
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKwatercraftPilot View Post
I can tell you with absolute confidence that Cast Members do get a discount on cruising. I've been on two cruises using cast member discount. It is a very limiting discount, however. Some limitations are:

Cruise must be booked no more than 45 days out (and many sailings will not have cast member rates available, it's based on how full the ships are)
You can only book IGT, OGT or VGT rates. No choosing your stateroom.
No dining time choice.

I'm sure there are more limitations but I do not remember them from my trips. My most recent discounted one was back in January of this year, but I still keep in touch with some friends who are CM's and I know some who took a discounted cruise as recently as last month.

The cast member who you talked to was either unaware of the discounts, chose not to use them because of how restricted they are, was a worker with one of Disney's "operating participants" (something on property that is not actually staffed by Disney, Rainforest Cafe, for instance, at DTD in Florida) .... or she just did not want to tell you that she got a discount, possibly "preserving the magic"
Yes, could be any of those. Or maybe the 10% OBB discount was bigger than the CM discount, because that is the discount she told me she was getting; or maybe even the California resident rate - this was a California Coastal (Pixar) cruise I had just gone on, and she was going one of those also. I think she was directly a CM as this was on Main Street at Disneyland, not Downtown Disney or anything like that.

Anyhoo....still bummed that I didn't get the add'l 5% discount from Target. I wonder if it was just in certain parts of the country? I'm trying not to take it personally, but, seriously Target, what's up??
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing this information. We don't have a Target Red Card any more and rarely shop at Target, but may just have to do that to help save on our upcoming shore excursions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
The Target Red card rocks. The 5% discount is great. My wife thought I was crazy but I wanted to pay for our whole cruise on Disney Gift cards...Mission Successful. I cleared out 4 Metro MN stores.

canon 088 by cari1585, on Flickr

canon 089 by cari1585, on Flickr

Here are a couple useful tips I can share from my experience.

-- If a clerk tells you that you can't buy the cards, ask them to talk to a manager. If the manager says NO, then have them call Credit Services for the Red Card. (I only needed to do this once)
-- A normal store will have 40 cards out on display.
-- When they run the gift cards using the Red Card as payment, it will take a while because it needs to activate each card. (I had to wait for 5 minutes at one store)
-- Look at the back of the cards to find the older ones that have the whole 16 digit number exposed. (Less mess from the scratching off of the security covering)
-- If you have the newer cards you only need to scratch off the the last 4 digits(about 1/3 of the left side) of the 16 digit card number. DCL web site does not require the rest of the numbers.
-- You can make payments online 3 cards at a time. Beware doing it late at night because there payment system will freeze or crash at night.

How to pay with more than one GC at a time (limited to 3 cards a transaction) at DCL website.

- Go to Payment online thru My Reservation ot Castaway Club ("Make a Payment" link
-Go below payment info then click on the link "Use Additional Cards"
- Go to Disney GC section then click on the link "I want to use multiple gift cards"

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Closing this thread and linking to the most current thread.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3062435

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: