Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

WDW vs. the terrible twos- and the verdict is... trip update 2/12

Now you didnt think Id reveal the ending on the first page- did you?

Welcome one and all to my trip report. This TR will chronicle the magical and not-so-magical moments of our Disney trip which took place Sept 25- Oct 2.

Now, Im sure youve all heard that conventional wisdom dictates that Disney trips are best saved for when a child is older, and better able to handle difficult situations, waiting in long lines, and most importantly, would remember the trip. This may be sage advice for normal people, the type of people who only take one or two Disney trips in a lifetime, but were not normal people are we? If we were to wait to take our kids to Disney until they were in the age safety zone that would mean 5 years or more with NO DISNEY, add in a few extra kids and you looking at a Disney-less decade! <------- Seriously!

So there really is no other alternative than to jump right in, and weather the storm. The good part (and perhaps truly the best kept secret of WDW), is that the most amazing and magical things can happen, and it all starts with a toddler. Of course there is a flip side to that coin, so it is always best to pack your patience and sense of humor, first and foremost.

I hope you will all join in for the re-living of this adventure. I hope that maybe I can provide some insight (or maybe just- what not to do!) when traveling with a toddler, and that those of who have been there can commiserate, have a good laugh, or remember magical memories of your own.

This trip was originally planned to celebrate Epcots 30th anniversary. I missed the 25th, and have been kicking myself ever since. It was also going to serve the dual purpose of providing a much needed distraction during my DHs deployment. About a month after everything was booked, I found out I was pregnant, so this trip ended up with a third purpose, to have some really fun Mommy and Everett time together before the new baby arrived. Im pleased to report that all objectives were met.

Since some of you may not know me and my family, Ill do some quick introductions and then a few provisos, a couple of quid pro quo.

I am Marissa, the ring leader of this motley crew. I am a 34 year old SAHM who was an archaeologist in my pre-kid life. Ive lost track of how many times Ive gone to Disney, but its been more than 50, less than 100. My many trips were facilitated by living in Florida for most of my 20s, when I used to take weekend trips to the parks at least monthly. Sadly, those days are over, but Ive still managed to make it to the world a few times per year.

Also joining me on this trip was my DS Everett, who will be turning 3 in November. Everett has been to Disney 8 times now, which is pretty stunning. The poor kid is so Disney brainwashed that I think he has no other recourse than to grow up to be a Cast member. He can quote Disney movies, play name that tune with theme park music, and the other day told me he wanted to go outside and look at the stars because stars make your dreams come true. Sometimes I kinda feel like Ive initiated him into a cult, not that its a bad thing or anything.

The last member of our crew is my wonderful mother and Ga-Gae to Everett. I blame all my Disney nuttiness on her. She honeymooned with my Dad at the Contemporary resort back in the 70s, and then started the tradition of yearly family pilgrimages to the mouse. The pace of our trips really ramped up in 1988 when my grandparents moved to Deltona. Then it went from yearly trips to 3 and 4 times a year trips to visit the grandparents, always with days at Disney thrown in. My mom has been a Disney lover all her life, and thanks to her I was hooked at a young age.

Honorable mention on this trip goes to baby #2 (who still doesnt have a name!) who was roughly 28 weeks gestation during the trip. I have to say that doing Disney pregnant was WAY easier than I thought it would be. Sure I got a little more tired, I did try and sit down a little more, I had some swelling in my ankles and some tiredness in my feet, but I still logged 12 hour+ park days with no trouble. I credit the excitement and the adrenaline for part of my success and good old-fashioned sugar for the rest of it.

Notably missing from this trip is my DH, Mark. He would really have loved to join us, but he was otherwise indisposed on an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf. It was nice to have planning and dreaming about the trip as a distraction during the early months of his deployment (he left in July), but it was tough doing so many fun things without him. I felt a little guilty that he missed out on so much with Everett, and just really missed him at times. The good thing is that we are going back in April, shortly after he returns, so we both have that trip to look forward too!

- he much rather have been HERE

- instead he was HERE

Ok, now on to the provisions- I dont have as many pictures as the typical TR. I think I have about 300 for the week, which I think is pretty good, but really would only encompass a morning for some of the more dedicated among us. Im going to do my best to make sure this TR isnt too text heavy, but please bear with me.

Another thing is that the writing of the TR is going to encompass some pretty big doings around here- new baby, searching for a new house, a big move, DH returning from deployment, but I am going to do my VERY best to do timely updates, and I will finish. I havent abandoned a TR yet! I also promised DH Id do a thorough write up of this trip, so he could live vicariously through the TR, so Im definitely going to do it!

All that being said, I hope you chose to join me and follow along. I really value the friends Ive made here on the DIS, and I look forward to meeting and getting to know more of you over the course of this TR!

TR Chapter links

Sept 25- What exit is the airport again?
Episode 2- meltdown mayhem and a magical upgrade
Episode 3: Almost solo in the MK
Episode 4: Panic! at the stroller parking
Episode 5- Once you go tower, you never go back!
Episode 6- Living in a Toddler's Paradise- Part I
Episode 6- Living in a Toddler's Paradise- Part II

Episode 7- Solo time- Part I

Episode 7- Solo time- Part II
PTR info and life updates
ADRs and waitlist info
baby update 11/13
BIG CHANGES
Dh is home!
baby is here!
more changes!

Last edited by CandleontheWater; 02-12-2013 at 02:43 PM.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Cinderella909
Mouseketeer

Wow! Am I first? Yeah! Can't wait to read your trip report! Everett is too cute and definitely old enough to enjoy the parks! Congratulations on the new addition to the family. You have a really nice family!

Thanks Karen
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
pascalstongue
Mouseketeer

Subscribing!

Your family are adorable. Hope the pregnancy is going well.

We're taking the kids to the world for their first trip next year. My DS will be two so I'm interested in picking up any tips and advice you may have.

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Subbing! You look fabulous for 28 weeks!

pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
wuzzy6
Mom to the Fab 4

I'm subbed and ready to see what's next!

FL Native and habitual day-tripper: since 1971; Apr 2002: PO-R; Mar 2014: CSR ; Apr 2014: WL; May 2014: FW-cabin; Sep 2014: BC (?); The planning never stops!
wuzzy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I'm here!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm excited!

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
MeMom
DIS Veteran

That boy of yours looks relatively happy and harmless in most of those pictures, so I am going to guess that the trip turned out quite well.

Jill did okay in her pregnancy until just after she got back from Disney World. That was when she started swelling and feeling bad. I hope you continue to breeze on through.

When are you giving Two a name? Poor thing.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
fi46re129
Mouseketeer

I'm here! Excited to hear all about your trip! Glad it was easier than expected being pregnant!

1995 ASSR, 1998 ASSR, 2002 Off Property, 2003 CR, 2008 Music, 2010 CS, 2010 Music, 2011 CBR, 2013 ASSR & POFQ
fi46re129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!

So excited that your TR is started. Don't feel bad about the pictures - I didn't take nearly as many as I normally do.

That little Everett is such a cutie! I swear he gets cuter & cuter with each TR you write.

I know Mark must have been sad to miss out on the trip. But, I think it's great that he'll be able to live it here through your TR. And, as always, a big thank you to him & yourself for his service!!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I'm here! Who cares if you've got pictures? You're an excellent writer-I really enjoy your TRs and would read if you didn't have any pictures!

Sounds like it was an interesting trip, can't wait to hear about it all!

And I loved the Aladdin reference!
shan23877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I'm in, I always enjoy your TR's. It's so cool that you are passing down your family tradition to your son (and future baby as well), and so nice that each generation has a favorite vacation in common to share!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
amazingact21
Upendi

I'm here! Can't wait to read how your trip went!

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I'm in! I'm sorry your hubby couldn't join you - a huge thanks goes out to him for protecting our country! I'm anxious to read all about your trip

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

I'm on board and can't wait to read all about it I think reading your TR will really help me plan for our trip next year too, as James will turn 3 2.5 months after returning.

And, I must say, I love love love your title
ariel1025 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: