Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynypixie View Post
And I add: how can you be sure of the day you will be there in Disney? How do I know if I'll make the trip in one, two or tree days?
When we are traveling with little kids, we usually give ourselves three days. If we get there early (as we have done once!) it's not hard to find a place to stay for one night and then check in at WDW bright and early the next morning.

On our last drive (this September), we left Monday late afternoon and arrived mid-afternoon on Wednesday, driving from near Toronto down the I-75, with three kids ages 5, 7 and 10.

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

We are a family of 3 and drive. We are not in Ontario (Nova Scotia) and it takes us 36 hours. We try to do the drive in 2 days. The first year of driving we took 3 days. We check into Disney on Nov. 29 but are leaving on Nov. 26. Even if weather gets in the way we can take 3 days. My DH uses google maps and is very organized with where/when we stop. How far we can go on gas. Where to stop and has a list of all hotels at each exit. It may sound over board but we are well prepared. And we also bought a Atlas because you never know when you may need to take a back road. We did in Virginia when there was an accident and it would have taken us 2 hours to get through. We pulled a u-turn and took an exit reviewed the map and took a back road.

Disney-Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
peigirl
Mouseketeer

Even though I love my GPS, I take my atlas too...we drive 36 hours from PEI too
peigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
katiegirl
Earning My Ears

We usually drive as well! I like to consider it too trips in one! We usually stop near Charlotte if going I-77 or some where near the Tennessee/Georgia border if doing I-75. We love the change of scenery as we go and there is nothing better than slowly removing layers at each pitstop we make!
My boys are really good in the car and like to take it all in. Our next trip in February we're flying out of Buffalo and as it stands now the cost is pretty comparable to driving. I'm still not convinced so I'll have to wait and see.
I'm already kind of sad about the not driving part but the boys really wanted to ride in an airplane (DH included ) so I caved.

Off Site Feb.1988, Port Orleans French Quarter Feb.1992, All-Star Music Oct.2001, Caribbean Beach Resort Oct.2003, Pop Century May 2007, Fort Wilderness Cabins Dec.2010, Art of Animation- Cars Suite Feb.2013, Fort Wilderness Campsites -rented trailer Oct. 2014

katiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

We have driven to FL and other southern US states many times. We used to drive all night as the kids slept but a few years ago decided that it really was not a safe thing to do. So what we do now is this....
DH goes to bed the night we are leaving by 9pm and sleeps until we leave at 2-2:30am. He's had a good 5+ hrs of sleep and feels rested. While he sleeps I finish packing the car and getting everything ready. When we leave I stay awake until we cross the border and then as soon as we cross and get on the right highway I sleep. I will sleep about 3hrs and by then DH needs to stop for coffee. From that point on we drive all day only stopping for gas and to switch drivers. We will nap during the day while one of the kids(teens) keeps the driver company. The plan is always to drive until about 8-9pm and then stop for the night. This leaves about 3-4hrs the next morning, so we can sleep in a little and still be at the WDW resort for lunch.

We always pack all our meals/snacks/drinks in a cooler....we might stop for a fast food dinner just to take a little break. I have kept careful track of the cost of the drive and it ends up being about $575(when gas is low) to $800 when gas is priced around $4/gallon as it is now. This includes the food that I stock the cooler with and a night in a hotel with breakfast included. We drive from the Toronto area and drive a Chev Venture.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: